1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus and NOTHING to do with football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Covid Test Sites:
    The sub contractor is charging £500 rent per week per gazebo.
    That would amount to approx £119 MILLION a year RENT for all Test site gazebos.
    Apparently they cost about £500 to actually BUY ONE.
    And one small site has two.
    So £1,000 a week. Who signed that off?!

Hornet-Fez and Bolton's Boots like this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

"Our patience has its limits," said government spokesman Gabriel Attal, leaving the Council of Ministers on Wednesday, October 27.
    France, in conflict with the United Kingdom over post-Brexit fishing licenses, will very soon announce retaliatory measures, part of which will come into force on Tuesday, November 2, unless British policy changes by then. announced Gabriel Attal, Wednesday October 27.
    The first of these measures will apply from November 2, namely "systematic customs and sanitary controls on products landed (in France) and the ban on unloading of seafood", "with controls on trucks, ”he said. The government spokesperson also referred to "a second series of measures", "including energy measures relating to the supply of electricity for the Channel Islands".
    "Our wish is quite simply that the agreement which has been concluded can be respected," said Gabriel Attal, who was speaking at the end of the Council of Ministers. France will "not let Britain wipe its feet on the Brexit deal," he insisted. "What we are seeing today is that almost 50% of the licenses to which we are entitled are missing. It is a situation which is not acceptable and I say it clearly, our patience is reaching its limits", he stressed again.

3. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Where on earth is that?

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

This was a whistle blower from Yorkshire, but he stated that this existed over the whole of England.

5. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

I.m on my last day of isolation. This morning I was woken up by the 4th call I've had from Test & trace , asking me how I was and then reading her script of pointless advice and data protection junk. Each call has been more pointless than the previous one. It occurs to me that we have , at the moment at least 400000 people self-isolating. In addition , many more thousands are warned by text/'phone that they have been in contact etc... Why can't these callers be allocated to GP surgeries and assist the overwhelmed reception staff. It might at least be useful.

6. Bolton's Boots

Google is not being my friend - can't find a link to that anywhere.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Try

Hornet-Fez and Bolton's Boots like this.
  8. Bolton's Boots

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Remember how in the 90's "Sure Start" centres were set up in some of the more deprived areas of the country. By 2010 there were 3,600 of them, and it was agreed across the political spectrum that they did a good job, and in fact kept many children out of hospitals. David Cameron pledged to maintain them, but in fact the funding was cut by two thirds, resulting in hundreds of them closing.
    The government now seems to have realised that they were a good idea after all, so have announced that they will start "Family Hubs" that sound as though they might be the same thing under a different name.
    Lord Farmer has just registered Family Hubs Ltd. as a private company. Lord Farmer was the former treasurer of the Conservative Party. I wonder if Family Hubs Ltd. will get any government money?

10. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

That might be implying someone from Parliament is an opportunistic chancer. As if.

11. Bolton's Boots

Far-sighted rather than opportunistic - the company was registered in November last year. A case of political insider trading?
    And it's more than someone from parliament - if I'm not wrong there are two of them. David Cameron's former family policy adviser, Samantha Callan is also a director.

Am pretty sure this is her - looks like something out of a Rees-Mogg wet dream from the 1850s...

Screenshot_20211029-095017~2.png

andytoprankin likes this.
  12. andytoprankin

<laugh> (at the latter point)

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

I wonder why he cannot get a suit that fits him?

14. Bolton's Boots

It may have something to do with this - was he so drunk he had to be manhandled up the steps, or was he so enraged at the sight of President Macron that he had to be forcibly restrained?

Drunk or Angry.jpg

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Reports suggest that he had had a very good lunch, and there was some laughter at the state he was in. Nothing to confirm the reports, but similar ones have come out over the years.

16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Jesus feckin Christ! This thread alone should be enough to spark a revolution let alone a whitewash, sorry, parliamentary inquests.:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry

andytoprankin likes this.
  17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

If ever you wanted some evidence that the UK has sidelined itself from not only its largest market the EU, the longed for trade deal with the US is just not happening either. Listen to the language being used by the US, and the UK doesn't even get a mention.

The UK has been "left behind" according to steel makers after the US agreed to end a trade war over items that also included whiskey and Harley-Davidsons.

President Biden has signed a deal to end tariffs on steel imports from the EU, which were imposed by his predecessor Donald Trump.

But the agreement does not cover exports from the UK, putting British steelmakers at a disadvantage.

Trade body UK Steel said a deal for British producers was "sorely needed".

The tariffs, which came into force in 2018, nearly halved British steel exports to the US, Gareth Stace, director general of UK Steel, said.

The US is the second-largest market for British-made steel. But the new deal will put UK producers at a competitive disadvantage compared to European rivals who will be able to ship their products to the US without paying import taxes.

18. Bolton's Boots

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

One can only believe that Johnson knew full well what the letter actually said as he went to school in Brussels where they spoke French. He also was at the EU as a journalist, so would be able to understand that dommages can have different meanings depending on what context it is used in.
    It should also be noted that Alex Wickham is a mate of Johnson, and is reported to be godfather to his latest son.

20. andytoprankin

I think the usual container for this sort of thing is a sack, rather than a suit.