1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Danny ****ing Drinkwater

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Bodinki, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

**** signing
    Too much money

Not impressed!

I have never seen anything about that guy that impresses me even slightly.
    Yeah he won the league in a midfield alongside Kante, but they also won the league with a CB pairing of Robert Huth and Wes Morgan.
    Like Liverpool with Suarez in 2014, the skills of Mahrez, Kante and Vardy raised everyones game at that club.
    That's about all I have to say really, except I hope he proves me wrong.

luvgonzo likes this.
  2. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side, at least it's just Drinkwater. We almost had Chamberlain and Barkley as well <doh>

BobbyD, StanDMan and Bodinki like this.
  3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Why did we sell Chalobah, just to sign Danny ****ing Drinkwater.
    If Drinkwater is Matic's replacement, i'd have rather kept Chalobah, he looked very promising and would have cost us nothing.

DferPolarBear likes this.
  4. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Bakayoko is surely Matic's replacement. Drinkwater is to fill out the squad with an experienced pro who will come in and do a solid job when required.

Forget the money, Neymar and Demebele signings have ruined value in the transfer market forever.

I think it's a decent signing myself.

StanDMan, DferPolarBear and Blueman like this.
  5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I am not fussed so much about the money to be honest.
    I just dont rate Danny ****ing Drinkwater.....in the slightest.
    He doesnt score (13 goals in 200 games), he doesnt create (12 assists in 200 games), his passing is average (approx 75% pass completion rate last season) , he doesn't have pace, infact his stats are near identical to Chalobah, who is a player we already had, who is younger and could have improved.

This is a **** signing whichever way you look at it......again, I hope he bucks up and proves me wrong, but this is as lame and mediocre a signing as they come.

6. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Infact the guy Leicester just signed to replace Drinkwater, Adrien Silva, looks better and he was cheaper.
    Statistically he pisses all over Drinkwater. (albeit in the Portugese league)

7. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I get what you are saying but sometimes stats don't tell the whole picture - though his tackling stats are very good. Being able to put him along side Kante must be a factor. Those 2 were amazing in the title winning side and together made a mid 2 look like a mid 3.

So what we have is probably someone who is a better enforcer than fabregas but not as good a passer or goal threat. Stan will be happy ;)

Chalobah has potential but has never really set the world alight on any of his loan moves and the manager got to see him up close all last year and clearly doesn't rate him enough. It's hard to basically keep a kid that needs games when he's only going to play league cup or if we get a lot of injuries. Not fair to hold back his progression. I suspect in 3-4 years time he'll still be playing for mid to low p.l clubs and we wont give it a second thought. Sooo many false dawns with youth players.

8. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

Chalobah was just one of the many you sign young and move on for a profit. Drinkwater is proven and will be an asset in a season where you have a lot of games coming up. Great transfer for both clubs.

Blueman and StanDMan like this.
  9. chelsea - over 100 years of history

What can we expect from him? As you probably see him every week.

10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

As was DFD at United.

11. chelsea - over 100 years of history

As were KDB and Matic (first time) at Chelsea ;)

12. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Conte obviously felt guilty over the peanuts you paid for Kante last season.

You may be ok as he should be on his "good season" this year, his form goes up and down on a season by season basis. His last 2 good seasons have seen us win the Championship and the Prem, so thank you Drinky <ok>

StanDMan likes this.
  13. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I am in the same camp as Bodinki, I see no point buying average players to fill out the squad when we already have average youngsters who might improve. Better to keep the money and buy great players. Drinkwater seems a good honest pro who may well do a job in certain games, but my reaction is "so what ?" What we need DESPERATELY and have done since Lampard retired, is a midfielder to drive the team forward, a player who scores goals, sets up others, has a bit of grunt to his play and above all who improves the teams' performance. Ballack did that,and Essien when fit , hopefully the Monaco kid looks likely as well.
    We have screwed up our midfield monumentally for some time by getting in half the equation ( Kante ) but not the other half. Modric would have been good, Pogba I suspect will be enormous this season. Drink water ?? Who knows?

14. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I side more with KiwiFox than AussieCP.

Danny is a good acquistion.

15. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

From a non-bitter Leicester fan, take it from me that he is an absolute asset. Every club has great players that come along every now and then that go under the radar and you hope don't get noticed and that's exactly what's happened here. I've never seen a player control the midfield better than him in a Leicester shirt and his pass completion is ridiculous, keeps everything ticking constantly. Whilst he isn't your Fabregas of passing, he is still creative and got a great range of passing both long and short.

What you are also getting is one of the fittest players I've ever seen. The workrate he puts in is similar to that of Kante, hence why they worked so well. What you've bought is a player whose partnership is so outstanding with Kante. We always said in our title season that it was simple - you play Kante and Drinkwater and you simply win the midfield battle and then it's left to the others to score the goals.

I fully expect him to start and think you'll all be very very pleasantly suprised.

StanDMan and Blueman like this.
  16. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Bodinki having a meltdown? <laugh>

17. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This. DM position is to protect the Defense. Which am sure Danny can do well.
    Top 4 looks more likely.

18. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

He's not a straight up DM but more box to box. You have to let him roam but I think you'll all warm to him quickly

19. DferPolarBear

DferPolarBear Well-Known Member

I won't judge before I see the results. Expectation for me is the team win matches not for individual players to become greats. Fine if they do, but not needed by me.

StanDMan likes this.
  20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Agree with bod and pensioner. I'm expecting this to be a **** buy. Suspect he will not get much gametime but hope he proves me wrong if he plays