1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Comings and Goings Summer 2016

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, May 20, 2016.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Don't panic yet Sensible. No idea what the budget is so I wouldn't say the DA has 'nothing to spend'. The vast majority of Argyle officials are on their hols (when else are they supposed to go?) but am sure DA has already made offers and /or has plans. Unfortunately we are in that irritating limbo period where we wait for existing and targeted Players/agents to make their mind up what they want to do. As always DA won't comment on any speculation until there is a done deal.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I must admit that I was disappointed when I saw that Matt had gone to Blackpool....I felt that he was going to be one of Derek Adams targets.

Although I wouldn't have wanted to have missed the play-offs (accept for automatic promotion of course) it has caused a three week prolonging of the season....meaning players went on holiday later than most other clubs and with only three players at present on the books officially.....it does make you concerned and anxious.

But as you say Lindy although the PAFC office and management staff are still on holiday and Adams being a meticulous planner he would surely have had targets that he had inked in for July 1st.....and it would of surprised me if proven Jamille Matt would not of been one of them.

If you look at it from the players point of view he doesn't have to re-locate to the west country....Fleetwood and Blackpool are not that far apart and he would not have to move at all.....plus the offer of a two year contract gives him more security than I expect Argyle would be offering.....I assume that we will only be offering one year deals again.....Carey, Jervis & Sawyer have extended their contract for a second year.....so I wouldn't expect any new players to be offered anything longer.....which means we will be going through this again next year....unless Adams offer his best players an extension before the end of the season.

The play-offs do bring problems that can put you at a disadvantage, even if you do win through for promotion......a holiday break is important for all players, staff and their families, starting it three weeks late can cause problems.

Lindy you do seem to have your finger on the pulse so to speak......are you saying that Adams and his senior staff will be away until the weekend and Argyle aren't open officially for business until next Monday (20th).....if so lets hope we get some major results on targets coming in by the 24th and players accepting their new contracts that have been offered so that Adams knows what areas of his team he has to major on.....it looks at the moment that he might not have any recognized strikers at all at the club by July accept Brunt (if Reid goes) who will be lucky if he is match fit before Christmas.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I wouldn't say I have my finger on the pulse particularly but just trying to think logically. The club works on a very small non football backroom staff- CEO,Secretary, stadium manager, Communications, Hospitality/commercial manager make up the main players and some of those were working for the Rod Stewart gig last week so this week is the obvious week that most would be away. Add in that DA is also probably away then it is bound to be very quiet. I was trying to get hold of one of the above earlier in the week and was advised to try again next week when more staff will be around. Whatever agreements with players DA has in place I doubt anything would be announced until the deal is signed and that would require CEO and/or football secretary input. From memory I think the CEO does the negotiating and the secretary organizes the actual contract - as I said , I would be amazed if DA didn't have advanced plans and have no doubt he has several agreements in place. Whether anything will happen next week or whether it will be the week after I have no absolute knowledge, but it will be fairly soon!

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the "Reasons to be Cheerful" article on this subject in the Herald? Basically, we needn't worry as it was alright last year (given the outcome, your opinion may differ) and Derek Adams has had 2 more weeks than last summer.

Maybe it will be alright but those particular journalistic arguments were paper thin!

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I for one don't think it was alright last year. We were cruising on top at one stage and the paper thin squad came a cropper because it was paper thin. The play off place was not success given what it should have been which was automatic. The performance in that play off game was pitiful so I think there is every reason to worry as the whole thing seems to be going the same way once more. We will never be given privvy to what the budget actually is but logic says it must be a whole lot better than last season. We have windfall money from Mason sell on and two play off games in front of big crowds and a Wembley appearance. I believe the debt repayment should be gone as well. That and the fact we outdid the previous gate sizes by a pretty long way which could not have been budgeted for then we have to have one of the best budgets going this season.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems from reading pasoti (I shall wash my mouth out with carbolic soap, sorry) Derek Adams has been back at work for awhile, hope to hear some good news soon.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems to be happening.

Reports that.....Reuben Reid is close to completing a two year deal to move to Portsmouth is being talked about in Portsmouth....If it's true than we are becoming a club without any recognized strikers.....and as far as we know a team with only three players at present.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

James Bittner has left Argyle to take up a player/coach role at Newport.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Portsmouth playing down any links to Reid.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ryan Donaldson winger released by Cambridge becomes our first signing ?

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Peter Hartley signs for Bristol Rovers.

But talk of Curtis Nelson seen back at Home Park training ?....that might be more encouraging.....hopefully.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I thought that Peter Hartley was keen to get back to the North East...........so would he of stayed if we had been promoted to Div 1 ? like Bristol R.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Martyn Starnes has said that he and Derek are pleased with the progress that they have made.

Offers have gone out to a significant number of players and progress has been made with agreements on a lot of them....it just needs to get them down here for medicals,paperwork etc.

With Ryan Donaldson now on board we have four players officially signed up now.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm going to give it until mid next week and then see where we are with all these irons in fires. Never heard of Ryan Donaldson but the fact he was released by Cambridge doesn't fill me with delight particularly. So much for Hartley having a young family and wanting to get back to them on his home turf. I don't expect any loyalty from them but a bit of honesty might not go amiss. I supose he is 120 miles closer.....only another 250 to go then.

15. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Donaldson is an ex Newcastle trainee so maybe that's a bit more hopeful. Adams' judgement has been pretty reasonable so far.

Hartley is a decent player at this level but his best features are size and strength. They are freely available so his loss doesn't worry me as much as Nelson leaving would for example. Bristol is 120 miles nearer the north, 240 miles less per round trip, and they're hard miles too with the last 40 being A road not motorway. Having gone up a league too I wish him every success, he did OK for us.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Glasgow Rangers have signed Clint Hill central defender ex-QPR player.....this could mean that their interest in Curtis Nelson might be over.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I still think he will go. Maybe not to Rangers but go somewhere.

18. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

We don't want Reuben Reid, sensiblegreeny, but we do need to replace Adam Webster. Wouldn't mind Curtis Nelson to play alongside Christian Burgess though <ok>

Seriously though, as he has been with you for 7 years, and is team captain, he must surely want to carry on where you nearly succeeded this past season?

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Look you have to have Reid whether you like it or not Wooperts. It's a written rule on the internet.<whistle>

With Nelson, this is a footballer you are talking about so wanting to carry on and see a job through seldom comes into anything does it. To be fair to Nelson he was given his chance here and took it. He has given us a fair service in return so if he did think he should go elsewhere to assist him moving up then I couldn't really blame him. I would prefer him to stay though.

:emoticon-0147-emo: anyone else think this smiley looks like the German Manager?

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  20. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

How (Joachim) Löw can you get ? :emoticon-0105-wink:

sensiblegreeny likes this.