1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Effect of Brexit

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

1. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

Zen jr will not reveal to her fellow students how she voted in the election for fear of victimisation for not following the rather limited student body orthodoxy. Even pointing out Jeremy Corbyn renaging on the student loan promise seems to cut no cloth with them.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...y-corbyn-student-debts-andrew-marr-show-video
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...bt-Labour-manifesto-u-turn-TaxPayers-Alliance
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...wiping-out-student-loans-labour-jeremy-corbyn

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

This is not a case of renaging Zen. The best that parties can do is to promise to try to do something and Corbyn never went further than that.

3. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

You are peddling the official Labour post election spin. The Labour leaders knew they were over promising and kept their promises as ambiguous as possible. Clever but distasteful.

Hopefully the young have learnt from this deceitfulness and dismiss these conmen for what they are, third rate politicians as adequately described by their own MP's.

4. colognehornet

Why should I peddle the official Labour Party spin ? I don't live in the country and am a member of a German party. The truth is that no party can ever make a promise to do anything - but rather 'try' to do it. I would have thought that was obvious.

5. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Quite possibly very correct - I've never fully understood the almost obscene rush by the Tories to act upon the results of an advisory referendum, but I do think there was more to Brexit than that.

This, for example, http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/company-tax/anti-tax-avoidance-package_en - due to be implemented in January 2019 I believe. It's fairly obvious who would be most affected by a tax avoidance clamp-down - "It will help Member States take strong and coordinated action against tax avoidance and ensure that companies pay tax wherever they make their profits in the EU." That's something the Tories - and recent Labour administrations - could never countenance due to the financial impact on their major donors. Such a scenario would reduce them to the same level as those smaller parties reliant on membership numbers for their finances, as well as empower the voters to a greater degree. And of course, we can't have the Establishment sinking to those levels, can we?

6. superhorns

I thought it was obvious you don't need to live in the UK or be a member of the Labour party to parrot their post election spin. Hopefully students will see through their duplicity.

7. Bolton's Boots

Love that Fez - even though I certainly don't agree with you on it all. Maybe we should formalise something like it to show where we all stand... :)

8. colognehornet

I am afraid I do not 'parrot' anybody - that is more your speciality. I also have better things to do here than to read up on Labour post election spin every evening.

9. superhorns

Strange comments, the clampdown on multinational companies using dodgy tactics to avoid tax was instigated by Cameron and Osborne. I doubt very much if these companies are major Tory donors, I stand to be corrected. Where I heartily disagree with the political donation system is by the major house builders that have obviously seem legislation skewed in their favour, it is utterly wrong.

10. superhorns

There has been much coverage of Labour shadow cabinet members struggling to distance themselves from previous promises on student debt, they must be mightily relieved Andrew Neil is on holiday, hopefully he has these questions in his locker!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

11. superhorns

12. brb

brb CR250

13. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

14. Bolton's Boots

A bit beyond the pale even for the Express I would have thought - are their readers really this thick?

Capture.JPG

15. superhorns

The boy might not be laughing when the unions attack his reforms in the Autumn. He obviously lacks the support when the going gets tougher. All recent French Presidents have folded to pressure so far, maybe the population are sophisticated enough to support him but somehow I doubt it.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Are you one of those actually believed the non-story? :emoticon-0104-surpr

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Mark Carney is asked if Brexit had ALREADY damaged economy.
    In short: Yes. "Investment weaker, businesses nervier"… “consequences starting to build”

18. superhorns

Mark Carney was part of project fear and has already had to apologise for incorrect doom mongering. There will obviously be consequences due to the uncertainty, this is fully expected by all.

19. superhorns

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator