1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

David Moyes, the Squad and the future

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Feb 26, 2014.

?

Do you want David Moyes as Manager

Poll closed Mar 1, 2014.
  1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

20.0%
  3. Jury still out

22.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Bit of a landmark match last night, I fully, truthfully, expected us to go to Olympiakos with attacking intent and genuinely believed that we would probably reach the CL semi's, depending on the quarter final draw.

Then I saw the team. Experienced is the best description I thought when it was announced, which was putting a positive spin on it.

Look at the team that was selected though. Of the eleven sent out, only five should be anywhere near the United SQUAD next season;

De Gea as goalkeeper, Rooney as centre forward and captain, RVP as centre forward in probably his last season as first choice, Carrick as reserve centre mind, Smalling as reserve right back, not good enough to ever be considered a top quality centre half. He just isn't.

The rest should not be within a hundred miles of a Manchester United shirt next season.

There are of course alternatives who Moyes could have picked if he weren't so ridiculously negative and bereft of ideas (some are injured), those being;

Jones, Evans, Rafael, Fellaini, Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, Nani and Welbeck I'd say those are the remaining players in the squad good enough to stay and play for a place in the team. The rest are not and should leave.

So, this is the size and enormity of what lies ahead for the next manager and for the future of the club, it will take a long time to sort this out and it's perfectly clear now that Moyes is NOT the man to do it and is not up to the task.

I make no apologies for supporting the bloke as that's really what supporters should do but have now run out of any patience I had as he hasn't got a ****ing clue how Manchester United should play. Even the mighty Shwan has turned!

So, by my reckoning, this summer we need a centre half, a centre mid, a striker and a left back as the absolute bare minimum for the next window. That's 150-200 million worth of players.

We also need two wingers and a right back but they might have to wait for the following summer.

I don't want to apportion blame for the state of the squad except to say I absolve Ferguson and I absolve Moyes, it's the ****ing Glazers' fault!

So, who do you want a next manager? Who do you want at centre half? Who's fault it all this mess?

Discuss here, let's keep it to one thread so it isn't all over the shop.

2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

A centre half, centre Mid, Striker and left back coming to £200m!
    You are gonna buy 4 players for £50m each? That wont happen Chief!
    If you sold the dross in your squad you would probably make 30m, if the Glazers could round that up to 100m, that should be ample.
    I cannot see them allowing a spree like that.

3. KingEric07.

KingEric07. cape wearing twat

I don't think the players are playing for Moyes at all, either because they can't or they won't - probably a mixture of both.

You only need to look at the defending last night when that midfielder ran from the half way line all the way through the centre of Uniteds midfield and defence until he was stopped by a last ditch Vidic tackle.

Where was the central midfield ?, where were the ****ing central defenders ? and what the f*** was Evra doing still stood so far over to the left ? The bloke has no idea of postional sense when the other team is attacking down our right. It Sunday league positional defending to be honest and for that reason Evra can f*** off too.

Cleverely isn't good enough to be mentioned in the same breathe as Sunday League football. The fact he's playing for England is an absolute joke and only feeds the flames and justifys the comments that 'X wouldn't play for England if he didn't play for United'.

Valencia, have you ever seen a winger who is so consistantly **** at crossing ? His delivery is constantly dog ****.

RVP seems to have a bad attitude recently so he can lick my nut suck.

Thanks

KE07

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

They've got to spend it. Otherwise we're not getting back into the top four anytime soon.

I did say 150-200 million, that's a fair window, but if you consider that the striker and centre mid would be more than likely fifty million each at today's going rates then the budget to buy these players has to be substantial. If they don't give the new manager (hopefully) the money then we end up with players like Smalling, potential who may or may not come good. In Smalling's case he hasn't.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I should add I didn't take into consideration any of the up and coming players and players out on loan. Of those out on loan Zaha and Powell should be brought back next season and Anderson can go a **** himself somewhere.

6. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Seems a big outlay. Left back (say Shaw) would cost about 20 million. Centre half, decent one about 30. Then you need a top level central midfielder. Alonso, Isco and Modric when they moved to Real cost around 35 million each so that sort of level should help you. There's no way you need a striker this coming year. You have RVP and Rooney plus good back up. If RVP is out Rooney plays at 9 and then you use one of the 5 back up no 10's.

