1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship Those coming in and going out

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, May 26, 2015.

1. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

And now the speculation starts. It is more like the cattle market of the old days.

2. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Brady 2 year deal

3. themaclad

Calvin Ramsay season long loan from Liverpool

Calvin William Ramsay (born 31 July 2003) is a Scottish professional footballer who currently plays ‍as a right-back for Premier League club Liverpool and the Scotland national team.

Club career[edit]
    Aberdeen[edit]
    After progressing through the youth ranks at Aberdeen, Ramsay made his debut as a late substitute against Dundee United in March 2021, under caretaker manager Paul Sheerin. Ramsay went on to make another five appearances in his first season with the senior team.[5] He made his European debut for the club against Swedish side BK Häcken in July 2021 in a UEFA Conference League qualifier. He started at right back in a 5–1 win and assisting the first goal of the game. Ramsay won the SFWA Young Player of the Year award for 2021–22, his only full season with Aberdeen.[6]

Liverpool[edit]
    Ramsay moved to Premier League club Liverpool in June 2022. He signed a five-year contract for an initial fee of £4.2m,[7][8] a club record sale for Aberdeen.[9]

On 1 November 2022, Ramsey made his debut for Liverpool when he came on as an 87th minute substitute in the 2-0 win against Napoli in the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League.[10] On 9 November 2022, he started his first game for Liverpool in the win against Derby County in the third round of the EFL Cup at Anfield.[11] In February 2023, having made only two appearances for Liverpool's first team, Ramsay was ruled out for the rest of the 2022–23 season following surgery on an unspecified injury.[12][13]

International career[edit]
    Ramsay was called up to the senior Scotland squad in November 2022.[14] He made his international debut on 16 November in a 2-1 friendly defeat to Turkey.[15]

please log in to view this image

4. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to confirm Calvin Ramsay will join the club on a season-long loan from Liverpool.

The right-sided defender came through the ranks at Scottish Premiership side Aberdeen and went on to join the Reds in June 2022.

Ramsay – a Scotland international – becomes North End’s first new arrival of the summer and will officially join the club on 15th July 2023.

Calvin said: “I’m delighted to join Preston North End. The Championship is a top league as everyone knows and the main thing for me is trying to get game time, and I’m going to be able to do that at a good club. I can’t wait to get started.

“I’m happy to be getting the opportunity to get regular game time in a good league, which is important for me. I just need to work hard and try to play as many games as I can.

“There were quite a few clubs interested, but when I spoke to the manager (Ryan Lowe), everything that he said was spot on. The way the team plays, they like to play attacking football, keep the ball and get forward.

"I think that suits my game because I can score and assist goals, and I like getting at people. Ultimately Preston suited me the best."

The 19-year-old made his senior bow for Aberdeen in March 2021 and went on to make 39 appearances for the Dons.

Ramsay was named as the Young Player of the Year by the Scottish Football Writers’ Association for the 2021/22 campaign – his first full season in professional football.

He then signed a long-term deal with Premier League side Liverpool in June 2022 and has since featured twice for the Merseyside club, including an appearance in the Champions League.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “I’m really pleased we’ve managed to get Calvin through the door on a season-long loan.

“He fills a position we’ve been looking to fill for a while as it gives us good competition down that right-hand side where Brad Potts has obviously been fantastic.

“It gives us options now, too. We’ve got a right back in the building as well as someone who can play right wing back.

“He’s energetic, he’s dynamic, and he can get himself up and down the pitch.

“Liverpool obviously invested a lot of money in him after he came through at Aberdeen so we know the quality he’s got.”

5. themaclad

Cunningham new deal

6. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to confirm Greg Cunningham has signed a new contract with the club.

The left-sided defender, who is continuing his rehabilitation from the hamstring injury he suffered in March, has signed a short-term deal to keep him at Deepdale until 31st December 2023.

Within Greg’s contract are clauses which will trigger an ex

Extension to the deal until 30th June 2024, depending on his fitness and availability.

After signing, Greg said: “I’m delighted. I’ve said it time and time again, I feel at home here.

“It’s where I’ve enjoyed my football the most and I’m happy that the journey continues with this club.

“I’d been enjoying my football and everything before the injury, so I’m very happy to be here and extend my stay.

