1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Carragher, Neville & Referees

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Apr 2, 2017.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

started at 7pm inn sky sports 1

A must watch. Excellent program.

VVD likes this.
  2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've got it on record.

3. fatletiss

Carragher when talking to assistants .... "yeah you cost a team a final last week" ....

4. fatletiss

It's impressive. Should have been shown years ago.

5. fatletiss

Finished. Really, really good. I don't often say this and it'll hurt some people, but.. well done Sky and well done the PGMOL for doing that program.

Excellent.

* ****ers still owe us the league cup though :)

6. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah when they all burst out laughing about the cup final stung a little bit. Refs do seem like a massive bunch of weirdos though, not sure about Nevilles idea of getting to know them on a human level

7. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I'm (re)doing the ref course in a few weeks. :bandit:

8. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Some of us do not have Sky so what is it all about?

9. fatletiss

Carragher and Neville went to join in referee training and discuss decisions with them. Very open. Very enlightening.

10. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

Certainly you get to know all the referees in the Saturday/Sunday park leagues and I have to admit, whereas I am certainly not a normal person, I've never really met any referee that wasn't a bit weird - an awful lot seemed to love telling people what to do, presumably that's why they officiate.

I've done it and it's not for me because virtually every footballer at that standard is a gobby w**ker.

holierthanthou and Archers Road like this.

11. fatletiss

I think you must have refereed me :)

12. fatletiss

* is there a verb 'to referee'

13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Yes, it's "to referee".

14. Shepherd's Clearing

Refereed is perfectly cromulant (which is now a word).

I remember one game I had to officiate. We could still win the league and the opposition we're 'not very good' they told us they couldn't get a team so we let them play with several 'not signed on' players (we beat them 9-1 away from home) and eventually we won the game 3-2. During the game several players on their side called me 'Cheating c**t' to which I replied 'If I was cheating the score wouldn't be 3-2', it's the only time I ever shut a team up during a game.

I actually stopped being club secretary after that season (League Club Secretary of the Year winner twice) and just gave up altogether and now this forum is all I have to do with football.

15. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Tbf the league I play in the refs are a complete joke, and fit in very well with your assessment of love to boss people about on a Saturday. This weekend just gone I gave away a free kick (fair enough it was a foul) and their player moved the ball about 10 yards forward from where the foul took place. I pointed it out to the referee who said why are you arguing over 10 yards as if it really matters? My response of "because it's the ****ing rules and that is what you are supposed to be here to enforce" earns me a yellow.

16. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

It really was good/interesting. Left me wanting more. They should do an extra time version.

Looking forward to how/what additional technology can be used to help them.

17. fatletiss

Hats off to Mike Reed. I still hunk he's a knob, but great celebration for his "goal"

18. TBD

TBD Active Member

The sad thing is people don't realise soon there wont be enough refs at the amateur level, people who think it's ok to scream and shout at refs lead to a lot of them just saying **** it and stopping. That might be why you think the ones left 'are weird'. Of course no one ever thinks that there doing a really difficult job for not a lot of reward which is vital to keep the game going. At no level is it acceptable to shout/swear at the ref but people doing so in amateur sport are a disgrace.

BobbyD and fatletiss like this.
  19. Shepherd's Clearing

Never had done - never.

The best refs at an amateur level have always been the ones that treat you as a human and tell you what they're doing and why but in my experience they are few are fair between but having said that as I have stated I have nothng to do with football at any level not because of referees but rather the bulging veined, puce-faced, utter head-cases that used to run and play for Saturday/Sunday park clubs.

I mean we were all utter sh*t that is why we played in that standard, we had to pay to play and if we 'won' something we got a cheap plastic trophy that you can easily buy online for not much cost to remember a game that no one will recall in a few years time.

For instance I've got a trophy for the Commercial Houses Minnows Cup Final - our first season and my first game in the cup was the final - I got man of the match. Anyone interested? Anyone care? Anyone remember? So getting angry and trying to lump people in games like this just use to make me laugh.

Local football? As my dad says - they're not all locked up.

garysfc and TBD like this.
  20. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

After finishing u-18 level I was really unsure about playing in Saturday league football. I love football and loved playing for my local team but every time I had watched the adults play there were fights and horrific challenges. As a tricky winger with a bit of pace I knew I was likely to be on the receiving end of nasty tackles, so I didn't join a team at first. Few years went by and I joined the team I am currently at. All decent blokes but even in training there are squabbles amongst themselves if someone puts in a hard tackle. Then I played my first game. First touched of the ball I had and I was on the receiving end of a two-footed tackle. Had I not jumped I would had a broken ankle. No card for the challenge, not apology from the other player, just some vitriol after I asked him what the **** was thinking. First game ended with having had fights and someone being headbutted in the face. It really is a place for thugs so I really do sympathise with amateur refs.

holierthanthou and TBD like this.