So that's an outlay of around 90 million of which you should recoup some from sales. 3 key signings and a change of manager and you'll be back amongst it.

7. CFC: Champs £launderx17

The squad is not that bad. There is no need to panic and spend £200m.

You could sell some players and spend £50m on top.

You need coherent tactics, a strategy, and planned team building. A decent manager would not need too much money to achieve this with the world class players you already have at your disposal.

8. KingEric07.

One of Moyes biggest problems is that he's trying to play defensively without seemingly realising that our defenders / defensive players are gash. It's never been more apt to say that our best form of defence is attack.

Rio, Vidic and Evra are all best their best and Smallings best isn't good enough. Why the hell would any team decide to sit back and defend with THAT defence ?

If Moyes can't see that then we have no hope whatsoever.

9. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

We could buy Ronaldo and Moyes would still have him play sideways. Nobody will want to sign for us if this carries on, agents and players pick up on the dressing-room mutterings and the rumours and the discontent will only get worse. All we will end up buying are mercenaries simply coming for the big cash on offer.

Until we get rid of Moyes and stabilise the slide we won't be attracting any real talent. So start at the top and work dow. We need a short term solution - Hiddink or someone of stature until we can get Klopp for next season. Only then will we get some decent players showing any interest.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I think we do need a centre forward though. No point quibbling about the budget, I did just throw in a ball park figure, but that alone adds in the region of 40 million. I think Hernandez has reached the end of the road, maybe a new manage would inject some impetus though, so he could maybe leave, RVP is reaching the end of his career as a top centre forward and Welbeck only serves a purpose as resident headless chicken.

11. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

All the players don't go bad overnight unless something has changed.
    The change is the manager, he is not up to it, he has to go now (end of season)

12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Playing 4-4-2 with 2 out & out wingers when you've got a donkey like Cleverley in CM, along side the now increasingly immobile Carrick was suicide, when you know your opponents are going to play with 3 in CM.

The United squad needs major surgery this summer, however, there's still more than enough quality in that squad to go to Greece & get some form of result.

If he'd have set you up in a 4-2-3-1, with 2 holding mids, of Fellaini & Carrick, with an advanced 3 of Young, Rooney & Wellbeck, with RvP up front, I think you'd have kept the ball much better & your back 4 would have been far less exposed.

For me he's still trying to persist with Ferguson's set up, when it's patently obvious that he's not currently got the personnel to be successful using it. He needs to change it now, or he's a dead man walking - even now it might be too late, as I can't see him surviving if you don't turn the tie around at OT.

13. As much as I don't like him, Evra is not one of the problem players!

14. glazerfodder

Without all of the ifs and buts about the realities of getting a new manager, who it might be etc , etc,.....right now, at this moment do you want David Moyes as manager ?

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You've clearly not been watching.

I'll leave it at that, although I will say 'problem' is the incorrect terminology so in that respect you're right, he's not a problem.

He does, however, need to be replaced. Obviously.

16. glazerfodder

He was one of the very few who at least showed some spirit last night

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No real need for the additional thread so merged, now it has a poll too. Yay!

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I voted no.

<ok>

19. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

Also Smalling even as a reserve RB wont fly. He was the worst of a bad bunch last night. The only 2 starters i'd abslove form a serious arse-kicking were the keeper (no chance on either goal) and Evra who put a shift in.

As for Absolving Moyes. WTF!!!! He picked the team including:
    The well past it Rio (sad to see, as at his peak was one the best in the world)
    Smalling who is a liability at RB (so flat footed and gets dragged out position so easily)
    2 out of form wingers
    Cleverly (just plain ****e, how the **** he is a UTD player, ive no idea.)
    And chose the tatics
    And waiting far too long to change them.

He was a very good manager at Everton given the constraints of that Job, but he is patently not up to the task of managing Utd and the longer he stays the more damage will be done.

20. KingEric07.

Yes he is.

Going forward he's quality. Even defending on when the ball is coming down his side he's still very good. However his positioning when the ball is coming down our right is awful and inexcusable imo.