1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dan James - Superstar DJ or expensive mistake ?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Jammy 07, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to have an opinion on Dan James so let's hear them.

My view is after only 17 games he's fast becoming a fans favourite at ER. Not since the days of Strachan have we seen someone who's as totally committed to the cause and he certainly leaves it all out there on the pitch.

We'll surely look back on his signing in years to come and consider it as good value, especially as he's only 24 and his best years are ahead of him.

2. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

I'm warming to him. Final ball and decision making needs work but he gets stuck in and against Newcastle was the first player back when they counter attacked in the second half on one occasion. Don't mind leaving a foot in as well. He can't be expected to play as a lone striker and hold the ball up.

3. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

I really rate him, his effort and commitment is amazing. Great attitude and does what is asked of him. Got a couple of goals and an assist so far. Needs to approve on his shooting and final ball a little bit but there’s enough to say he’s got it in his locker. So quick and I want to see more of his pace. I think with a fully fit team he starts ahead of Harrison for me.

4. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I like him, he works hard, runs fast and has a bit of bite to him. Finishing maybe a weakness, but he'll get better.<ok>

5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

As everyone else has said, grafts hard, gets stuck in, very pacey and looks very much committed to everything he does. I like him. Giving 100% is all I ever ask for as a fan and he does it week in week out regardless of his position.

My only gripe with his signing is that there are question marks over whether he is better than we already had in Harrison and Raphinha. The fact he can't seem to find much quality in his creativity or indeed any consistency to his finishing. In short it's a toss up if he is better than Harrison when we really needed a central midfield player or a striker.

25 million wasted imo, not on the player personally, but where the squad needed improvement.

He will have to improve his end product if he wants to play at this level all his career.

wakeybreakyheart and Irishshako like this.
  6. Jammy 07

Same as you I'm looking forward to seeing Dan James playing with Phillips and Bamford in the team and hopefully at some point, a new No' 8 as well. Where exactly Bielsa chooses to fit him in will be interesting but he certainly looks best on the left from what we've seen so far. Also Firpo seemed to enjoy having DJ in front of him as well as he could place a ball into the space behind or out wide and James's pace would make it into a good pass.

7. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Beats rodrigo every game. Fast as hell and tracks back to help cover. Often stops a counter attack but just needs shooting practise. Happy enough with him on the wing but not worth the fee.

Jammy 07 and Marcos Barber like this.
  8. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

I’ve no problem with Dan James whatsoever, his work rate and speed is exactly what we need just a pity he has not been part of a settled team since he arrived.
    Is he worth the reported 25mill fee only time will tell but let’s remember the fee was not negotiated by him it was between Leeds and scumbags so let’s not hold him personally responsible

9. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

All the above. Needs to look up more in the final third. Lots of players don't do this and lots have corrected it.

10. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Surprised by this was expecting a 50:50 split on him from the comments read on him since he joined.

I guess the problem is living up to the price tag… and the feeling that you expect a complete player for that money.

when we signed him I was Luke warm at the money, and like emu felt we needed a midfielder more. I guess that feeling’s been exaggerated by fate as we’ve had no real injury issues with our wingers… where elsewhere we’ve dropped like flies.

I expected a very quick and willing runner with disappointing end product. So I feel we got what was on the brochure, but Like others I’ve been really impressed with his work rate. His touch is generally good. Against that his Finishing has been poor, and his crossing and decision making in final third both need improvement. I’d like to see him take on defenders a little more on occasion.

Obviously would hope to see him get more game time in his preferred position in future.

But In general I like him. Take the price tag and expectation away and he’s been one of our better players this season.

NostradEmus likes this.

11. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Workhorse and team player just needs to play in his position.

ristac likes this.
  12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You can’t teach pace and you’re either a grafter or you’re not. He has pace, he’s a grafter, he has tons of stamina, he can tackle and he has a great attitude. The rest he is lacking but that should be easier to teach, I just hope Bielsa can teach him the rest to make him a great player.

I would however prefer him to be playing out on the left wing. He’s problem is we’re screaming out for a central midfield player so the question of is he a “waste of money” really means should we have used the cash on a CM or another striker rather than waste his talent playing as a loan front man.

13. Jammy 07

Regarding should the money have been spent elsewhere it’s a difficult one to answer but the fact is we managed to acquire a player long coveted by our head coach.

We took the opportunity that presented itself and my thinking is that it was definitely the right thing to do.

Yes the midfield needs investment and it’s long overdue however it’s impossible for us, as fans, to know if any of our top targets were actually gettable last summer.

For example we would probably have liked to have signed Conor Gallagher but he wasn’t available, or maybe he was, who knows. What we do know is he declined to sign on loan and so we moved on.

Guess what I’m saying is we’re in the process of building a young exciting team and I’m convinced the key signings will come, just not necessarily in the right order that’s all. Football and player movement is a complicated business unless of course you have billionaire owners which clearly we do not.

14. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

I blame OGS, he took a raw talent and moulded him into what he is, now he has to be reprogrammed but will be a good player once this process is complete

Makemstine Roger and stonkin like this.
  15. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

According to that 100% accurate database, wiki, we do infact have billionaire owners,

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 6.17.36 pm.png

They must have really deep pockets.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. Jammy 07

18 games played now for superstar DJ and it seems he's on his way to legend status already.

As mentioned in the original post I've not seen anyone work as hard for the cause since Strachan.

Makemstine Roger and Irishshako like this.
  17. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Legend? You OK?

18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Can't see DJ having a statue or stand named after him!.........to much :emoticon-0167-beer:

19. Jammy 07

The clue was " on his way ".

Dan James will achieve legendary status in the fullness of time and we have many club legends who actually won **** all but that doesn't detract from their contribution to the club.

20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

can we squeeze a statue for DJ in next to the one we'll be erecting for Andy Hughes?

NostradEmus likes this.