1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cup versus Newport (round 2)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

should scored!!

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Another 30 minutes. Or there's a documentary on environmental management of the Russian steppes on C4.

3. notDistantGreen

Garita (why?) misses a penalty.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Big mistake letting Garita take the penalty....what the hell was the thinking behind that....it's now fired Newport up.

5. Greenarmyjoe

another one now its carey

6. Greenarmyjoe

goal wotrth 500k

7. notDistantGreen

Carey! Penalty number 2=

8. notDistantGreen

Two nailed on penalties. Don't say they weren't Westley.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Agree on them, await his interview? Good willy missed a certain goal near the end.. should be good riddance in january for him .. I know garita missed the penalty but he done ok and was a threat.. well on we go.. Merry xmas.. <party>

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yeeeeeesssssssssssss.....that'll do.

Why didn't Carey take the first penalty as well.....didn't he score two penalties here last year ?

11. notDistantGreen

Oh either he wasn't asked or was too busy planning excuses for tomorrow's papers. Warnock stood in as PAFC's unofficial publicist!

12. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Ha marvelous! Awful game but No 2 son has just confessed that his Christmas pressie for me is our tickets to Anfield- he was panicking a bit when we missed the first pen.! Haven't been to Anfield since the late 70s when Burnley got stuffed 0-3. Think it might be a drive to Manchester on the Saturday and stay at No1 sons,then train to Liverpool and back (beer!?). Both very excited!

13. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Watched this in the Hyde Park Social Club accompanied by a few beverages. Just as well there was drink involved otherwise I might have imploded. What a rubish game that was. It was hard to figure which was the top club and wich was the bottom. It was an absolutely aweful pitch and it should not be allowed by the FA. Far too many games called off on it and that is pathetic for a professional side.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Garita took the first penalty and I am not exactly sure what it was for. Seemed a bit harsh but I may have missed something whilst swallowing my ale. The second was nailed on. As for Goodwillie he was very clever to get it and knew exactly what he was doing. Carey takes the second which in my opinion should have been the first as well. He scores and 1 - 0 was always going to decidee this game. The game was a terrible example of league 2 football. We are better than that but the pitch levelled it and stopped us being what we can be. The only thing I can say is we did it and a payday awaits. Normally Argyle would have choked on this so it does bode well for the rest of the season.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Listened to it on 5Live.....sounded a good end to end game.....comments a bit welsh bias....but who cares now.

15. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was probably better to listen to than watch Plym. I would not have described it as end to end.

16. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Even my Bears at their Tee Party were listening to this one...The Honey Pots were thrown to the lake when we missed the first penalty.
    But in the end it was " If you go down to the woods today" well you know the rest.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Get a grip BC.....you'll be buying your Bears Argyle shirts next......but I don't expect they make them big enough.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Totally mystified by the first penalty situation.....Garita immediately claimed the ball.....this is a young inexperienced player who has hardly got any league or cup time in his locker.

This is the moment that leadership on the pitch or from the manager should have taken over at this point......I am assuming that Carey is the designated penalty taker with second choice being Jervis....how come Garita takes command of the ball.....the video doesn't show anything at this moment beyond Garita picking up the ball and then taking the kick. Did Carey ask for the ball....did McCormick the captain take command of the situation.....whatever happened off the video at this moment is a mystery.

Seeing the significance of winning this game.....a trip to Liverpool and more telly and a big attendance payout....which would pay a few bills and surely help the manager in the January window....why do we allow a raw loanee to take this penalty with so much at stake.

The captain and manager needed to be in control of that moment....and Carey should of been given the ball......Carey taking the second penalty when the pressure had been turned up a notch or two proved that point... with the command he showed of cooly placing the ball in the right corner with the goalkeeper going the wrong way....a very important moment for Argyles season...on the pitch and off.

ps.......Those watching the match live on telly...what was your opinion of what happened....did anyone try to take the ball away from Garita.

Garita does seem to be a little firey at times...which isn't bad....but should not go beyond the control of team orders.

If Carey and Jervis are the nominated penalty takers... and at least one of them is on the pitch... then they should always take the penalty.....if Garita disobeyed that situation, then he should face disciplinary procedure....it could of been so costly his missed penalty.....if he doesn't want to stay if given the opportunity in January then so be it....the team and club are more important than a inexperienced Championship player riding rough shod over those who will be here after he has gone back to City.

19. Greenarmyjoe

No one seemed to try and take the ball.
    Now it does not matter as we won.

20. notDistantGreen

Firstly the penalty was for handball I think. The defender had an arm round our player and the ball hit it. Definitely an unnatural position and perfect justice!

Secondly, Adams, being the man he is, admitted in the post match interview that the missed penalty was in effect his fault as he hasn't to date nominated penalty takers. Instead, he works on the principle that those that want it most are most confident and therefore most likely to score. It's one way of doing it I suppose but it least he mans-up and takes the responsibility.

I don't agree you couldn't see who was top and who was bottom. There were odd, very brief moments when we got the ball down and played but the pitch was a killer. One of the commentators or pundits mentioned that neither side were risking passing the ball between the defenders and goalkeepers so that as soon as the ball was in a defender's possession, it was hoofed. Not a way to start a passing move. Let's hope we can make amends with a good show on the pristine Fields of Anfield Road!