1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Covid 19 restrictions have done one

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by dennisboothstash, Oct 29, 2020.

1. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It's amusing reading some of those in the suburbs moaning about traffic near their house, when they no doubt grumble about congestion as they drive around Hull to use the services their housing estate can't fund, and then clog up the streets (funded from local rates) to avoid paying for parking.

My guess is they'll claim to use somewhere other than Hull, and ignore the fact that the argument applies there too.

2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Yes, similar in Brid. People coming to use services and clogging up the streets (funded from local rates). Visitors and people coming in to spend money. Who needs them?

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Avoiding parking fees and taking wages out of the City is hardly 'coming in to spend money'. It's also not an excuse to whine about others driving near their house. <doh>

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  4. Barchullona

You were on about driving round to use services. Maybe Hull folk should do all the jobs. I mean, nowhere else has people commuting, do they? Mind you we even have mods in the suburbs taking work off Hull folk who could be moderating.

5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

That's just desperate and silly, as well as ignoring the main points. You can save yourself the time in writing a response, I think the main point I raised stands on its own.

The claim seems to be that suburbanites are free to clog up Hull, but nobody is allowed to use roads near them. I can think of a word for that sort of attitude.

6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

The claim is that we're supposed to be on lockdown, but hundreds of people seem to think it's fine to all meet up and go out for a jolly.

The same applies to wherever they go to meet up.

7. Barchullona

No it doesn't. Are you saying the only people who should work in Hull are those who live in the city boundaries, not people taking wages out of the city? People shouldn't travel in to shop and clog the place up. That is like people in Brid who go on about Wessies this, Wessies that, they should all **** off back home (though they don't say the same about people from Hull or Geordies) when the place would be stuck without them. Ironically a lot of those who moan the loudest about Wessies the spend a load of money to go sit amongst 30,000 of them on a Saturday afternoon.

8. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

People are allowed to travel within their area. The moaning was more about the amount and location of the traffic, so those travelling into Hull (or elsewhere) are equally guilty of what you claim.

9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Nope, that's just you windmilling.

I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of people that clog up Hull, but moan when others drive near their house.

10. Barchullona

As I said previously, at this time of year there would be half a dozen cars on Brid seafront, normally people taking their dogs for a walk on the cliff top. There wasn't a parking space on Sunday.
    Don't know if you saw the mud slide on the cliffs in the paper. My wife was up there with the dogs and it was taped off on the cliff tops with notices about work being done and the cliff crumbling. There were people lifting up the tapes to duck under, have a look and take photos of each other.
    Needless to say there have been the usual idiots getting trapped as they seem unaware tide levels change twice a day, costing a lot of time and money for the coastguards and volunteers who put their lives on the line to rescue them. People who shouldn't be here in the first place.

GlassHalfHull likes this.

11. Barchullona

It 8s a different scenario. People shouldn't be just driving around for the sake of it at this time. Which those on a weekend are doing.

12. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

With 200 flood warnings currently in place they'll be moaning about the amount of rowing boats going through their villages shortly...

Newlandcasual2 and DMD like this.
  13. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

You did well to know what each and everyone of them is doing and where they live, but currently there is no law stopping them moving around in their area.

It alters nothing about the main point I made.

Barchullona likes this.
  14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I remember the ones a few years back, where the press got clattered for ignoring this area, so came to do a piece about the struggles, and in the back of the shot was people canoeing under Chants Ave bridge, and having a good time. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  15. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

There is a law against people meeting up in groups, who aren't part of the same household and they quite clearly are.

This is a thread about lockdowns and I think it perfectly reasonable that people ignoring the lockdown rules are discussed on it.

The point is no different, whether there's 200 people doing it in Hotham Estate, or 200 people are doing it in Pearson Park.

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

As it's me making the point, I suspect I'm in a better position than you to know if the point is the same or not, and it isn't.

The complaint is about people feeling that others have the audacity to drive near their house, when they themselves are quite likely to feel justified in doing the same elsewhere.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  17. Barchullona

You started off about saying people coming in to Hull to access services their council estates don't provide and things paid for out of local rates. The council estates are in the Hull boundary so those people are paying local rates. You then digressed to people taking wages out of Hull. City should be glad people travel in from the suburbs clogging the roads up on matchdays.

18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It was in response to other comments. You are continuing to make my point for me, that people grumble about traffic near them, but feel justified in being 'the traffic' elsewhere.

19. gtigerbackin hull

gtigerbackin hull Well-Known Member

Yesterday I received a letter from the NHS asking me to ring the number given and book a Corona Jab.
    I duly rang the number and was offered a place at Harrogate , Leeds or Askham Bar York, I said they are miles away and I live in between 2 Jab centres, Beverley Race Course and Driffield Hospital. I was told they were not on her list, advised to ring back in a few days or ring my GP. Obviously the person you talk to is working from home, which is somewhere darn sarf and is not aware how big Yorkshire is.
    Rang my GP and was told ignore the letter, I will be informed by my GP in a week or so and it will be at Bev' R/Course.
    The receptionist said she had received lots of calls saying the same, but didn't know why we had got the letters.
    I've since found out from friends similar age 75 to 80 they also got a letter yesterday, one agreed to go to York , immediately she put the phone down her GP rang her and offered her an appointment at Beverley, she now wished that she had refused the York one.
    Anyone else had the same? Appears that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  20. Barchullona

So, are you talking about who drives where during pandemics when they are supposed to remain local or in normal times which is a different issue. In normal times better bus services, more park and ride f acilitiesalong with more, and affordable parking, would help.