1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

G hoop will tell you it's all part of the plan

2. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Not just infections but Covid deaths rising again in the UK. Removing requirement to wear masks, the 1 meter rule and other restrictions Monday is dangerous according to many medical experts, the WHO and National Leaders in NZ, Israel and Italy. Dangerous for the UK, but also the World in that vaccine resistant variants will be given the environment that help them develop.

3. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I hate the restrictions as much as the next person but removing them all in one swoop is just crazy. How is this a cautious step? Get ready for carnage!

QPR Oslo likes this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Flu vaccinations.

A good thing. Had one last year and will this year when invited. But I hope that’s not for sometime because at the moment it’s hard to see how they will choose which vaccine to give, or how they need to tweak existing vaccines for the current version of flu. Usually we rely on the earlier Aussie flu season to identify the prevalent flu virus and protect against it. But, thanks to COVID restrictions Australia has historically low levels of flu, like we did last year. But this year, without masks and social distancing, the experts (who can be wrong) expect a bumper resurgence of flu in this country.

This is a puzzle which I hope people much cleverer than me have a solution for.

Meanwhile, while the surge in cases and the lower but still significant surge in hospitalisations and the little bump in deaths attributed to COVID is as expected and as explicitly broadcast by the government and its advisors, one thing I hadn’t realised and what a scientific colleague explained to me, using small words and talking slowly, was that we risk becoming a hotbed for variants. Because if you are vaccinated, and catch the virus, even if you have no symptoms, let alone being hospitalised, the encounter with the vaccine helps up the odds of vaccine resistant versions developing. The way the avoid this is to minimise the amount of virus circulating, and the English policy is doing the exact opposite. I imagine other countries will be looking at us very carefully, we really are an experiment. Although the US, where vaccination rates have crawled to a halt, is unwittingly doing the same thing.

I can understand why we are taking this approach, and there is some sense that a surge is inevitable and best to get it over with, but I have a growing worry that this will not be a ‘final’ wave after which COVID, which will never go away, becomes an irritating background noise, but simply another wave. We will need high levels of global vaccination and continual updated boosters before ‘background noise’ is achievable.

I’m going to try to stop thinking about this stuff. I’ll still take precautions where it seems sensible, in the full knowledge that unless the vast majority of people do this it’s pretty much a waste of time, and get on with stuff.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  5. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Today 54k infections and 41 deaths. Likewise it concerns me that people will think it's over and just forget what they have been doing for the last few months. I hope I am wrong but Bob maybe right this time. Some of the stories I am hearing from friends regarding peoples actions is also a concern. I might move to Alaska and let you all get on with it.

6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Not the UK, just England. Up here social distancing, mask wearing and reduced capacities are still in force as of Monday, as we are going to Level 0 (equivalent to Englands Level 1)

Ranger4ever, sb_73 and QPR Oslo like this.
  7. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Calling it Freedom Day doesn't encourage caution.

ELLERS likes this.
  8. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

… and ‘cautious’ headlines just don’t sound dramatic enough for news outlets!

Just hope people can see the benefit of common sense (though in my experience the thing about common sense is it isn’t very common).

QPR Oslo, bobmid and Steelmonkey like this.
  9. Steelmonkey

Health Secretary Sajid Javid tests positive for Covid

please log in to view this image

Health Secretary Sajid Javid says he has tested positive for Covid-19 and is suffering "very mild" symptoms.

Mr Javid, who said he had received both vaccine doses, took a lateral flow test on Saturday morning after feeling a "bit groggy" on Friday night and it came back positive.

He said he is now self-isolating until he gets the results of a PCR test.

Meanwhile, England's deputy chief medical officer, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, has warned of a "bumpy winter" ahead.

It comes as the UK recorded more than 50,000 daily cases for the second day running, days before almost all legal restrictions on social contact are lifted in England on Monday.

There were 54,674 cases - following 51,870 new cases on Friday - with 41 deaths within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test.

The last time cases exceeded 50,000 was in mid-January.

10. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

The good thing for me was it wasn’t all COVID on last nights shift…..did my second birth in 3 years and cheered me up no end.
    To be fair she had done most of the hard work so we just assisted but a nice job to end on :)

11. Steelmonkey

Hope she named it after you! <laugh><laugh>

Staines R's likes this.
  12. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

It was a girl……we suggested ‘Lou’ as the birth took place on her toilet floor.

Don’t think she went for it

BobbyD, ELLERS, rangercol and 2 others like this.
  13. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Isn't it just the media referring to it as "freedom day"? Not aware of anyone in government calling it that.......

Media creating the agenda?

14. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I heard Johnson himself use the phrase the other day.

15. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

THE Beta variant of coronavirus spreading in France poses a "threat" to the UK with mounting evidence "it can evade the immune response generated by the AstraZeneca vaccine more efficiently", a scientist involved in advising the Government has warned.

16. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

God forbid you go to a nice beach in a foreign country which has a much lower ingection rate than England, but feel free to go to a packed nightclub with no mask or social distancing. What the **** is this government playing at? Just more and more mixed, hypocrytical, deluded messaging. No wonder so many dont listen to a single ****ing thing they say anymore!

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

You’re just saying that to cheer me up, aren’t you?

bobmid likes this.
  18. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Did it work?

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It’s a beautiful evening, I’ve had half a bottle of very cold Sauvignon blanc and some tasty pasta in the garden, I will not be getting stressed about stuff I can’t control.

SW Ranger, bobmid and Staines R's like this.
  20. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Yep, same as.
    We're in the garden sinking our second bottle of cold white wine and refusing to stress over things (at least for tonight).

SW Ranger, Steelmonkey, sb_73 and 3 others like this.