1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus and NOTHING to do with football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The supply chains are already beginning to fall apart. The lorries that normally come through France from Spain are just not on the roads anymore. The French and Spanish governments which are operating far more stringent measures than the UK have effectively slowed down all cross Channel traffic. Until the UK government adopt some of the measures legally that exist in most of Europe, then the governments over here are happy to slow trade, despite the hit on the economy. They are attempting to tackle the crisis head on, while watching Johnson tonight he is still frightened to tell the UK population that they can follow the EU countries, something that he is doing actually, but very slowly.

2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

The European countries are simply further on in the cycle. There is no sign yet of a slow down in supplies from Europe despite your wishful thinking.

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Been down the A20 or A71 this past week SH?

4. superhorns

One of my daughters went to Aldi this afternoon, almost fully stock apart from whole chickens and passata. Are the stockpiling lemmings getting bored?

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

My son went to a large Tesco in Leeds at 10.00 am this morning, and it was stripped bare. He went on to Costco, and they only had coffer left which was being rationed.

6. superhorns

Doomsayer hobbyist.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Been down the A20 or A71 this week SH, because I think you might have noticed that they were deserted.

8. superhorns

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think we appreciate what you are saying SH, but instead of offering them to us wouldn't it be better to get them to NHS staff who are openly saying that they have little protection. Better still exert some pressure on the government to close non-essential shops rather than have people wandering around as if it is a normal shopping day. To wait for the shops to close without some government say so seems pure negligence on their behalf.

10. superhorns

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I was not being political at all SH. My daughter sees 20-26 patients every day at her clinic. She has been supplied with a cheap paper mask, but many of the staff on reception who see even more, don't have even this basic equipment yet.
    If people didn't have shops open apart from the essential food shops, would they go out to wander around shopping centres which is a popular Sunday pastime. If the Intu centre in Watford only had food shops open, would people even be there? Companies such as Primark, John Lewis and Waterstones are closing, but that is of their choosing. There is no need here to go out and join a throng with only the food shops open, and that has also stopped any panic buying. I am only suggesting that you look at other models that seem to be working, and ask your government is it certain that it is choosing the right route.

andytoprankin likes this.
  12. superhorns

13. superhorns

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I thought you were invited to have your say via the Tory party. If that is the case you have every right to express an opinion. I hate to ask you why it has been thought acceptable to reduce the staff, beds and equipment over the past ten years. Other countries are better prepared for such a crisis, yet still are struggling. As you suggest future governments will not allow such a dreadful experience to happen again, but that depends on how these future governments decide to spend the money available. Just read about the suffering happening in the USA today where people cannot afford to have treatment, and you would want to keep their system at arms length.

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Thank you SH, but she would not accept something that gave her an advantage over her friends and colleagues. We are all in this together is the mindset of her consultant surgeon right down to the lady who comes around with the spray and mop to clean her consulting room.

16. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Lucky you to get them...
    Millions would Iike your address...

I suggest you go now to your nearest hospital and give all you have...

Meanwhile Germany has five times more ventilators. WHY??

This is SO serious....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  17. yorkshirehornet

Based on your previous posts.. Who believes a word you post...?

18. yorkshirehornet

Can you stop this trolling.. ..
    Our local Leeds stores have been desecrated..
    A few veg a few tins....
    I stood in a queue for bread on Saturday..

This is not some game...

19. yorkshirehornet

I think we have major supply issues ahead. So much of our produce now comes from overseas.
    I am seriously worried. We took advice and didn't stockpile and now have only a little food.
    I don't think I can go in supermarkets any more as they are big virus spreaders.. As i have a compromised immune system..

On the news tonight they say we have 48 hours before the virus hits Yorkshire... So many people seem to have one or other symptom.. Who knows what anyone has got....

Heavy hearted tonight...

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think we have to accept that SH comes here with his own perspective, which as it happens is rather different to the rest of us. I think that we should all accept that the government is totally at sea and is playing follow my leader. Cologne is probably right when he says that the EU should have given a stronger lead, but as this crisis has developed at different rates in different countries it is difficult to place an overall policy that will apply to every situation or every country when they are so disparate in size. Because of the government wishing to look that they know what they are doing, and being stuck with their rhetoric over the EU, they are just falling behind the curve. Strip out the language that Johnson uses down to what he actually says, and you can see what an empty vessel he actually is. 35 M tuned in to listen to Macron, and there was none of the flowery language, arm waving etc, just a straight forward message to say what regulations were imposed and why. My pages of social comment from the English who live abroad are quite clear which leader they would rather see in a time of crisis.