1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

hopefully she wont get the chance either

Staines R's likes this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

But then New Zealand has done the very best, 25 deaths in total and now raising all restrictions, through the most comprehensive lockdown and test and trace to date.

The problem with this ****ing thing is that there seems to be no definitive way to deal with it and it’s impact varies wildly from place to place and person to person. In these circumstances I tend, very reluctantly, to err on the side of caution. I started off the opposite. But in this country, unlike say Sweden or Germany, I think the relative weakness of our health service is key. It takes a very small rise in hospitalisations and admissions to ICU for the whole thing to grind to a halt, as we saw a few months ago - while hospitals and ICUs were never officially ‘full’, treatment of just about any other illness than COVID stopped. I think the government and Chief medical Officer are more scared of this, and potentially horrendous images coming from hospitals, than of the virus itself. And I don’t think it takes many more hospital admissions to crash the system.

I’m ****ing glad I don’t have to make the decisions on this.

3. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Fair enough. You'll understand me following the advice of some of the most qualified medical experts in the country over yours?

4. rangercol

Plus, it's difficult to compare us with Countries like Sweden who have much smaller, more spread out populations.

5. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

apart from Auckland the rest of us drop down to level one today

we have just had the case of someone arriving from India being in quarantine for two weeks and then testing positive 7 days after being released

mapleranger likes this.
  6. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

I’ve never given you advice Col.....You’re a grown man who make his own decisions....maybe not decisions based on facts but hey, ho....we all make our own choices

NB The article from sky I referenced below makes my point entirely......it seems strange to me anyway that you’re willing to accept the findings, without question, of experts on the matter of COVID....but not willing to accept the findings of experts in the matter of Brexit, who mostly say it’ll be a bad thing (which I disagree with).
    Is it that you are only willing to question on some matters and not others ?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    BobbyD likes this.
  7. Staines R's

8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Staines R's likes this.
  9. Staines R's

Just when you thought this couldn’t get any stranger, the government decide to shut pubs and restaurants at 10pm.
    Phew, this is one clever virus if it can tell the time and only becomes dangerous at 10pm.....absolute ****ing joke.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think the idea is that pissed people aren’t so good at social distancing, and there will be less pissed people if the pubs closed earlier. From my perspective this is a vast underestimate of the determination of the average Briton to get pissed.

QPR Oslo, BobbyD, SW Ranger and 3 others like this.

11. Staines R's

I disagree mate. Go to a village pub like I did in Windlesham last week and no one was pissed (it was a week night). Social distancing was in place and all was good. They even asked an old fella to move away when he sat at he table me and my mate were on as we weren’t in the same group.
    Just think it’s another knee jerk reaction from the most incompetent government we have ever had and a total waste of time......but remember.....if we don’t do it the cases (symptomatic or otherwise) will surge to 49,000, out pacing Spain and France who we are only 2 weeks behind.
    Buy toilet rolls !!!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Which pub - Brickmakers, Windmill or Half Moon? My company has a big site in Windlesham, I used to go there a lot. Unfortunately we are in the process of closing it, mostly research labs. Just over the road from the Windmill. Those are all Gastropubs, not really your typical English boozer, but I was being tongue in cheek, it’s an odd call to put it mildly.

13. Staines R's

I know The Brickmakers (which is still closed I think) and my mate lives a couple of doors away from The Surrey Cricketers, which is now a posh gastro pub which we avoid.
    For us it’s the good old Sun Inn down the bottom that is a proper working mans boozer, where you know the name of the landlord (Bob) and you’re greeted like a mate when you go in.
    Great place to have a beer, whether empty or full.

kiwiqpr and sb_73 like this.
  14. Staines R's

Beth, it seems from various sources that the figures quoted are far worse than what can be expected and could be seen as ‘scare mongering’. (Why I do not know)
    This fits in with what I feel. As someone who I love and respect would you comment ?

ps....I haven’t had a drink for a while but tonight I’m on the vodka and pissed.... I need to de stress ;)

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Imagine actually walking into a shop whilst wearing a muzzle.

16. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

please log in to view this image

17. rangercol

A tad patronising. Of course I question what I'm told.
    Let's agree to differ eh?

I think you just like to argue mate. :headbang:

18. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Unless you’re a Union Jack twitter account in which case it’s because KHAN SPENT ALL THE MONEE

19. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Gove just said on BBC that they will scrap the plan to let fans return to football. Don’t expect to go back to HQ any time soon.

20. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

You are too sweet..
    So yes I think it is scaremongering...to set us up for what Boris is going to say today.

The figures are "technically" correct. We have ONE set of figures showing a doubling of cases in 7 days. IF those figures were to happen everyday for the next month...and in fact speed up...and as numbers of cases increases the R number and so doubling number would increase and so they would speed up...then we would have 50,000 cases by mid October.

There is a lot of ifs and buts in there. If we are now constantly doubling in 7 days, and if we do nothing about it .....are the two main ones I am talking about.

Remember in March, we really did not know what we were dealing with...and we were slow to react
    This time we are actually a bit more in the know. So it is a worst case scenario...and as I say it is to soften us up for what is being said.

I should also say, we now have some treatments;dexamthasone, the monoclonal I can't remember the name of and the convalescent sera. People are also more aware and will seek treatment earlier, we should not have as many deaths.

Boris has been accused (rightly in Feb/March/April) of not taking it seriously enough. This time he means to show he does take it seriously....or he is trying to take the countries mind off other things (brexit, breaking international law, dodgy dealings of the banks, being in cohoots with Russian Oligarchs, that sort of thing)

jeffranger likes this.