1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cardiff City 2 v 3 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2023-3-28_22-35-29.png Cardiff v Swansea upload_2023-3-28_22-35-29.png

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Venue - Cardiff City Stadium
    Date - 1 April 2023
    Kick off - 3:00pm

Following their much needed win against Bristol City at the Swansea.com Stadium, next up for Russell Martin’s Swansea squad - and straight after the international break - is a visit up the M4 to play Cardiff in the South Wales derby, with the attendant possibility of achieving a double double - or should that be ‘doube doube’ <whistle>

A week last Sunday, the Swans beat Bristol City 2-0 to go a long way towards eliminating any lingering fears of being dragged in to the Championship relegation battle.

Liam Cullen and Olivier Ntcham were on target as the Swans claimed a first win in seven games and move 10 points clear of 22nd-placed Huddersfield with eight games remaining.

To recognise just how much the win against the Robins was sorely needed, it should be remembered that the Swans were fourth in the Championship table after beating Welsh rivals Cardiff in October and had been hoping to mount a promotion challenge. However, a miserable run of three wins in 21 games since that derby victory had seen them edge ever closer towards the relegation scrap.

The day before the Swans beat the Robins, Cardiff were ‘robbed’ of a potentially much needed victory away at relegation rivals Rotherham when the match was abandoned with the Bluebirds leading 1-0.

A Jaden Philogene goal had given Cardiff the lead, before the match was suspended because of an unplayable pitch following heavy rain at New York Stadium.

Referee Oliver Langford initially stopped play to allow the surface the opportunity to drain, but following a 45-minute delay and further inspection, the game was eventually postponed.

Remarkably - suspiciously? - Rotherham had used the sprinklers on the pitch at half-time…..

The Swans have played the Bluebirds on 73 previous occasions under the auspices of the FA/PL/EFL (i.e. excluding Welsh Cup etc), winning 32, drawing 18 and losing 23.

In the corresponding fixture last season, the Swans romped to a 4-0 victory, a result that gave them the first ever double by either side:

Indeed, this fixture has produced some remarkable games over the years, not least the one at Ninian Park on 27 December 1980 (coincidentally my 23rd birthday):

Turning to Saturday, a victory for the Swans would undoubtedly guarantee Championship football next season, whilst a win for the Bluebirds would go a long way to helping guarantee their survival.

On balance, whilst I’d love to achieve a ‘double double’, I’d be happy to return with a point.

However, I have a sneaky feeling that under Sabri Lamouchi, Cardiff will be better organised and more determined - whilst also recognising that they are ‘due’ a victory in these matches - and will run out 2-0 winners.

Hope I’m wrong <cheers>

2. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

3-1 us double double :emoticon-0141-whew: ;)

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Good and fair match thread as usual Taff. <applause> Always interesting to get your views no matter who you are playing. Hope you have called the result right.

Over to Brizzle for our thread. Hope you have copyright registered. <whistle>

Will be an interesting day, 3.00pm kick off on a Saturday. Or you guys on a bubble or free to travel as you want? If the latter it could be "interesting" off the pitch as our half wits will have been in the pubs from mid morning.

Regardless of the result I hope common sense prevails amongst the fans. <ok>

4. Taffvalerowdy

Good words Blue - let’s hope for common sense to prevail, but unfortunately both clubs (all clubs ?) have a minority ….. <cheers>

5. Taffvalerowdy

6. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Not convinced with this one, I honestly don’t think we will win so sitting on the fence for this one 1-1

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  7. Taffvalerowdy

Swansea City is pleased to inform supporters that travel vouchers have now been posted out to those travelling to the Cardiff City Stadium for the South Wales derby on Saturday (April 1).

If attending, we urge you to review the below information, to you are aware of all requirements for this fixture.

You will have been emailed the information provided below, in addition to your coach number. This will also be displayed on the voucher you receive.

We can confirm that boarding of coaches starts at 11.30am and the club advises all supporters to arrive in a timely manner to ensure they board the correct coach.Please note that coaches cannot be delayed, and so prompt arrival is essential.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. Taffvalerowdy

Watch out for those splinters in your arse …. <whistle> <cheers>

9. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Hoping to get ours up either tomorrow evening or Friday.

Good job on the thread Taff :emoticon-0137-clapp very decent write up again.

If Saturday turns out anything like that 3-3 it'll be a hell of a spectacle.

Safe travels to those of you who are paying a visit to the Capital... <cheers>

10. Taffvalerowdy

Cheers Brizzle <cheers>

Makemstine Roger likes this.

11. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

One win away from The Quadruple.

Honestly have no idea how we'll do. The last match before the international break was probably a false dawn let's face it.

However Cardiff may be equally as **** or even worse.

0-0 is probably my guess.

12. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff. I hate these games :emoticon-0100-smile

I agree their new manager seems to have improved their play. I would be delighted with a 1-1 draw but I believe like in recent times we will be up for this more than they will. If we keep them quiet for the 1st 20 mins then I can possibly see us having double number two. But on the other hand we may get Fisher in one of his charitable moods and they run out 2-0 winners.

I will be at Saracens v Ospreys on Saturday to help calm my Derby day nerves. How nice, but unlikely, would a Derby day double be

13. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff
    2-1 home side.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  14. Taffvalerowdy

15. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

16. Taffvalerowdy

Wow - didn’t realise that ‘level of recent dominance’

17. Taffvalerowdy

18. Taffvalerowdy

19. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Glad they're over confident up the road <laugh><cheers>

daimungeezer, 55282 and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  20. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

You guys need to pop over to our board for a true reflection on confidence levels!!

Think many of us would take a draw right now just to break the streak you lot are on against us!!

I hate to have to admit it but our record against you guys is pretty pitiful throughout the history of the fixture. :emoticon-0120-doh: