1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Charlton Athletic vs. Huddersfield Town

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Holden Chinaski, Sep 14, 2015.

?

What do you think the outcome of the game will be?

Poll closed Sep 16, 2015.
  1. Charlton Athletic Win

72.7%
  2. Draw

18.2%
  3. Huddersfield Town Win

9.1%
  1. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

badge.PNG
    badge1.PNG
    Date: Tuesday, 15th September 2015
    Kick-Off: 7:45pm
    We head into our game against Huddersfield Town, feeling a little bit down from the weekend game against Rotherham United, which ended in a 1 - 1 draw. Judging on our performance, Luzon and his band of merry men have plenty of positives to take away from it. Let us just hope that god awful refereeing decisions and poor defending from set pieces do not haunt us on Tuesday night. Since our heights of 3rd Place in the SkyBet Championship, we have seen ourselves gradually fall to 10th Place. Jonnie Jackson speaking on Channel 5's Football League Show, spoke that there would be no reason that our club (on a shoestring budget) could compete for a playoff space. Providing we address our slip ups over the last two games, I would agree with, as we have been playing some amazing football this season. One thing that has come apparent is how important Simon Makienok is to the way Luzon plays, that without him on the pitch, we seem to struggle. Luzon will no doubt have a tough decision who to play alongside him come Tuesday night.

The Opposition
    With a manager at the helm, a man that needs no introduction to the fans, Chris Powell's men come to The Valley, hoping to secure themselves a much needed victory. Looking back over time, The Valley is not a happy hunting ground for them, the last time they've been us in the league on our soil coming back in December 1983. Huddersfield find themselves second from bottom of the SkyBet Championship, having failed to win any of their opening games. The next few games for Chris Powell could determine his future at the club.

Current Form
    current form.PNG

We still have an undefeated record at home this season. Despite the draw against Rotherham United, we still have only conceded two league goals out of three games, which in stark contrast to Huddersfield Town, who seem to concede two goals per away game. With goalscorers such as Nahki Wells in their team, you'd think that they would have scored more goals on their travels.

Head-To-Head
    headtohead.PNG

The wins seem to be in our favour. During the last season we achieved we achieved four points off of Chris Powell's men, the match at The Valley being a superb performance, with goals coming from Guðmundsson and two from Tony Watt.

Club Updates: Player Thoughts on Previous Game

Line Up
    With players such as Vetokele and Tony Watt having a bit of a nightmarish game, against Rotherham, I'll be shocked if we do not start with Makienok. The question would be, who would partner with him. Pope pulled off some stunning saves, and with no news on Henderson or others, I would expect a line up such as:
    please log in to view this image

As for the bench, this is anyone's guess, as we seem to have a few youth players who make the bench. I would like to see our Club Captain Jonnie Jackson start to make more performances.

Odds
    Capture.PNG
    Given league positions and form, it's unsurprising that we are the bookies favourites to win this game. A £10 bet on a Charlton win, will return you £33.50. I will be backing the 2 - 0 will, looking at the statistics (standing at a tantalising 11/1).

League Tables & Fixtures
    fuxyres.PNG

Outcome

Providing we don’t repeat mistakes defensive mistakes of the Rotherham game, or limit Wells to minimal chances, this is a game that we will win. They have not proved worth opponents to many teams this season, and considering their leaky defence, I'm predicting a 2 - 0 win.

#COYR #COYA

2. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

I was expecting to beat Rotherham but maybe draw this one. Now we have to win this one or morale of players and fans will slump. They are perhaps our two easiest games of the season.

I expect to see our new man McAleny on the bench but, if any two of Vetokele, Watt or Makienok are less than 90% fit, he could even start.

As ever, Cousins would play to the left of Ba (unless he deputises for Solly, in which case Bergdich would play on the left).

Nothing personal, Sir Chris, you know I love you, but I hope we push you another three points nearer the trap-door.

3. Holden Chinaski

Likewise; nothing personal against Chris Powell, but I'd like to have the 3 points. Rotherham will be a blip. They've had a lucky game, and brought quite a few new players in, which majority of them featured. Lee Camp, even made team of the week (again another excellent keeper who knows this league).

Huddersfield, have not brought anything, and will struggle as a consequence! They're finances just are not Championship standard, compared to many other teams.

4. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I ask myself "how will CP react if 'udders win?". The answer, he'll love it. No room for sentiment. We have to win.

And I think we will.

3-1 (big mak, JBG, watt)

The Kish likes this.
  5. Holden Chinaski

So he'll pay Big Mac and Watt together?

6. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

He has done on several occasions already - and think right now that's our best partnership. Linked well against QPR especially.

7. Holden Chinaski

I thought that with Vetokele back, that we might see more of him.

Watt was too greedy on the ball on Saturday. Had the opportunity to pass several times, but ended up losing the ball.

8. Bitter & Malicious

Vetokele is not fit. Needs a few games in the u21s. Maybe with the new guy he will get the chance,

9. Holden Chinaski

Don't know much about the new guy. We got another striker, when we do need cover for players like Solly or Fox, in case they get injured.

10. Bitter & Malicious

Cover for Solly certainly is a priority.

We have cover for Fox in Bergdich (bought as a left-back to replace Fox) and Holmes-Dennis (has already played a lot of League football). Lennon has also played there for the first team and done OK.

But our strikers already are injured, or at least, not match fit. And Vetokele will never become 100% if we keep playing him when unfit. Not sure if Watt will ever be a 90 mins player. Like Adjarevic in that respect, and maybe for the same reason.

11. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Not a fan of mid week games as it is a huge ball ache getting 'dahn ah grand' straight from work ( a problem that Reams is unfamiliar with).

I won't be happy to see Igor starting tonight. We might as well give KAG a run out.

DonCorleone likes this.
  12. Holden Chinaski

Plus they only have two train out of Charing Cross at the moment. Bloody works at London Bridge

13. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to doubt if we'll ever see a fully fit Igor again. He doesn't even look a decent player. I don't know why he's playing if he's carrying an injury, so I'm looking forward to seeing McAleny at some point.
    I expect a win tonight, to put a bit of pressure on SCP, and start speculation about his future. And if Udders do win the least I expect is a tunnel jump.

14. Holden Chinaski

You know what; considering we beat QPR and Hull, drawed against Derby and Nottingham Forest, inc. a narrow defeat to Wolves, all expecting promotion, I can see us completely ballsing up, getting 3 or 4 points maximum out of what should have been 9.

15. Holden Chinaski

A nice little statistic from the club here today. And a link to their match preview.

16. User deleted as requested

It would provide a great big belly laugh if we win tonight and Saint Canon His Holiness Powell is fired <laugh> oh the irony....I see a few of the domesticated wallies over on CL are getting their Spandex knickers in a twist over the apparent moral dilemma. Proof if proof were needed that they supported a flawed manager and his PR machine, and not a football club.

17. Holden Chinaski

The club, I admit, has become too Americanised. The whole playing the game on the TV screen, the whole lets all go in a box, half-time entertainment.

18. Bitter & Malicious

While I do not agree, thanks for raising the Powell issue again. We have not given it a good airing on here lately. And how about a good discussion about Kermorgant, too?

19. User deleted as requested

You ain't seen nothing yet <cheers>

tomorrow we can have a post mortem about the quality of his tunnel jump tonight.

20. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Looking forward to another classy display by Diarra.

: COYR, COYA