I feel strong. I’m getting fitter now, I’ve been in the last few days and I’ve been in a couple of weeks before everyone else just to finalise the latter stages and be ready to go for pre-season day one.

I feel like I’ll be ready to go. Everything’s gone very well over the summer rehab wise.”

The 32-year-old has featured 172 times in a North End shirt since his arrival in Lancashire in 2015 from Bristol City.

He spent three years with the club in that first stint before earning a permanent move to the Premier League with Cardiff City.

Greg then rejoined PNE in January 2021, initially on loan, before the Irishman’s deal was made permanent, and he went on to make 24 appearances for the club during the 2022/23 season.

Manager Ryan Lowe added: “Greg’s obviously been brilliant for the club during two spells.

“He was unfortunate to get injured because he was playing good football, but he’s got himself a short-term deal now and a chance to earn a longer deal, so we’re really pleased he’s signed the contract.

“He had a good run of games in the team last season and did fantastically well. The injury was really disappointing because he was in good form and we want to get him back into that form.

“We want to get him back into the squad and performing the way we know he can.”

7. themaclad

Preston North End can confirm Daniel Johnson will leave the club at the end of his contract.

The two parties have been in discussion since the conclusion of the 2022/23 campaign regarding the renewal of his deal, however DJ has informed the club he will be moving on.

Famously arriving for a fee of just £50,000 in 2015, the Jamaica international has since gone on to write his name in the North End history books.

The club’s 2020 Player of the Year became the 28th man to make 300 appearances for PNE back in August 2022, following in the footsteps of skipper Alan Browne.

Contributing 57 goals throughout his time at Deepdale, DJ has been an important figure for the club and has, on many occasions, worn the captain’s armband.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “We’re disappointed but DJ wants a new challenge.

“I had a fantastic relationship with DJ and all the players did and I’m sure all the fans did too, but sometimes people want fresh challenges and that’s what DJ’s told us he wants to do, and we have to respect that decision.

“He’ll go down as a legend at the football club and rightly so because he’s a very talented footballer.

“It’s disappointing because of what he’s done here over the years and we’d have liked to have had a better send off for him, if this was going to be the case.

“We’ve been in dialogue with him for a long time regarding him staying. We’ve done everything we possibly can to keep him, but we wish DJ all the best as he moves on to a new venture.”

Everyone at PNE would like to thank DJ for his fantastic service to the football club and wish him the very best for the future.

Preston North End can confirm Josh Onomah will leave the club at the end of his contract.

The 26-year-old, who joined North End in January 2023 on a deal until the end of the season, was offered and agreed a new contract with the club.

However, complications have seen negotiations extend into pre-season, and the club have now taken the decision to move on.

During his time at Deepdale, Josh made 13 appearances, with nine of those coming off the bench.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “We offered Josh a contract about a week before the season finished and we were in negotiations with Josh and his representatives.

“Josh’s contract terms were agreed, but there’s been a lot of complications with the deal regarding if and when he could sign, which was out of our control.

“Unfortunately we’ve had to move on to other targets because we just couldn’t wait any longer.

“We wish Josh all the best and hopefully he gets back playing somewhere because he’s a talented boy, but we just couldn’t wait any longer in what was a difficult situation.”

Everyone at the club would like to thank Josh for his efforts and wish him the best for the future.

8. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to welcome Peter Murphy to the club as part of Ryan Lowe’s coaching staff.

Peter, 33, recently spent five and a half years as a coach at Wigan Athletic, covering a number of roles during that time.

Working as chief scout firstly before then becoming U18 and subsequently lead U23 coach, Peter ended his time with the Latics in May as first team development coach.

With PNE, his main focus will be on set plays and on the development of the club’s younger players within the first team environment.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “Peter arrives with experience of coaching ever since having to retire early as a player and he’s very well thought of in the game.

“We’ve been looking at bringing somebody in who can bring something new to the party and Peter’s skillset is what we’ve been looking for.

“Having worked with different age groups at Wigan Athletic, he’s helped produce some top young talents and that’s what we want to do here at Preston North End.

“We’ve got a lot of good youngsters in and around the first team who will need some time to develop, and that’s what Peter can offer.

“He will also help with first team sessions of course, with a particular focus on helping us with our set plays.”

