1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do we sign Theo?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Toss saints, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

This was a no brainer one month ago. However, form has dropped, finishing suspect. I would imagine wages high.

Don't get me wrong, I was at St Mary's when he curled on in from the left flank from about 30 yrds in 2005. ,Just seems he was irrelevant in the last couple of gsm

2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When you're without a club, in your 30s, and football finances are tight due the pandemic, you don't really hold many cards in terms of seeking out a big pay packet.

Well, not unless you're happy to accept retirement as an alternative.

(For what it's worth, I think he will stay. On massively reduced terms than he's on with Everton.)

3. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

But, would that be a good signing. I am now on the fence. Two months ago I would have dId great signing. Come on bouy me up, it's Theo

4. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to wages. He hasnt been amazing over the past month but then again, not many of the squad have actually impressed in this poor run of results.

When the team was playing well, so was he. If we don't sign him then we will have to buy a replacement anyway - so long as his contract demands in terms of both wages and length are reasonable I think he would be a good player to have in the squad.

5. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Right, lets assume that we have some spending money and players want to come here, in that scenario, for me, its a no, we don't.

I think he has been a huge help this season as a hard working body on the pitch. He's given the team a lift and the team has been better with him than if we hadn't signed him. He adapted very well and looked hungry at the start...

BUT

We aren't going to win enough games with just hard working bodies on the pitch. I have wanted to see the back of Long for years for this reason. We also have Redmond who is the most frustrating player I've ever seen because he shows just flashes of brilliance but most of the time he merely blusters. Walcott looks to be of a similar ilk.

We need to be signing the Maddisons or Bowens. We need players in that position who are going to create, to open up space, who can shoot from range or are composed in front of goal. Walcott hasn't shown any of this, plus hes been prone to giving the ball away easily and his first touch isn't the best. To me, he's been a 6/10 this season.

Further, at his age, I think if we sign him he will slack off and quickly disappear to the bench.

However, if we can't sign new players, if the best we can do is work hard to stay afloat as we are doing at the moment.. well I would re-think my position.

6. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

If we can get him on the cheap I think we should, there have been patches of the season where he has been right up there as one of our best players and he brings some much needed experience to a young side as well. It is also a good fit because he isn't likely to get this game time anywhere else further up the league.

He has also formed an excellent partnership on the right with KWP when they both play on the same side, which could last another couple of years.

If Everton play silly buggers it could scupper things though.

7. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

He’ll be a free transfer almost certainly so it all comes down to wages. Personally I wouldn’t sign him based on ability but if he is willing to come on reasonable wages then it’s a bit of a no brainier to keep him.

I think he’ll end up somewhere else as he is still a bit of a “name” player so I’m sure another team would offer him more than we should/would

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Yes we do, for me.

His contribution to the way we play is spot on.

If we start not wanting players because they’re not perfect all the time, we better all give up now because we will never be satisfied.

Fans are a funny bunch. I still can’t believe I was reading questions about Danny last night. Nuts.

9. fatletiss

Does he fit the way we play?.......YES
    Does he possess the attributes needed?.... YES
    Does he work hard? ..... YES
    Do we have a great coach who gets the best from players? .... YES

Theo isn’t one of the best players in the league but he is a good player. He has some poor touches and decision making but overall he contributes well. If as fans we are expecting to be signing top class “finished articles” we need to look at our expectation levels and the size of the club we have chosen to support.

Theo would make good sense of financially it makes sense, unless Ralph has a kid ready to be better than Theo before the season end.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Nothing to do with Everton.

fatletiss likes this.

11. fatletiss

The team have played well for most games during this poor run of results. I don’t understand football fans.

We have an issue scoring goals at the moment, but that doesn’t mean the team aren’t playing well. 18 months ago we were a team for three seasons that looked like it was made of paper and would fold easily. We were poor and just lost games easily for fun. Today we are a team that all opponents don’t like playing. We are a very, very good team, especially when you consider our resources in the squad and our financial plight.

I have watched all those games and see a side I am proud of and listen to my mates calling me and saying they wish their team played like we do and how proud I must be of my team. Yet our own fans seem to think we are poor. I believe it is just because the stats aren’t good. That’s where football has got us. Stats.

One win in 7 doesn’t look good. Three defeats in a row doesn’t sound good. It’s a poor run of results, I agree. However it is not a run of poor performances. Take yesterday, Roy Keane couldn’t put into words how Saints must be feeling at the end of that game. We played well. We didn’t create a goal scoring chance every two minutes, but we are not the best team in the league. We created enough to win the game but sadly the ball didn’t go in. For me the man of the match was their keeper.

I wish fans could distinguish between poor results and poor performances.

Rant over. For now.

I’m going to head off now and research our history and find the time when we were the best team in the land and dominated English football by being the team everyone else had to beat to win something. I’ll also check out the other clubs like that too. Then maybe I’ll understand more.

12. Shandy_top_89

Thought he had 1 season left on his contract. Is he going free at the end of this season?

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yep out of contract.

Shandy_top_89 likes this.
  14. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Ralph obviously values him as he has started virtually every match and has been better than Redders and Djenepo for the most part. Still a lot of time left on the loan to make a decision yet but unless we sign someone else I can see us signing him if he accepts reduced wages.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  15. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Dont get me started on Djeneppo.

I so badly want him to do well, and beat his man, but **** me I get so frustrated with him. He has so much ymtakent and cant be using more than 20% of it.

Currently I'd rather we played Carillo and stuck him on the wing...

16. Shandy_top_89

Now, now, lets not go too far <laugh>.

Djenepo is a typical Saints post-Koeman winger/attacking midfielder, never fully breaks into the first team and when he plays is either completely sensational or absolutely **** with no inbetween.

The only exceptions are Redmond (who is a slightly more successful version of what I described), Armstrong and Walcott.

Now lets never mention Carillo again.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  17. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Yeah ok, enough with the Carrillo's.

Although I've yet to see a sensational game from Djeneppo, only a few limited flashes of ability.

Anyhow, I'm not knocking him, I'm pleased we have a fit player just now.

18. Shandy_top_89

Yeah I feel the same with Redmond at the mo, he hasn’t had a great season and wouldn’t be making the first XI because Armstrong and Walcott have been massively outplaying him, but I am really glad he is back in the fold right now.

19. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Hmm, not sure about this. Considering all I actually said was that we have not played as well recently as at the start of the season (and that this will naturally effect Theo's performances) - I never said we have been crap.

I think we have clearly, as a team, not played as well during this run of poor results. Mainly because of the size of our squad - we have played a lot of games in a short period of time and also picked up injuries to almost all of our top performers this year.

I agree that we haven't necessarily been really poor - and I never said we had been - but we have obviously not been playing as well without Romeu, Ings, Vestergaard, Redmond, McCarthy, KWP & Betrand all injured/missing at various points in this run.

Of course we have played reasonably well when taking into account the injuries we have had - but do you honestly think we have played as well with all the above players missing as when they were playing?

20. Cowtownred

Cowtownred Well-Known Member

Perhaps Djeneppo doesnt want to sign for Liverpool? Lol
    Let's face it, if he does get his s**t together and turns into the player we all hope for, Anfield will be his next destination! Lol

Negative Creep likes this.