1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Council defiant on St James' Park name change .

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by holystone, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holystone

holystone Active Member

Taken from Evening Chronicle:

City leaders at the council have passed a motion calling on Mr Ashley to reverse his decision in light of wide-spread fan opposition.

Labour and Liberal Democrat politicians united behind a motion which will see the council refuse to change street signs to reflect the club’s decision to rename the ground the Sports Direct Arena.

The motion, agreed unanimously, says the council officially agrees with “the overwhelming majority of supporters who believe this is the wrong decision”.

It adds: “Council confirms that it has no plans to change existing wayfinding signs which bear the name St James’ Park and call on the club to reconsider their decision.”

The council motion also commits city officers to write to media organisations asking them to hold back from referring to the ground as the Sports Direct Arena.

.....................................................................................................................

Good lads.

Can anyone explain why those cheap MDF signs are still up with SportsDirect.com@ St James Park are still up ( other than tacky advertising)?

2. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

I hope it works out. Every time I hear someone on tele talk about the 'Sports Direct Arena' I die a little bit inside.

3. holystone

holystone Active Member

I think Sky mention it because of contractual reasons but the commentators seem to add " against the fans wishes" when they mention it.

I'd lay odds it stays this way because it's free publicity even though we all know it's crass.

4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

At least Jeff S is sticking to his guns. Look the games up, he just needs to change it back. Some were sucked in by the 10m player promise, the big package including shirt sponsors, Dereks charming bull, but the reality is there has been no interest and we've actually ended up with same shirt sponsor under a different guise! Throw in it was a completely **** decision in the first place, people would respect him more if he bit the bullet and just said 'we got it wrong'. I just don't think they will and don't believe it was ever the intention personally. This has just been a crass effort to boost his shop sales by abusing the clubs image.

5. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

I knew DL was full of it, but I didn't know any of it was charming.

The ground will always be known to us as St. James' Park and nothing will ever change that.

6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Well my mother always said its nice to be nice.

7. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

True, sometimes hard to be though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.