The club can also confirm Paul Gallagher has left his role as first team coach. Everyone at Preston North End would like to thank Gally for his tremendous service both as a player and a coach during his long stint with the club.

As confirmed on Wednesday evening, Paul Gallagher has left his role as first team coach at Preston North End following a long-term association with the football club, to pursue an opportunity elsewhere.

There probably wasn’t anybody who expected that a young 22-year-old arriving on loan from Blackburn Rovers back in 2007 would go on to become such a modern-day hero at PNE.

Gally made 19 appearances during his first stint at the club before going on to prove his talents elsewhere, prior to his return to Deepdale on another loan deal in 2013.

Under Simon Grayson, Gally became a key cog in the side who achieved a place in the end of season Play-Offs, and when he scored in the semi-final second leg it looked as though he was going to help North End reach Wembley, but unfortunately Rotherham United came back and won on the night.

Determined to go a step further, Gally returned to PNE the following season and upped his game even further, going on to score seven and assist 17 to not only help PNE reach the Play-Offs but ultimately the Championship.

Despite the joys of Wembley, where he assisted two goals, the midfielder was forced off through injury and it was feared that might be the end of his time with the club – but the story wasn’t going to end there.

A permanent move followed and, despite the step up in divisions, Gally’s performances remained top drawer, going on to be named Supporters’ Player of the Year, while also winning the Goal of the Season award for an outrageous volley against Charlton Athletic.

He may have been getting older but his performances were certainly not deteriorating. Moving more into a central midfield role – as opposed to his forward or wide positions of years gone by – Gally was still putting in top performances week in, week out.

Funnily enough, one position he will never be forgotten for playing in was between the sticks when he stepped up to take the gloves in an away game against Ipswich Town in 2018, and he even pulled off an incredible save to earn his side a point.

You’ll also never watch a highlight reel without seeing his unique penalty-taking technique of: back to goal, run to the edge of the box, turn, smash it. And the majority of the time, it worked.

There was to be an end to his playing days, though, as in May 2021 Gally made the difficult decision to retire, but he stayed on as a first team coach, firstly under Frankie McAvoy and then under Ryan Lowe.

Gally went on to spend two seasons on the coaching staff at PNE, working closely with the manager, Mike Marsh, Mike Pollitt and of course the playing staff at Euxton.

His departure from the club was confirmed on 5th July and he leaves with the best wishes of Ryan Lowe, the coaching staff and everyone at PNE.

9. themaclad

Mads Frøkjær-Jensen Signs For Preston North End
    7 Hours ago

@pnefc

FacebookTwitterShare
    Preston North End are delighted to confirm Mads Frøkjær-Jensen is set to join the club on a four-year deal, subject to international clearance and a work permit.

The attacking midfielder arrives from Danish club Odense Boldklub for a significant undisclosed fee and is set to take the No.10 shirt at Deepdale.

Mads said: “I had a big dream of coming to a new club this summer and England has always been a big dream of mine since I was a small kid, so I’m excited and right now it’s pretty surreal it’s actually happened.

“I always said to my family and agent that when I leave it had to be for a club outside of Denmark so it’s just a dream come true.

“I’m very happy, it’s much bigger than where I come from so everything’s good. I’m a happy kid.”

Mads, 23, made over 100 appearances during his time as an OB player after joining them as a teenager.

He made his first appearance in the Danish Superliga in April 2019 and soon became a regular for his first professional club.

The capped Denmark U21 international scored eight times during the 2022/23 campaign and he will now join up with PNE ahead of the new Championship season, once international clearance and a work permit have been granted.

Manager Ryan Lowe added: “We’ve been monitoring Mads for a while since the scouting department found him, so when we knew we had a chance of signing him we did everything we could to try and get him.

“Peter [Ridsdale] flew over to meet him on Friday and struck the deal while we were in Spain, so it’s good to have Mads in the building today and signed up.

“He’s an attacking midfielder with a good size and stature whose numbers tally up to what we want.

“He’s a ball carrying number eight and that’s where he’ll play for us, or anywhere in those midfield areas.

“Ultimately he’s a young lad coming from Europe who’s very willing to keep learning and improving, and I’m delighted we could get the deal sorted.”

10. themaclad

barnetpne likes this.

11. barnetpne

And now Duane Holmes.

