1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

County v Leeds

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a fabulous win for County just now. <applause><applause>

A goal down, they came back to stuff the "Mighty Leeds" 2-1 in the last few minutes.

Supcon72 and BluefromBridgend like this.
  2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Just heard the result. They're having a decent season.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

What odds on 2 of Newport, Cardiff and Swansea being drawn together in 4th round?

Assuming the latter 2 get through. <doh>

4. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Leeds had 9 changes but County were well worth the win.

Watched it on BBC Wales they played some good football even with a ropey pitch.

They deserve Liverpool away now to get some cash.

Blue Sheep and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  5. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Sparkey will know but I suppose as there are 32 teams in the draw then the odds would be 29-1 ??

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

BT - it's actually 29/2 in my reckoning at the start of the draw - assuming of course that both Welsh clubs win their replays. :emoticon-0105-wink:

Let's say City got drawn first out of the bag. That would leave 31 teams in there - 2 Welsh clubs and 29 others.

I make the odds 29/2 that the next ball out of the bag as City's opponents would be either of the other Welsh clubs. Does that make sense to anyone?

7. BluefromBridgend

Now County v Tottenham.

What a draw!!! Brilliant for the club. I'm delighted for them.

Do they play at Rodney Parade or go to Wembley for the cash?

8. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

Rodney parade for defo................the spoilt twats from the prem wont like that at all...............congrats 2 the port may lady luck continue 2 shine on you.....until we play you of course <laugh>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  9. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Not completely so, Sparkey, old bean. That is the odds for that particular situation but it is more complex. it's perm any two from 32 so it's something involving binomials like 32!/ (2! x 30!)....where 32! is 32x31x30 etc. My studies were a very long time ago now....longer than a few posters on here have lived. (44 to be exact!!!!)

DaiJones likes this.
  10. DaiJones

It's like the horses to find doubles it's the number of horses multiplied by one less divided by 2
    3 = (3x2=6 /2) = 3 doubles
    4 = (4x3=12 /2) = 6 doubles
    5 = (5x4 =20 /2) = 10 doubles
    so
    32 = (32x31=992 / 2) = 496

So with 32 teams there are 496 computations but if you think they could be drawn home or away it makes it 992.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

11. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Well whatever the odds are, it didn't happen :azn:

12. BluefromBridgend

And what were the odds on that?

13. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

that could be sooner than you think the way you're losing league games at the moment<laugh><laugh><laugh>

14. aberdude

well it wont be next season, championship football is already wrapped up for the mighty bluebirds........so its alright yeah, in fact its a gas.........<ok>

DaiJones and BluefromBridgend like this.
  15. FrankfurterBlue

Yup. Dai, that's binomials......but it only works like you say if it is two picks. If it's three, then it goes a bit differently and so on. But I'm not sure about the doubling up. If you've permed any two from 32, then that might cover home and away but the odds double if you want to specify home or away.

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Now look here Dai and Furter - my maths are irrefutable.....<laugh>

This is about odds at the outset not number of permutations. There are 32 teams in the bag. Whoever's left in the bag (31 teams) after the very first home team is drawn has a 30/1 chance of being drawn as the away team. In the case of the 3 Welsh teams at the outset, should one of them be drawn first, then obviously be there will be 2 left in there. That means there's a 29/2 chance that one of them will be drawn as the away team.

Assuming more and more English clubs are drawn without one of the 3 Welsh teams appearing, then the odds against an all-Welsh tie will drop accordingly to the extent that if City, Jacks and Exiles are in the last 4 in the bag, then there's bound to be a Welsh team in the 5th round.

That's my thoughts, and anyway - as BT said above, it didn't happen.....<laugh>

17. DaiJones

My head hurts :headbang:

18. FrankfurterBlue

Mine too....but Sparks...that sorts the first draw of the hat but there's fifteen more to think about. And it gets more complicated anyway coz we were looking for any 2 from 3 in the 32 to meet. But as BT says, it's a matter of conjecture or sophisticated Maths and not some Porthcawl sums!!!!

19. aberdude

no wonder the banking sector gets away with so much fraud .....because its only them that understand the bullsh.it figures <laugh>

talking about porthcawl I haven't been there in twenty odd years and still crave the cone of chips from there..........funny enough I also miss fingering dates on the enterprise ride 2 <laugh>.....I intend visiting this coming summer(excuse the pun)...but do they still have the enterprise thy wife has never been on it with me before <laugh> :emoticon-0176-smoke

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Furter - I'll have you know I was good at sums in school...........<laugh>

You can only quote starting odds on something like that, viz before the event. They always alter "in play" and they'll come in or go out depending on those drawn and those left. I still say it was 29/2 when the draw started and anyway, you would have lost your money.<laugh>

Aber - though I live down here I haven't been "to the fair" for probably longer than you. Anyway, I used to get my rides in Trecco......<whistle><whistle>

Can't see the fair being around much longer now the Council have bought back the lease on Salt Lake car park off the Evans family. They paid them over £3mill (we could have got a striker for that) for the return of the remainder of the lease term to kick start this "regeneration" scheme that's been kicking around for years now.

Once that starts the funfair will be be next to go - so get your fingering in while you can.......<laugh><ok>