1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham ’21 – 6 months to go…

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Sir Barney Chuckles, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Pandemic permitting the 2021 Cheltenham Festival is due to start 6 months today. Given this momentous milestone now seems like the ideal, and I do mean ideal, time to ask the membership who do we think, right here, right now, will win the ‘big 4’ heats??? Plus, who is our top recommendation in one of the meetings other contests – you could choose ‘The Meghan Markle’, ‘The Sir Tony Blair’s’, the ‘Oliver Twist race’ (please, sir, I want some Bally More’), the Ryanair, the Pertemps (‘more plots than an Agatha Christie novel’ and all that. By the way, today is 130 years since the great Dame’s birth), as I’ve done the ‘card commencer’ or, in fact, any race you jolly well like.

Anyway, I’ll stop rambling and say these are my picks –

Champion Hurdle – Maries Rock

Champion Chase – Chacun Pour Soi

Stayers Hurdle – Champ

CGC – Santini

Other selection. Supreme Novices – Flinteur Sacre

In short I think Maries Rock will prove to be this terms Epatante. My regular readers know how much I adore Chacun Pour Soi and I believe he will make up for missing this year’s event with victory in the ’21 Champion Chase. I do doubt if Champ’s jumping will hold up, over the big ‘uns, at open championship level so can see him being redirected over hurdles at some point this season (incidentally had he run in last terms Stayers Hurdle I think he would have won, the event, by half the track). And I think Santini has the ability to go one better in the CGC this time around. There is though an asterisk added to Santini as there is a real ‘elephant in the room’ re him and Cheltenham and that is the Grand National (currently 25/1 joint 2nd fave). His owner loves a pound note (nothing wrong with that, just saying) and if there is a really big prizemoney differential (inflated because of the effects of the pandemic) between the 2 races I wouldn’t be totally amazed to see Santini target Aintree rather than Cheltenham. My ‘bonus’ addition is Flinteur Sacre in the meetings 1st contest. I’ve already detailed why in the excellent main Cheltenham thread but in brief I loved his bumper success, in February at Kempton Park, and can’t wait to see this one over hurdles.

Well, team, that is my picks. Care to add your own???

Ste D likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Arkle - Shishkin
    Gold Cup - Santini
    Mares - Honeysuckle

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Here my darts:

Champion Hurdle: Abacadabras - a fine 2nd in the Supreme and likely to stick to the smaller obstacles
    Champion Chase: Fakir D'Oudairies - I think he could come into his own with another summer on his back
    Stayers Hurdle: City Island - a horror season last time but hopefully they will realise he is not a chaser and aim at the Stayers
    Cheltenham Gold Cup: Al Boum Photo - I see no reason to look beyond the obvious here

Other - Triumph Hurdle: Duffle Coat - very early days in terms of this race but I was impressed with him at Punchestown and he has any amount of potential

All trained in Ireland I just noticed.

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  4. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

At the moment just Flinteur Sacre in the Supreme for me, already backed, just awaiting collection :)

5. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

Only 6 months best I start saving, going next year for three of the day's.. hoping for four
    then it's a trip to Malta with the wife on the Saturday for a week.
    Day One
    Mares - Honeysuckle
    Arkle - Shiskin
    Champion Hurdle- Goshan
    National - Fury Road

6. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Id rather back Shiskin than I would of fans being able to attend!

7. Sir Barney Chuckles

Yes, Duffle Coat looked potentially decent. 50/1 looks very big to me. May run again at the weekend by the way.

OddDog likes this.
  8. Sir Barney Chuckles

Prizemoney and crowds the 2 great unknowns at the min. Although I fear both could be hit big time.

9. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Arkle - Shiskin
    Champion Hurdle - Abracadabras

then you can spend the final three days with feet up and cigar lit.

Easysland for the XCountry and jobs a good un

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  10. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

If it dont happen Nass then so be it, I'll stay indoors and watch it, that is not a big problem and to be honest, I'm not getting into a debate about covid racing and what others thoughts are

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I expect the festival to go ahead, facilitated by untrained and poorly equipped Covid Wardens, who will be charged with herding punters about in groups of six.

8.00pm curfew throughout the Cotswolds.