12. themaclad

Preston North End Recruit Duane Holmes

Preston North End are delighted to confirm the signing of Duane Holmes on a two-year deal.

The 28-year-old midfielder, who has spent the previous two and a half years with Huddersfield Town, has completed the move to Deepdale, with the terms of the deal undisclosed.

Duane – a capped United States international – has featured almost 200 times in the Championship and has also been involved in two second tier Play-Off campaigns.

Speaking after joining the club, Duane said: “I’m very happy. I spoke to the manager last week and thankfully it’s all gone through pretty quickly.

“I played with him at Bury for a short time and obviously since taking on the role of a manager he’s done really well wherever he’s gone and I’m looking forward to working with him.

“I played against Preston a lot last year and the way we want to play is good.

“I’ve just been watching training out there and it was looking very good. The lads look really fit, really sharp and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

Born in Georgia, United States, the midfielder moved to Yorkshire at a young age and came through the ranks with the Terriers.

Permanent moves to Scunthorpe United and Derby County followed, before he returned to the John Smith’s Stadium in 2021.

He will now join up with North End ahead of the start of the 2023/24 Sky Bet Championship campaign.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “Duane’s going to be a good addition for us and he’s one I’m excited about because he’s a creator and he can score goals.

“He’s been a solid Championship player for many years. He’s a good footballer who can carry the ball, and he knows his roles and responsibilities.

“I’ve known Duane for many years since playing with him when he was just starting out and I’ve kept following his career.

“We’ve added two players with a lot of quality in the past couple of days so I’m really pleased, and we’re in negotiations with a few other players so we’re looking to keep adding over the next few weeks.”

13. themaclad

14. themaclad

Will Keane in

15. themaclad

Preston North End are delighted to confirm Rob Kelly has joined the club as first team coach.

Rob is returning to familiar surroundings at Deepdale having been part of the North End backroom staff between 2007 and 2010.

Working under Paul Simpson and Alan Irvine during that spell, the former Leicester City manager also had stints as the Lilywhites’ caretaker boss.

Since his departure from the club, Rob has gained plenty of experience elsewhere, including at Bury where he was assistant manager to Ryan Lowe.

Most recently working at Wigan Athletic, Rob now joins the coaching staff at PNE ahead of the 2023/24 Sky Bet Championship season.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “I’m really pleased Rob’s joining us as a first team coach. He’s got a wealth of experience and that’s going to be vitally important to both the staff and the players.

“I worked with Rob for a short period in my early managerial career and I’ve kept in contact with him ever since.

“He’s somebody who’s helped me get to where I am today, so to have the opportunity to work with him again is fantastic.

“I think it’s a big coup to be able to bring someone like Rob to Preston North End, where he’s worked before, and I’m looking forward to having him as part of the coaching staff.”

16. themaclad

Layton Stewart Joins PNE From Liverpool In Permanent Deal

Preston North End are delighted to confirm the signing of striker Layton Stewart from Liverpool for an undisclosed fee.

The 20-year-old has signed a three-year deal at Deepdale and could make his debut for the club in Saturday’s pre-season friendly against Aberdeen.

Layton had been with Liverpool since the age of seven, progressing through the ranks at Anfield and scoring consistently at each level of youth football.

Layton said: “I’m delighted to be here. It’s another step in my career, on my journey, so I think it’s the right move for my development to try and get some first team football.

“I’m delighted it’s a permanent because I can get settled in, start to find my feet and I can’t wait to meet the lads and play.
    “I’ve scored at youth level but I’ve got to take it into a first team environment now and try and do it for Preston in the games that I play in.

“I need to be with the lads and try and find my feet fast. It’s a big opportunity but it’s a good one for me to develop and obviously I need time, but hopefully I can do what I’ve done over the past few years.”

Layton penned his first professional deal with Liverpool in February 2020 and made his senior bow for the Reds in a Carabao Cup tie against Derby County in front of over 52,000 fans at Anfield.

The forward – who often played alongside PNE midfielder Ben Woodburn with Liverpool – had a fantastic season in Premier League 2 in the 2022/23 campaign, scoring 11 goals in 17 matches.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “Layton’s a player I’ve monitored and known for many years at Liverpool and I’m really glad we’ve got him in on a permanent deal.

