1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Down Memory Lane (Part 11). The Cesarewitch- A Personal Memory | Horse Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Tamerlo, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Saturday sees the renewal of one of our oldest handicaps, the Newmarket Cesarewitch-first run in 1839.
    The race is unique in that it starts in one county (Cambridgeshire) and finishes in another (Suffolk); and that it only has one bend- after 10 furlongs.
    Over the years, there have been some great weight-carrying performances, notably by Grey of Falloden setting the record when carrying 9st 6lbs in 1964- a feat bettered by John Cherry and Lester Piggott when they hacked up under 9st 13 lbs in 1976.
    Other horses to win with huge weights include Melbourne Cup winner, Vintage Crop, Centurion, Double Dutch, Captain's Guest, and more recently, Aim To Prosper.

However, ironically, the race I recall the most goes back over fifty years to 1962.
    That year a young 5 lbs claiming apprentice jockey, David Flapper Yates , was making a name for himself and would become Champion Apprentice the following year.
    Apprenticed to Lambourn trainer, Doug Marks- who had the rare distinction of winning two Classics as an apprentice (1000 Guineas and Oaks on Godiva in 1940)- Yates had already won the Chester Cup and Goodwood Stakes on that trainer's redoubtable front running stayer, Golden Fire.
    When the horse lined up for The Cesarewitch, his trainer fancied him strongly at the huge price of 28/1.
    Pitted against him was John Benstead's classy stayer, Orchardist, who would later win the Queen's Prize at Kempton and develop into a Pattern winner, not to mention a successful spell over hurdles later on.
    At that time, Benstead always tried to secure the services of crack Australian jockey, Scobie Breasley, and Scobie had ridden the horse when he hacked up in a good handicap at Kempton.
    Being a great Scobie Breasley fan, I asked my dad to put me five bob each way on the horse at his ante-post price of 25/1. My dad forgot and I ended up not having a bet in the race.
    Looking back, bookies' prices seemed more generous in those days- I couldn't imagine Orchardist and Golden Fire starting at 25/1 and 28/1 respectively, nowadays, given their proven top form .
    As it turned out, the race provided me with bitter sweet emotions.
    Just a few days before the off, Scobie decided to desert Orchardist in favour of the favourite and Irish St Leger winner, Arctic Vale, trained by Paddy Prendergast.
    That decided it for me. My money stayed in my pocket.
    To say that the race itself was dramatic is a huge understatement...
    As usual, David Yates took Golden Fire to the front and attempted to make all.
    As I remember, the horse had a rounded, rolling action, but he never weakened in his races; he just maintained the same, resolute gallop.
    As they came inside the last two furlongs, both Orchardist ( now ridden by Bill Williamson) and Arctic Vale made their moves.
    Orchardist was palpably going the better of those two and he joined Golden Fire as they came out of the dip.
    Orchardist seemed to lean on Golden Fire as they came together and, in a stirring finish, Orchardist prevailed by a neck- with Arctic Vale in third.
    As David Yates returned to the weighing room, he told his trainer, Doug Marks, that he intended to object.
    Marks thought he was crazy (objections were rare and usually unsuccessful) but Yates proceeded to borrow £20.00 from Lester Piggott- a necessary fee at the time. 'Lester made sure he got it back quickly,' quipped Yates afterwards.
    The final outcome is history.
    Sensationally the result was overturned and Golden Fire returned the winner.
    Personally, I feel the better horse lost the race and I cursed Scobie for deserting Orchardist. I'm sure he would have won and avoided trouble, if he'd ridden him.
    Yet that's racing......only if!
    Any other member remember the race- or wish to share other memories?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Handicaps were so much more important then. No-one today would consider running an Irish St. Leger winner a month later in a 18f handicap, and in fact by the end of the '60s it had changed a great deal. Great story and belies the often stated meanness of Lester.
    Grey of Falloden won 4 races the year he won it, including the Doncaster Cup, and he beat Ryan Price's Magic Court giving him 16lb. There is a nice story of what happened after the race. Hern was in his second season at West Ilsley and GoF's owner, Lord Astor (of Christine Keeler fame), asked a top equine artist to produce a large painting for him of the finish of the 1964 race. Once ready they assembled at West Ilsley and the artist brought in a painting which they admired. Astor then asked the artist to bring in another painting that was a slightly different angle to the first. Astor then asked Hern which one he preferred and when Hern said he preferred one, Astor said 'well that's yours then'. A year later Hern trained the Irish Leger winner for him (Craighouse), but sadly about 6 weeks later Astor died of a heart attack. One of the great studs was dismembered.
    Last time I was there in the flesh I didn't like the favoured horses and decided to back Henderson's charge, misread the card and thought I was backing a 5yo. I then felt a real mug as I realised I'd backed an 11yo!! I couldn't believe it when Ahern delivered Caracciola to win the race. For a time he was my favourite trainer.

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Nice article Tam <applause>

Not a race I usually have a dabble in as it is so bally difficult to solve. I do remember Nomadic Way winning it for Barry Hills many years ago, I think I may even have backed that one.

The race gets a mention in one of the Flashman books (forget which one) where our hero mentions backing the winner at 100/6. I think Bertie Wooster may have mentioned it as well.

I find the race an intriguing, if somewhat surreal, spectacle to watch - they just seem to keep going straight forever and then the field often takes the bend like a collective group of 2YOs on debut. I love it when someone makes a bold bid for glory from about 3 out and waiting to see if he will get reeled in or not.

4. Tamerlo

Good morning, Bustino.
    "Grey of Falloden won 4 races the year he won it, including the Doncaster Cup, and he beat Ryan Price's Magic Court giving him 16lb."
    Don't you mean Major Rose, as opposed to Magic Court?
    Quite an achievement to give a horse the quality of Major Rose 16lbs- the latter a Ces winner himself.

5. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

You may be right Tamerlo, but I thought Major Rose won the race as a 6yo in 1968. He can't have run in the race as a 2yo. I'm probably wrong about Ryan Price as Robson trained Magic Court

6. Tamerlo

Bustino, yes, GOF couldn't have beaten Major Rose in 1964- as you say. MR was a six year old in 1968.