1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Sep 22, 2020.

1. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

It's funny you write this because I am doing my first LFT and about to submit the result just this second. Yeah, it's mind-blowing how easy it is to fake a negative result actually.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I also suspect that the official figures of infections are dropping because people are deleting the Covid app and avoiding getting tested if they develop symptoms.
    People have had enough of Self Isolation and Lockdowns - and if you're double-jabbed in MOST cases you just feel a bit rough for a few days - like a cold.

3. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

As I drive for a local school I have been doing them for months but I used the example of Silverstone because my son and partner went there for the F1. As he had only had his second jab a couple of days beforehand he had to provide a "provable" negative result via the Gov.UK website. As I was showing him what to do he found the test quite uncomfortable (as I do!) and I wondered then how many young people attending that event would blag the result!

4. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Unless medically compromised.

No jab, no job.
    No jab, no entry to Pubs, Cinemas, Stadiums, Foreign Holidays, Hospitals.

Happy with house arrest for 1For <hug>

5. Reliant Robin TC2

It’s all about personal choice… :emoticon-0105-wink:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  6. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

What hasn't helped overall is it was revealed last week that huge amount of people actually contracted covid whilst in hospital for other ailments.

7. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

It didn't quite say that to be fair. It said that lots of people (I can't remember the figures) tested positive after being in hospital. It's quite possible a big chunk of those were people that were extremely ill with Covid, enough to be hospitalised, but hadn't bothered being tested until they got to hospital and were made to have a test done. Though undoubtedly as you say some people will have caught it in a hospital, it's inevitable.

8. bcfcredandwhite

I read somewhere at the time of the second wave that hospitals were the primary source of infection, followed by schools. Pubs, restaurants and other hospitality accounted for only around 5% of the source.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  9. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I would say that around 40,000 between August last year and February (during the 2nd wave) this year is quite substantial and no true figures exist for the 1st wave but estimated to be at least 30,000. I accept that many were probably more susceptible from the conditions that saw them hospitalised in the first place but these are people who contracted covid in hospitals.

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Probably because pubs, restaurants and other hospitality were restricted hence more space less cases.

11. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Very true but of course the daily demos more than made up for that.

12. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0103-cool::emoticon-0104-surpr
    Will never happen RP however much you want us and liked to be controlled :emoticon-0103-cool:
    Do you have to ask for permission to go out RP?<laugh>

13. oneforthebristolcity

Now this we agree on!!
    I might be wrong, but with the app & passport, information to everywhere we go, what we see and if RP gets his way we might as well all have a chip inserted to know our every movement.

14. remembergou

remembergou Active Member

It was common knowledge in the beginning, first 4 months or so , that hospitals were a source of infection. It certainly was to some care homes that refused to have residents back unless testing negative, or isolating for a set period.
    Being a new disease, it was not always possible to have the right methodology to combat the infection. Sanitizing now is probably 5 fold better than back then, just the odd bit of forgetfulness could unwittingly transfer the disease. A bit like seat belts, when the law changed a very high percentage of people never put them on, straight away, usually after a short while, or few miles. Nowadays it is as familiar as starting the car, changing gear, braking and checking mirrors .... done with minimum of thought.

Jiffie likes this.
  15. oneforthebristolcity

I picked the following from a friend of mine in the States, I know it's a bit OTT and in typical American style and it goes om a bit!!! but quite good, putting things into perspective for a change!!

FINALLY SOMEONE HAS SAID IT!!!!!
    I have done my best to respect the diverse opinions regarding COVID-19 over these past few months, however the ER nurse that posted this brilliantly sums up my train of thought :
    Please just take politics out of it and read this with an open mind using common sense.
    "Anyone out there who can tell me what our end game is with the covid 19?
    What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the all clear?
    Is it zero cases?
    The only way that will happen is if we just stop testing and stop reporting.
    Is it a vaccine?
    It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed.
    The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1796 the last known natural case was in 1977.
    We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective and less than half of the US population choose to get one, and roughly 20,000 Americans will die of the flu or flu complications.
    Oh, you'll mandate it, like other vaccines are mandated in order to attend school, travel to some foreign countries, etc.
    We already have a growing number of anti vaxxers refusing proven, tested, well known vaccines that have been administered for decades but aren’t necessarily safe!
    Do you really think people will flock to get a fast tracked, quickly tested vaccine, whose long term side effects and overall efficacy are anyone's best guess?
    How long are we going to cancel and postpone and reconsider?
    You aren't doing in person school until second quarter?
    What if October's numbers are the same as August's?
    You moved football to spring?
    What if next March is worse than this one was?
    When do we decide quality of life outweighs the risks?
    I understand Covid can be deadly or very dangerous for SOME people, but so are strawberries and so is shellfish.
    We take risks multiple times a day without a second thought.
    We know driving a car can be dangerous, we don't leave it in the garage. Many speed and don't wear seat belts.
    We know the dangers of smoking, drinking and eating fried foods, we do it anyway.
    Is hugging Grandma really more dangerous than rush hour on the freeway?
    Is going out with friends after work more risky than 4 day old gas station sushi?
    Or operating a chainsaw?
    When and how did we so quickly lose our free will and give up our liberty?
    Is there a waiver somewhere I can sign that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with Hugs and Smiles, and the State Fair and go to Church and go hug my Mom in her retirement home?
    I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die, but I will most likely end up feeling like crap for a few days.
    I understand I could possibly pass it to someone else, if I'm not careful, but I can pass any virus onto someone else.
    I'm struggling to see where or how this ends.
    We either get busy living or we get busy dying.
    When God decides it's your time, you don't get any mulligans, so I guess I would rather spend my time enjoying it and living in the moment and not worrying about what ifs and maybes, and I bet I'm not the only one.

16. Reliant Robin TC2

I have to say that over the last couple of days I've been into the middle of Bristol, been to a supermarket and various local (North Somerset) pubs and have not worn a mask. Had one at the ready, but decided not to wear it.

Am I wrong?

17. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

No.
    It's your shout.
    Me, I carry on wearing a mask in any enclosed space.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  18. oneforthebristolcity

You naughty person.......<laugh>.....I've hardly worn one and resisted going anywhere that required it!!!
    No, it's what you feel comfortable with.....

19. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I have had COVID and am double-jabbed - so in theory I am in a very strong immunity position

I wear a mask to protect others

Redprintt and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  20. bcfcredandwhite

Same - although I don’t wear one outside - only inside.

Redprintt likes this.