“It’s important to have one of our own and tied down to a long-term contract so we can really develop him and hopefully turn him into a top player.

“What I will say is we’ll take our time with him and build him up. He’ll need to get used to Championship football so I don’t want to put too much pressure on him from the outset, but we’re really excited to have him here.

“He’s a fox in the box and more importantly he’s a real goalscorer. He’ll learn loads here and we feel we can get him in the right areas to give him the chances we know he can put away.”

Layton Rhys Stewart (born 3 September 2002) is an English professional footballer who plays for Preston North End as a striker.[2]

Career[edit]
    Stewart was named in the Liverpool first team squad for the first time in December 2019, for an Carabao Cup tie with Aston Villa. Liverpool had named a squad of Academy players due to the first team competing in the 2019 FIFA Club World Cup in Qatar in the same week.[3][4]

From Huyton, Stewart signed his first professional contract with Liverpool in February 2020. Despite suffering an anterior cruciate injury to his knee the club gave him a new contract in May 2021 as he was undergoing rehabilitation.[5]

On 9 November 2022, Stewart made his senior debut when he started for Liverpool in a win against Derby County in the third round of the 2022–23 EFL Cup at Anfield.[6]

On 22 July 2023, Stewart joined Preston North End on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee.[7]

17. barnetpne

That was out of the blue. And on a permanent too. If Cannon comes too, NE will have a strike force to reckon with backed by a striking midfielder Mads. Just hope NE can keep hold of the goalie.

18. themaclad

Preston North End can confirm Jacob Slater has joined Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion for an undisclosed fee.

The left-sided defender joined the North End Academy at U12 level and progressed through the ranks before going on to make his senior debut in the Carabao Cup in August 2022.

Another substitute appearance followed at Molineux against Wolverhampton Wanderers, and he then signed his first professional contract in September.

Since then, Jacob has been training exclusively with the first team at Euxton and has featured regularly during pre-season.

Jacob now joins the Seagulls, who will play in the Europa League during the 2023/24 campaign, and everyone at Preston North End would like to wish him all the very best for the future.

Goalkeeper James Pradic has returned to Bamber Bridge on a youth loan until 1st January 2024.

The 18-year-old spent the final weeks of the 2022/23 season with Brig, helping them to reach the Play-Off final by saving a penalty in a shootout against Gainsborough Trinity.

He now returns to the NPL Premier Division side ahead of the new campaign which will get underway with a trip to face Matlock Town on Saturday 12th August.

James – a Wales youth international – is a professional at Deepdale, having signed his first deal back in July 2022, but he’s yet to make his first team bow.

Everyone at PNE wishes James all the best during his loan spell!

19. themaclad

PNE Land Jack Whatmough On Three-Year Deal

Preston North End are delighted to confirm Jack Whatmough has joined the club on a three-year deal.

The central defender, who left Wigan Athletic last week, will go straight into contention to feature in the opening match of the Sky Bet Championship season against Bristol City.

Jack will take the No.26 shirt and becomes the club’s sixth new addition of the window.

Speaking after signing, Jack said: “I’m over the moon. From the first moment I knew there was interest it was something that I wanted to get done as soon as possible. I’m really happy that it’s done.

“I just had a conversation with the gaffer there and I’m just looking forward to training now with the lads and starting the season and seeing where it can take us.

“No matter what level you’re at you want to test yourself and prove to people that you’re worthy of being at that level, and that’s what I want to do.

“I want to prove that I’m worthy to play Championship football. I think this club’s the perfect fit for me and one that I’m really excited for.”

Jack came through the Academy with Portsmouth and went on to feature 136 times for Pompey during a 13-year stint with the club.

The defender then moved on to join Wigan Athletic, where he won the club’s Player of the Season award in the 2021/22 campaign as the Latics earned promotion to the Championship.

Manager Ryan Lowe said: “I’m really pleased Jack’s committed to us because there were several clubs interested in him as everyone probably knows.

“Once we knew Jack was available and we’d spoken to him, we were really keen to get it done and I’m happy we’ve got him on board.

“He’s a footballing centre half who can play out from the back with a good range of passing and most importantly he’s a solid defender.

“He’s got plenty of experience and he adds to our competition in the backline which is what we want ultimately.”

20. themaclad

Bambo Diaby to Sheffield Wednesday