1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Can your love for a club die?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Griffy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

Pretty much this sums it up in all honesty.

I think it’s also about matching real expectations with actual performance. We as fans expect a lot better from the club. Not just performances on the pitch but everywhere. The club is a sleeping giant which could regularly challenge the top half of the table every year realistically whilst improving for the future.

Take Leicester city as a prime example. An excellent ran club who have spent net no more money than we have in the last 10 years.

The love is created with a sense of affinity. When that goes it’s gone. It can be bought back. Bruce for me is the one that’s broken it all. Ashley didn’t really hide what he is and Charnley is just doing a job. We can complain about the lack of investment etc.

But the reality is SB has done a LOT of damage to the relationship of the fans with the club. When you turn on your own fan base. Say the crap he does. Acting without a sense of dignity whilst claiming to be one of us. That’s just plain bad.

Griffy likes this.
  2. mickeybnufc

mickeybnufc Well-Known Member

No,you're born a supporter of a club ( especially Newcastle ) and you'll die a supporter,you may support some other team,switch to another sport,but the Black and Whites will always be there in your heart

3. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

I believe I have also mellowed with age. It only takes me until about Tuesday to talk to my wife now as opposed to Friday after a Saturday defeat.

Also agree the hype and saturation of television doesn’t help. I rarely watch games on television not involving us as I prefer watching live games as I don’t have to suffer the inane drivel passing as football commentary and analysis.

Likewise I used to know all the various facts about players, teams and trophies but don’t now. Think it’s more down to alzheim...a cup of tea would be nice. :)

4. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

I can’t lose the love for the club. The hope that things will improve again eventually never leaves me. Yes I’ve mellowed with age and can take the stick and laugh but losing still hurts, especially pathetic performances such as this weeks at Brighton. Still get a big boost from a win, still get that surge from seeing us score especially important goals.
    Still get that pride inside the ground, still love that Toon fan camaraderie. Still get those memories approaching the ground of going up with my dad, the excitement and anticipation, the smell of the breweries, gleam of the floodlights. The roar as the lads run from the tunnel.
    These things will never leave me but I wish Ashley and Bruce would.
    Love Newcastle, Love Newcastle United, proud to be a Geordie.

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

DPP won't be able to read all that.

6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I think it undoubtedly can. I know plenty who have. I must admit I'm a sucker for punishment. I know in my heart of hearts I should stop watching, I should just ignore it until things get better. But it is an addiction and you don't just undo years of commitment to a cause by turning it off like a tap. We are ****, we have the worst owner, we have a **** manager, I haven't watched any decent football or players for years. However I still love that godforsaken club. The owners, the managers, the players are not, never have been and never will be the club. They all come and go.

7. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Football is like a stale marriage. Arguing, bored, sick of the sight of them.......but you'd be devastated if something happened to them, couldnt live without them.

8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

mickeybnufc likes this.
  9. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

I think he gave it a go

10. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

:bandit:

mickeybnufc likes this.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Proper fan ^^^

That’s the difference for me, the club is in your blood, it’s obvs always been a massive part of your life and it always will be, as it’s literally part of who you are. Fans like you are the lifeblood of the game.

No offence to the self titled, plastic fan chavcunt @Welshie but he’s not got the same affinity to the club as he’s not followed it in the same way, and it’s therefore not a massive part of his existence, hence why he’s tossed the Toon to the kirb and decided to follow Chelsea.

12. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

A understand that a certain generation, those who supported their club since before the turn of the century maybe, are going to find it difficult to shake off their love for the club. However do you think modern football is still capable of breeding from scratch the type of proper fan like Hung, missing one game, clearing the pitch of snow, watching half a pitch through thick fog, freezing his bollocks, against ****e opposition etc? I think that that type of support will be a dying breed over the next few decades and we'll be left with generations of supporters where the majority will only watch their team, when they are winning, through Sky TV, and will cancel their subscription every time their team goes on a losing run. I think it will go like the way pubs have gone, people will rather support/drink at home rather than go to the match/pub.

13. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

Sounds bang on to me.

14. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

I think this is pretty much spot on.

Judge Death likes this.
  15. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Have to be honest, I stopped caring a while back once The Wino was appointed. This decline was inevitable.
    Now I just watch games with a morbid fascination as to how bad we play.
    Just as I think we've hit rock bottom performance-wise, Bruce manages to coax out an even worse display from the players.
    That is ****ing special skill.
    He is an effing "worse than ****" manager.

The worrying thing is, I don't think we have bottomed out yet.

"If you can't be the best, be the worst."

Think that is his family motto!

Arsehole!!!

16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Attendances have continued to rise during the Sky era, and demand for seats showed no signs of dropping off before the pandemic. For example, it was always relatively easy to get a matchday ticket at our place up until the last 7/8 years. Now we’ve got the maximum no. of STH’s permitted by the PL & have 17k on the waiting list. The only general sale tickets are obstructed view and we’ve sold them all out for 4/5 years on the spin - during a period in which we’ve won **** all.

So demand is as high as it’s ever been, the difference between an actual fan and an armchair who might switch off or as per @Welshie change their allegiance is huge, and the game is obviously still breeding the former as well as extending its reach with millions and millions of the latter - Worldwide.

magpie290761 likes this.
  17. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Like **** I did.

For Pouchy I read the 4th paragraph
    For Welshie I read the 2nd paragraph. Load of bollox. Man city have more fans now due to winning and splashing the cash.

18. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

That falls under ambition

19. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

I call it glory hunting

Judge Death and Tobes like this.
  20. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Wrexham <laugh>
    We weren't laughing on the night, all 8,000 of us.
    True fans, not like today's fair weather pussies.