1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dr Strangelove (how I learned to stop worrying and love Boris)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Deletion Requested1, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

2. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

There is plenty of Labour bad news around. You just have to look harder for it. At the moment the press are focussed on the conservatives. Seems regularly I read about Labour candidates being blocked from standing, or allegations of bullying, but I have to go beyond the front pages and headlines to find it. Once Labour are in power the boot will be on the other foot I suspect in the media, but not from the die hard Labour supporters. Plenty die hard conservatives doing the same now, seeing only what they want to see.

I do sense a slight shift in the media toward scrutinising Labour and Starmer. It seems inevitable they win power, and even Rachel Brooks etc are likely to accept it. What is now worth watching is the focus on Labour policy and the media are starting to do that. Interesting to see so much doubt about Starmers ability or will to deliver on the Lords scrapping. The media know he is howling at the moon on that and are calling him on it, opinion writers at least. Hiding behind Gordon Brown wont last either. I think he has a fine line to tread now, to keep the media largely on side. They wont return to conservative support anytime soon, but he is in the spotlight a bit more.

3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Starmer is a real damp squib, the sooner he's is gone the better , and said so the minute he was appointed. Labour need to get rid and appoint a Nandy or a Long Bailey asp.

4. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Christ, what a choice there. Four years of Magic Grandpa saw the loss of most of the talent in the party - chased out for not being ideologically zealous enough as the lunatic fringe settled imagined grudges. They've lost a generation of potential leaders and all that's left is those not clever enough to get a proper job. They can make their gobs go but nothing of substance comes out.

5. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

What they would do for a Tony Benn now, someone who could tell them exactly why we should be out the of EU

6. FellTop

I was having a debate/argument recently with a mate in the pub about this topic. He thinks Starmer is the best person to be next PM. I would take Nandy over Starmer right now.

clockstander and Montysoptician like this.
  7. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

It's cos they're in power mate, simple as that.

Have been for twelve years.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    DH4, Montysoptician and clockstander like this.
  8. clockstander

The only thing that is obvious to me is that the present two horse race, provides little choice and is not fit for purpose.

9. clockstander

You might be spot on there, those lunatics are still in charge, of both parties.

The Exile II and FellTop like this.
  10. FellTop

Aye, I know. It is always that way. Like I say Starmer and co will get the treatment once they are at the top table. Just a shame we dont have a more balanced and intelligent media in my opinion. They could actually be a force for good and for change, but they arent really fit for purpose. A bit like politicians, they are becoming less capable with each new intake it seems.

clockstander and Smug in Boots like this.

11. Smug in Boots

I honestly don't think you can tell how a PM will be until they're installed.

They won't all of their party onside so won't spell things out too graphically in case it creates division.

Once they're in power they can show their hand, choose a cabinet and ditch some who've managed to help gain power.

I know people want Starmer to stand up and be clear, but that won't happen at the moment.

12. FellTop

I disagree mate. Opinions eh. He has to stand up, if he is the political reformer he wants us to believe.

I reckon I knew what Johnson would be like, and he wasnt far off what I thought. I reckon Starmer will turn out to be what I suspect too, but hope I am wrong. I think he talks big but acts small. I think he changes with the wind and I cant see that changing. I really think we need a Labour government right now, just not the bunch that sit on their front bench. Honestly think they will be prove to be hopeless. I think others have said it well, Labour doesnt seem to be capable of attracting the best candidates anymore, we are sadly lacking for it. Same can be said of the tories of course, the clever people are sat in the background waiting to get out, and they are few and far between. If the current crop situation we face, in terms of a choice of governing party, isnt a case for a massive overhaul of this system, then I doubt we ever will change. All of us suffer, whatever your political roots are.

13. The Exile II

14. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  15. Smug in Boots

Only to be shot down?

At the moment the endless Tory sleaze means he can sit at home in his underpants watching the football and drinking cans of Stella.

Blond Bombshell and DH4 like this.
  16. The Exile II

The Corbyn fiasco has many people asking difficult questions for Labour these days. 'we're not the tories' fools only those desperate to be fooled due to their blind hatred of the tories.

How about we don't replace ****e with ****e that smells slightly less awful?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. The Exile II

18. Smug in Boots

I only ever hear anyone mention Corbyn on here, some people seem capable of moving on.

DH4 likes this.
  19. The Exile II

One word.

Thatcher.

20. Smug in Boots

You're incapable of distinguishing between someone in power and someone who isn't.

Every one of your arguments are vague then you demand precise specifics from others.

Blond Bombshell and DH4 like this.