1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Clyne "I want to play in the Champions League"

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Apr 13, 2015.

1. nice teeth

nice teeth Well-Known Member

I thought that might be the case, and if they can double their money, then it is hard to begrudge them that, but you do wish that players would just be honest and say that is the reason.
    Although that didn't do Ashley Cole any favours in the popularity stakes when he left Arsenal for Chelsea...

2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'm totally fine with Clyne coming out and saying that he wants to play CL and win trophies.

We all know it's true - as it is with almost every footballer - so by all means say it openly.

I'll just move onto our next RB, totally fine with that.

3. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

As in, they would no longer be good enough, we would have to get better quality in?

4. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Oh bore off then Clyne.

He was amazing first half of the season, but the constant speculation has affected his performances to be honest. The last few weeks especially (and for England) has seen a big drop.

5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Clyne wants to play in the CL?

I want to cover Gwyneth Paltrow in chocolate sauce. We can't all get what we want.

Clem Fandango and Dark Lord SFC like this.
  6. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Plus he's played pretty much all game every game, in a position where you probably run the most in the team. Looked tired, the game off might help him.

7. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Clyne will be off to Manchester United for about £15m-£18m.

I'm not too concerned, I just hope we recruit well - which we tend to.

8. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Come on City get in there and push it up a bit.

Clem Fandango likes this.
  9. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Works for me. And Vilhena is already done before we even get on to the real transfer window business. I'll probably take a day off from not606 when we do sell them.

10. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Seems like they should be interested in him. Unless they are sticking with the signing old expensive foreigners strategy.

11. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Different this time though we all expect them to leave think most of us will be ok with it and trust Ron to bring in top replacements

12. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Yes, on second thoughts this is by far the most sensible batch of Saints fans. Maybe I'll just stay off Twitter.

13. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

Beefy.....here goes,who cares?! I'm getting pretty pissed off with these players "wanting" something, I bet he won't accept a pay rise when he achieves his wish,he'll turn that down because he only wants to move for CL football......yeah right..come on Clyne you think your too big for Saints now you've got your England caps,come on Saints hold out for the best price again. There will be "another" Clyne just around the corner.
    And no I don't give a hoot just pissed off with "billy big heads" who treat clubs/fans with little respect when they've made their name.Phew rant over.

Clem Fandango and Archers Road like this.
  14. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Hopefully the management will put a cap on how many can leave this summer (those we would like to keep anyway) so if someone wants to jump ship after that level has been reached, the management do a Snidders and say very sorry but you are staying for another season....tough!
    I think we could loose up to three...Clyne, Snidders and ......another. As long as they pay through the nose for them they can go to help fund the squad enlargement/quality boost.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  15. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

[QUOTE="Qwerty, post: 7816128, member: 1006324"I'll probably take a day off from not606 when we do sell them.[/QUOTE]

An ex -mod speaks!

I will defo have my tin hat on!:)

16. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

No concern at all with clyne leaving he is decent enough but easy to replace and frankly been average at best 2nd half of this season

I am used to this now; if we are tapping on the champions league door a % of our squad will be champion league calibre either in reality or in their own heads. Our challenge is to keep this churn to a minimum and keep on improving despite it. I reckon we are well positioned to do so

17. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

We are victims of a very successful policy of uncovering players on their way up rather than grabbing the ones who don't quite make it on their way back down. There will always be a wealth of talent around Europe if you have a good scouting network - and we do - so we should be okay. :)

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  18. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Indeed. We might get our players poached, but I'd suggest we're the envy of many fans.

Just look at some of tosh that some clubs buy. If I'm a fan of, say, Sunderland, I look over at Southampton with jealous - and at the same time anger and depression towards my own club. No doubt Sunderland fans think their club should at least be our equal (given their stadium size and current length of time in the PL), and I think that would be entirely fair. But the running of the two clubs just cannot be compared.

19. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I wonder if todays "revelation" will see Clyne consigned to the bench again on Saturday?

20. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

He probably will be but not because of this, it's been known for a while that he's fully intending on leaving this summer (I was first told just before xmas). I think he was dropped more due to poor form/needing a rest, but the back 4 played well on Saturday so I can't see Koeman changing it this week.