1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Covid

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BluefromBridgend, Aug 20, 2021.

1. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

WoL reports some players have declined to have Covid vaccinations. MM says he can't force them despite the possibility of them catching and spreading it. Martin at Swansea agrees.

Now there may be some on here who say they are fine with that.

I'm not. That is sheer, crass stupidty on a whole variety of fronts. Not least a lack of consideration for others, as well as themselves.

2. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Agree. Warnock said the same about Boro players.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  3. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Totally with you BfB. It just amazes me what trivial things people decide to make a stand over.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't understand that attitude either. I couldn't wait to get my jabs albeit I'm probaly 40 years older than some of them and hence statistically more "vulnerable".

Although the players and staff are required by the EFL to be a regularly tested "bubble" for training, physio work, travelling and playing, they are not hermits. They presumably go home every night and mix with family, friends and just passing acquaintances socially.

Although I understand that vaccination does not totally prevent someone from infecting others as a carrier, there must be a moral obligation amongst all those involved to minimise that risk.

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  5. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

It’s selfish and totally unacceptable unless there are medical grounds not to be vaccinated. Rates of infection in under 30’s has risen since recent restrictions lifted. More reason why players in that age group should do the right thing.

6. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Completely selfish. If they deliberately took any other decision to affect their health adversely, or that of their colleagues, they could be sacked. Same for vaccinations. If they were to go on tour to Southern Africa, they would need Yellow Fever vaccinations or similar, this is no different. it's basic health and safety and should be a condition of employment. if any one got covid and missed a game, they should be docked wages or if they infected others and prevented them playing, some sort of compensation should be paid.

7. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

Totally down to the individual......ive declined the vaccine myself and long may it continue to be my sovereign right to do so

blueturk the cat likes this.
  8. BluefromBridgend

Your decision Aber but we're you unfortunate to catch Covid have you considered the possibility of those around you becoming infected if not vaccinated?

Around 212 million cases and 4 1/2 million deaths worldwide is hardly a conspiracy. There are currently nearly 110,000 serious cases across the world.

clingo likes this.
  9. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

A sovereign right is not in question - it's the current law. However, this is irrelevant when there is such an overwhelming moral imperative. That imperative is to look after the NHS and the people that work in it. The vaccine may not prevent anyone from contracting Covid but it does overhwhelmimgly reduce the risk of hospitalisation. I was taken into hospital in May 2020 and I witnessed first hand the effect on my local hospitals. My ailment was not Covid related but I ended up being transfered to 3 different locations in 24 hours as they struggled to cope. The knock on to this is that a routine procedure that I was promised two and a half years ago is still out of sight - and I'm far from being alone. At the moment, 90% of the Covid cases in my local hospitals are unvaccinated individuals.
    So I reiterate, never mind making a stance abot a right that isn't under threat and think more about the moral responsibility of caring for others.

10. aberdude

Dude I don't care anymore about sides....I'm not having it and that's that everyone can make a choice based on their own reasons but shouldn't be forced onto you based on someone else's opinions.

11. aberdude

The NHS was a mess but what did we expect from years of neglect.....I could go on for hours why I don't want it but I'm not going to.

12. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Yes it was and there's no arguing with that. But that just supports my earlier point about personal, moral imperatives. If we know something is bad because of under funding and lack of resources, why take actions that could put it under further pressure?
    Of course, if you have other reasons for not having the jab other than protecting your sovereign right, then you, I'm sure, will make a sensible decision. But that wasn't the original point that you made.
    Like you I'll leave it at that <ok>

13. blueturk the cat

blueturk the cat Well-Known Member

I'm with Aber on this one

If anyone has had the vaccine and is keeping up with jabs for variants, why on earth worry about the people who aren't vaccinated ?

I'm not anti vax and I want to be vaccinated but I'm going to wait until after the trial stage (which is I believe ends in 2023) and take my chance with my own immune system which has served me well for nigh on 60 years

aberdude and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  14. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I've been double jabbed, mrs remote hasnt out of choice. To be fair, we lead a life that doesn't expose us to huge amounts of people so the risk is low.

I have no issue with people chosing either way.
    We try to be considerate, still wearing masks in shops even though we dont have to.

However, if players chose not to be jabbed, as is their right, and a club gets struck down with an outbreak, I dont expect managers to be bleating that they cant put a full strength team out. There were such whinges by some teams last week.
    Given moore and Colwill have had the virus you'd have thought it would have been an incentive to the rest of the squad to get vaccinated.

15. blueturk the cat

blueturk the cat Well-Known Member

I didn't know this as I hate wearing masks as my spectacles keep getting misted up (especially in the lingerie dept) but as you say I will try and wear one to be considerate to the elderly and perhaps more unfortunate healthwise folk

16. BluefromBridgend

Fair points BTtC but what about those who can't be vaccinated for health reasons and there have been plenty of people of 60 years or less who have suffered badly with Covid and even passed away. If it gets you, your immune system won't be a lot of help.

I understand that more than 50% of the current UK cases are under 30.

Surely much of the trialling has been successfully completed and with over 70% of the UK population having had both jabs it can be argued that trialling continues every day.

Why delay another 2 years? Covid won't.

17. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

On another point - what on earth are NZ locking down the whole country as ONE person has the virus??
    NZ has 2 islands doesn’t it; he can’t be in both <doh>
    So totally overreacting and disproportionate.

blueturk the cat and aberdude like this.
  18. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt criticise another country after the bufoon and cos handling of our situation.

19. BluefromBridgend

Agreed. Most of the stuff their esteemed leader dictates is way over the top.

New Zealand's population is just under 5 million, centred mainly on the North Island around Auckland and Christchurch. Wellington and Dunedin are South Isand. Our population is around 68 million with multiple population centres.

The country is 10% bigger in size than the UK so do the maths in terms of the liklihood of the virus being passed on there.

I could be wrong but I believe their vaccination rate stands at about 20%. They have had just under 3,000 cases and very few deaths.

It can be argued that her policies have worked better than here but we have very different issues in terms of population size, diversity and differing cultures/opinions. What has worked for her there, wouldn't work here.

I doubt if they have even heard of Covid on South Island.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  20. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Forgot to say, I live in Ingerlund. Might be different in our home country.

I wear a mask out of consideration for those working in the shops. I'm in and out. They're subject to large numbers of people 8 to 10 hours a day.