1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by brb, Feb 25, 2020.

?

Boris...

1. should completely lock us down immediately and fook up all our Christmas'

12.5%
  2. let the bodies stack high

54.2%
  3. lock us down from the 29th to fook up Treble's plans

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O'l Gravy Leg.

O'l Gravy Leg. Well-Known Member

That's imo because those with the significant amounts of taxable income (the well off but not well off to be able to avoid the tax) many of whom work in things like the media ect, the 6 figure types, convince the middle & lower middle class that the extra 200 quit tax in a year to cover the care, is somehow disastrous to the whole country

What's a few extra few hundred for me say in tax, is a few grand to them on 6 figures

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Think DMD squeezed an entire bank holiday weekend out of that one.

Tobes likes this.
  3. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

go on then tell me which party is going to go into an election with an income tax rise in their manifesto and be expected to win .
    God they struggle to hold votes if they suggest that instead of setting up their children for life the empty home should be sold to fund their on average £30000 p.a Residential Care fees .

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Took the little un for another Covid test today, she seems to get a fever every other week ffs.

Waiting for negative to come back so she can ****off back to Nursery.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. O'l Gravy Leg.

COVID will come back after lockdowns, it will keep coming back.

It was all meant to "flatten the curve"
    That has been done either by events or by measure, the how is irrelevant at this point.

The most effective protection is an aware public who are mindful of spreading it.

So my question is: How much more of these lockdowns are you willing to accept?
    Until and including Christmas?
    Mar.Apr/May 2021?
    Longer?

Because if you are not going to lockdown over a resurgence of cases (inevitable) in Oct 2021, then that means locking down in Oct 2020 is absolutely pointless (because it's not about curve flattening any more)

every one of those public talking heads calling for constant lockdowns can work fine during lockdowns,

UN says lockdowns have doubled world poverty, that'll kill 30 times what COVID has in a decade, and it will be the reverse of COVID< it will kill mostly kids

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We're in a lockdown here in Wales at present, not sure it'll achieve a great deal myself but am more than willing to do what we can to see if it helps.

Beyond that, can only forecast they do it again mid winter, maybe even half term of schools again so February. Probs better mid January though, when we all do **** all anyway.

After that, forget it.

We keep doing this and those shops and gyms and football clubs and tennis clubs and golf clubs and restaurants and bars and cafes, and everything else needlessly affected by this, won't be opening back up again, ever.

We've just got to get on with "living with" it until a vaccine is found, I know that will upset a lot of people who demand the rest of us stay in doors to protect them but that's just how it'll have to be, we are simply robbing Peter to pay Paul at the moment and it can't go on.

You're correct in what you say, keep washing, sanitising and keeping a decent social distance, plus wear masks.

And instead of saying " but, but, but the British public are all ****wits, they won't do it" deal with those that don't ffs.

7. O'l Gravy Leg.

and the truth is most people will do that, the vast majority will follow preventative measures and say stuff to people they see not doing it, unless you have a certain political slogan on your shirt, then you can do anything

The zealots are making things worse. It's literally got to the point where scientists are being un-keynote speakered for having different opinions on debatable matters relating to COVID.

Michael Levitt, a Nobel Prize-winning structural biology professor, basically got cancelled for his scientifically weighed opinions on COVID, by other academics
    In the UK now, to even ponder if we're doing the wrong thing brings screams of "you want nana to die" and other such neurotic fear induced accusations

8. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Isn’t having to fund your own residential care home fees already a thing if you’re a home owner though?

9. Solid_Air 2

Yes but there is a whole industry in how to avoid them plus there has been a conrant campaign to get a persons contribution limited to say £32000 .

PS back in the early 90's my late father in law suggested giving us their property but with them having the legal right to live there - can't remember the name of this common legal fiddle. The following coonvo ensued

FiL " so we put the property in your name then if we go in a nursing home they can't make us sell the house to pay the fees "
    me "you got this from the Daily Mail didn't you"
    FiL "yes"
    me "you bloody hypocrite you moan like hell about some fella on the dole doing a bit on the side on a saturday at the market yet you are prepared to screw the state for potentially 10's of thousands "
    FiL " its legal "
    me "don't make it right "

ended up saying if they pissed me off i'd have them out of the house whayever the contract said .
    Strangely the decided not to do it <laugh>

BobbyD and Tobes like this.
  10. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

How wonderful to see the collective response of Joe Public towards ensuring that every kid gets fed this half term.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Yeah it is, but every person helping out and doing their bit, there seems to be 2 shouting about how they can cook a meal that costs 87p and so poverty isn’t a thing. Flat screen tellies, X box and drugs yanno.

12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I think it’s far tighter than that now though, as a local authority can look back at assets that you’ve gifted to others and unless it’s done a long while before care being needed, it’ll likely be considered a deliberate attempt to deprive yourself of assets and they’ll add the value of the asset disposed of to the amount of capital you have, meaning the £23k limit is exceeded and they’ll want their dosh. They can even go after the relative that the asset has been gifted to.

13. Solid_Air 2

always been able to under deprivation rules but once a number of years have passed difficult to prove it was done with the sole purpose of depriving the state the asset .
    PS deprivation of assets rule applied as long back as the 80's as i once ruled that a fella couldn't claim supplementary benefit for the next 17 years as he couldn't prove where his redundancy pay of nearly £40000.00 had disappeared to .
    Shame Supp Ben didn't last that long and the moment that they stopped using paper records that sort of stuff became much more difficult .

Tobes likes this.
  14. O'l Gravy Leg.

Daughter got sniffles 3 days ago. My chest is raw yesterday eve and today, was getting paranoid <yikes>

Wifey went for test yesterday, they did it on the spot, as she was also under the weather, negative
    Phew!

Paranoia avoided for the minute <ok>

15. brb

brb CR250

I'm not understanding this, Man Utd have modified their ground attendance to 23,500, so they can be compliant with covid restrictions. That's all well and good, but the part I'm not understanding, is what happens when those supporters all leave the ground after the game, will they have some magic bubble to aid them away from the ground and onto public transport. Maybe they will all leave the ground in staged departures, when your seat numbers are called, a form of tourist bingo. Number 85 staying alive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54716149

16. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

I suppose you'd try anything if you were £430m in debt.

brb likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

If they proposed staggered arrival times then it must be staggered departures as well. I can see no other way considering the concourse area that circles the ground and how there's always a rush around it after a match.

You're looking at roughly 6,000 in each stand. So instead of holding back the away end, they'll just apply that with the 4 stands. It's good they're doing temperature checks before entry as well, although I appreciate that won't account for those who may be asymptomatic.

18. brb

brb CR250

Still can't see how it's going to work even with staggered departures. My club average attendance is 5k, when all four stands leave at the same time, you still get a bottle neck at some point. For each stand you are roughly going to cause a bottle neck somewhere with 6,000 fans, I can't see how you would avoid it.

Treble likes this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Me either tbf. They'll need to oversee social distancing at the tram stops as well.

If they can demonstrate a viable way of doing it though, I'd be for it.

brb likes this.
  20. brb

brb CR250

Not that it bothers me, much like my own club ground, I make a choice if I go there or not. I wouldn't as things currently stand. I just think if I was an independent retailer or the landlord of a bar, I'd be asking, how come I can't open but you let 23,500 people go to a football game.

I've accepted things can't carry on as they are, at some point, we are going to have to think this through differently. My choice is to protect myself, what other people do is their business as long has they keep away from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.