1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Centr-Mid Pairing.

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by ForestHillBilly, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

What is our best midfield duo? Could Pritchard and Stephens be the new Parker and Jensen? What about Hughes and Hollands, when we scored so many goals? Do we stick with Hollands and Stephens since they are our 2 most talented players? Should JJ be moved inside? and what about Russell? Mmm?

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

For me it has to be Hollands and Stephens. It hampers DH's attacking threat, but Stephens possession play and his service will benefit our strikers more. Plus he is also deemed a "goal scoring" midfielder himself.

3. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

Good question.

Stephens' place seems to be assured now, we managed ok without him but Powell clearly sees him as the guile which will unlock defences. It's clear he has oodles of talent, often a class above this level, and if we can harness that as we did in the opening weeks of the season we should be able to get back to our old selves.

I've said before that I think Hollands needs a break. He's been superb so far but according to those who went last night he looked leggy. If we don't get control of the midfield we sometimes resort to lumping it long to Kermorgant, which usually doesn't lead to anything (not that that's Kermo's fault). Also, not that I'd ever accuse Hollands of taking his place for granted, Powell's decision to rest BWP shows that the same could, and I think should, happen to him.

I don't think moving Jackson into the middle would work, as he can often go quiet in games, which is not fatal when he's on the left flank but if he were in the centre would cause more problems.

Pritchard has done very little wrong since he came in. He has a terrific attitude and a terrier-like persistence, even if he is a bit of a lightweight. I would consider putting him in alongside Stephens, as to my mind they would complement each other well.

Another option would be Hughes, whose passing is atrocious but whose defensive work is second to none. This would entail getting Stephens to move forward more, though, which occasionally he seems reluctant to do, as Hughes is as scared as Semedo was of going beyond the half way line. Defensively that's great, attacking wise not so.

As for Russell...I'm still not sure what kind of player he is, not having seen that much of him. Undoubtedly he has steel, as he showed when he came on at Sheffield Wednesday, so may be the ideal sub if we are defending a lead and need beefing up in midfield. Perhaps for that reason he would suit Stephens' style, which is many things but seldom combative. Anyway, he's still suspended on Saturday (I think).

So my pairing for Saturday would be Stephens and Pritchard.

4. ybabobmij

ybabobmij Active Member

Fascinating question this. Our midfield is not really working and I don't know why. I am clear in my mind that Hollands and Stephens are the two best central players we have. Green is potentially a superb winger/crosser and JJ makes up in guile what he lacks in pace. I can't quite work out why it's not firing on all cylinders. It's pretty good! Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with this team. And we played better in parts last night than for a while. But the balance isn't 100%

5. Leaburns legs

Leaburns legs Member

What about Stephens' guile and Hughes' steel while Hollands has a rest?

6. Addick4Life

Addick4Life Active Member
    Forum Moderator

When I read the post this is what I was going to suggest - Would certainly allow Stephens to get forward more whilst Hughes sits in front of the Defence (almost like a Diamond 4-4-2)

7. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

As you say balance is important, and this is the problem for CP, Stephens and Hollands doesn't have it. I remember when Curbs had the vision to put his faith in Parker and Jensen as a pair even though it meant getting rid of a true club legend, Kinsella. CP needs to have the same vision.

8. killer and flash

Hollands is knackered, Stephens isn't match fit, thus there was no energy in our midfield, no movement to received the ball from defence (hence the hoofing), nobody bombing forward to get on the end of crosses in the box.

Hollands needs a rest, he's not covering the ground he was covering earlier this season, Stephens isn't a runner so needs someone energetic next to him. If Stephens is Michael Carrick, then he needs a Darren Fletcher (get well soon) type alongside him, probably Pritchard on Saturday?

9. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Jackson - Hollands - Stephens - Waggy

10. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Saturday v Rochdale

.................Suli..................

Solly....Taylor....Morrow....Wiggins

....Hughes......Stephens....Jacko

...............Kermit.............
    ....Haynes................BWP

11. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

All Hell That would put an awfull lot of pressure onto Solly. Not certain that Hughes could work outside of central midfield but what about Bradley P on the right instead, very pacy very industrious.

12. deleted.....

I'd be happy with that Scratching <ok>

13. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

Don't know about dropping Hamer. We've only conceded one goal in seven odd hours. Maybe

-----------------Hamer------------------

--Solly----Morrison----Taylor----Wiggins--

----Green------Stevens------Jackson-----

----------------Kermogant---------------

-------Haynes---------------BWP--------

14. deleted.....

<laugh> we all want 'Kevin Keegan' football now <ok>

15. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

Just see that Semedo is making an impression on Wednesday, just seen this on their highlights.
    2012-02-02_1337.jpg

16. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Not enough tackle power in midfield. Might work with Pritchard or Wagstaff in for Green, but only at home.

17. calydon_road

calydon_road Member

stephens can open a can of beanz with either foot. reminds me of jensen in his use of the ball. essential starter if fit.

45 mins each water carrying duties for Pritch and DH?

18. Leaburns legs

Leaburns legs Member

I love the idea of Kermit in the hole behind BWP and Haynes (or Hayes) but what a waste of midfield talent!

19. Hell Ben-t on Bradley Pritchard

no love for Mikel Alonso then?

20. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Waggy like it Green really hasnt done it for me ok on occassions but those occassions few and far between for me and has taken to trying to take the whole opposition on and invaribly gets tackled