1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

defenders should be first targets always

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by leez, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, is that an insult to Juan as an individual or merely to his facial hair ?

2. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

I lost my temper slightly im just tired of dealing with people quite frankly..... I never said i expected any particular player just that type.

3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Shat your nappy after one post. You didn't answer the question so I'm gonna presume you haven't got a ****ing clue who you'd put in there.

Your club has been in the **** since your owner took over really, yet you fascinate yourself by claiming you're always right - it's the equivalent of an African banana picker consistently predicting he'll never be rich.

I won't start getting personal like you, it's playground stuff, try talking football if you're so well versed.

Welshie likes this.
  4. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

Jordi Clasie would've been handy ball player.
    I thought we were after more Britishness in the team so Hughes would be nice.
    I must admit to not knowing what the double 6 system is

5. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Listen if you had the brains you were born with you would know what im saying.

Its you bringing up entirely seperate arguments out of nowhere.

I apologise i snapped, however im tired of dealing with people not qualified to boil an egg

6. Tel (they/them)

I guess it doesn't matter then, I was only asking a question. Lesson learnt <ok>

7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty simple. The type of player he wants is very rare and tend to be very expensive. You only wanted to know who he had in mind.

8. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Me too i snapped with quite clearly a sound individual. Peace.

9. Tel (they/them)

To be fair to you mate, I did chuck the Pirlo dig in there. It's fine though only pulling your leg.

Not every successful team has one by the way, City certainly don't. They have a marauding Yaya Toure as their lynchpin.

Chelsea have creation but not so much static and controlling, it's more of a rotation.

The type of player you yearn for is my favourite type of player, my favourite player of all time in fact - Scholes. They're a rare breed but they're not always necessary to succeed at any level in my opinion.

My inkling is that you miss what Cabaye used to do for you and you hope that his boots get filled by a similar type player. Trouble is, as ye OP suggests your defence isn't cut out for that yet.

Last season you left huge gaps between CM and defence, players like Wijnaldum will stop that happening from day zip.

10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

If we don't get our defence sorted we are going to get some hammerings and may even dabble with the relegation spots (though I don't think we'll go down). If we get our defence sorted then I think we're mid-table candidates. We need at least 2 defenders (CB + CB or CB + LB) ideally 3.

The midfield issue is a sideshow. Yes it would be great to get a quality playmaker in the middle of the park but realistically that is likely to blow any budget we have for the aforementioned defanders we NEED. Our midfield is not is such dire straights (Cabella - Colback - Tiote - Wijnaldum - Sissoko) and has some below par but at least available replacements (Abeid - Gouffran - Obertan - Anita) and I haven't mentioned De Jong (who if fit may actually be good!). Try doing the same process with our defence and you run out of names pretty quickly.

11. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You are right though- a number of us have been saying for some time that we would love to see a deep lying midfielder who can spray the ball around (a la cabaye) but as Typical Juan says they are becoming a bit of a rarity. They have to be good enough to make time for themselves as they are closed down so quickly now. There is no better sight in football than someone winning the ball looking up and hitting a long diagonal pass or a ball over the top. Trying to think of someone in PL who can do this. Palace have Cabaye. I am sure Rooney will eventually slip back into a role like that as he is one of the best long passers in the league and conversely one of the worst short passers.

12. leez

leez Well-Known Member

attacking wise i think 2 fast tricky wingers in more important who can cross well ... than l a goalscoring creative cm player ...but defence has to be key ..for once nufc have to get this sorted ..if it were me i would get rid of the injury prone taylor .colo is finshed and doesnt care anyway ..williamson just aint good enough ..these fookas werent good enough 3 years years ago so what chance are they going to stand this season

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  13. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree defensive strengthening is a must but to be honest doesnt bother me what order they come in. Its not my money so expect them to fill all positions needed.

14. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Agreed but it is getting worrying that the only one we've been linked with is Mbemba. Fair enough he has plenty of experience at 53 yr old but one is not enough. I'm sure we'll add him and Dragovic this week. And Mitrovic. And Austin.

15. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Get your 5 a day mate

16. Warmir Pouchov

I am MrT don't worry about that. All I eat is protein and veg at present.

17. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

I have become fairly certain over the last couple of weeks that Lascelles will be one of our Starting CB's along with a new guy we bring in (probably Mbemba). If we get any offers for any of the other 3 I think we'll take the cash and run.

This will leave us with a very young CB pairing but on the plus side they will have more pace and power to make up for mistakes.

18. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

That would be crap. Lascelles didn't look brilliant in the Championship last season. No way should we be deciding he'll do for a starter. Mbemba + 1 other from those linked - Matip, Abdennour, Veltman, Rudiger etc is a must.

Pulp likes this.
  19. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

Whilst I'd would also prefer that we get another in, I don't think starting Lascelles would be as bad as you make out. There were a lot of calls last season to give some of our younger players a chance to play and learn. With good coaching he can become a very good CB, but he needs both a decent coach (which I think We've got now) and experience at the PL level.

20. Warmir Pouchov

I think Lascelles and Mbemba would be suicide personally. I think we need a rugged nasty bastard who can play a bit. They need to be 24yr old plus. you win nowt with kids...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.