1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

celebrity fans

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Tickton Tiger., Apr 24, 2017.

1. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

Hard
    go away you're making my head spin!

2. Barrington Womble

Barrington Womble Well-Known Member

Doesn't Paul Denman from Sadé follow City?

3. bobby ace

bobby ace Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]Genuine City fans who are celebs are: Mark Herman (film writer/director), Mark Robinson (cricket coach), Roy North (DJ/TV presenter, Basil Brush companion), Robert Crampton (writer for The Times), Sir Tom Courtenay (actor - might not get there much at present but was regular for many years), Tommy Coyle (seems genuine fan).[/QUOTE]

Robert Crampton is no Hull City supporter. He may have mentioned us in his banal column (for the kudos he earns by being 'real') but I doubt he's ever been to a match.

4. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Genuine City fans who are celebs are: Mark Herman (film writer/director), Mark Robinson (cricket coach), Roy North (DJ/TV presenter, Basil Brush companion), Robert Crampton (writer for The Times), Sir Tom Courtenay (actor - might not get there much at present but was regular for many years), Tommy Coyle (seems genuine fan).[/QUOTE]

Robert Crampton is no Hull City supporter. He may have mentioned us in his banal column (for the kudos he earns by being 'real') but I doubt he's ever been to a match.[/QUOTE]

He did used to go to City and post on CI as Sporting Minstrel.

5. The greengrocer

Genuine City fans who are celebs are: Mark Herman (film writer/director), Mark Robinson (cricket coach), Roy North (DJ/TV presenter, Basil Brush companion), Robert Crampton (writer for The Times), Sir Tom Courtenay (actor - might not get there much at present but was regular for many years), Tommy Coyle (seems genuine fan).[/QUOTE]

Robert Crampton is no Hull City supporter. He may have mentioned us in his banal column (for the kudos he earns by being 'real') but I doubt he's ever been to a match.[/QUOTE]

So you've totally ignored the fact that Rotherray goes to most matches and is a member of one of britains most successful bands and writers?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Trevor Bolder - I think the Spiders From Mars were rather more significant that The Beautiful South.

7. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

He goes to plenty of matches and speaks knowledgable and passionately about City away from his column (i.e. in real life). His family are big City fans too. As for Dave Rotheray, I had no idea he was a big City fan. Add him to the list.

8. The greengrocer

I'm pointing out DR should be way up the list before people start mentioning Prescott & basil brush!

9. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Was it Hazell??

The greengrocer likes this.
  10. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Unless he plays the drums he can **** off.

11. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

'They used to play on grass' by El Tel.

No- not read it.
    Correctly foresaw the ascent of Hull City to take their rightful place among the elite of English football.

12. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Liam Garrigan, the actor, is a City fan. I seem to recall he was at Watford away earlier this season.

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

AlRawdah likes this.
  13. bobby ace

bobby ace Well-Known Member

Odd. I knew RC back in the 80s and remember nothing of him then being a City supporter. I don't read his column so had no idea he had written about the club.

14. City Man

Alan 'Superhoop' Johnson names his all time top DQPR XI in this month's Backpass mag.
    Snide HCFC I'm afraid.

15. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Never sold as many records though.

16. Tickton Tiger.

Long, long time ago at a place called Boothferry Park, Terry Venables was managing a team playing against The Tigers, must have been Palace ? anyway it had been a dreadful first half.
    And the motely crew of regulars huddled together on the half way line in The Well were giving the opposition team and management the usual stick as they ran out to play the second half. El Tel surprised us all by not taking his place in the away dug out but instead shoved the steward aside and took his place on the terrace with us. He stood there for a good twenty minutes discussing football with us and agreeing that his team were even worse then ours. Nice bloke with the common touch, unlike Micky Horswill who slung a bucket of water over us once, and he was our captain.

17. City Man

Amazing story, surprised it's not more widely known.
    If it happened in 2017, it would be front page news and Venables branded a nutter like PB was after Man City away in 2008.
    I remember Elton Furnish's visit in 1978 (?) with his chopper out on the training ground. Didn't he have his shoelaces undone or summat as he rested his (no doubt) platform shoes on the front wall of the Directors' Box?

18. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Was that in his perma hat or baldy locks period..or even the transplant fail...

19. City Man

It was in his hooligan period with 'Saturday Night's alright for fighting'

20. Tickton Tiger.

It was Nov 5th 1978 and John had been on Edmonds Multi Coloured Swap Shop in the morning when he said he was off to Hull in the afternoon to watch Watford. He indeed sat in the Directors Box, right near the front too, almost within touching distance of the unruly mob of 'half way liners'. Never be allowed to get within 100 yards of him today in todays football climate. He was wearing some sort of silly hat, possibly a straw boater, memory fails me, but I do know he took a tremendous amount of stick and took it well. One of our lads threw a straw wig or something into the Directors Box in his direction. Today 10 foot tigers muttering make the main BBC Look North News, in those days no-one battered an eye lid, it was all part of the day out. He must have felt very uncomfortable sat there all afternoon the butt of some cruel jibes and chanting and seeing his team getting walloped 4-0 on the field. Welcome to Hull Mister Celebrity.