1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England v Colombia last 16 tie

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Jul 2, 2018.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They also wrecked the wrong penalty spot.

Dier Hard likes this.
  2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Going to stand up for him a bit. The penalty, absolutely disgraceful. But piece of control to a long through ball was wonderful. This is one more than Lingard or Sterling managed all night. Every ball bounced off them like hitting a wall. I'd actually start him next game.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

4. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

He’s been England’s best player at the World Cup

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  5. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

As a sub, he made no impact on the game. He was supposed to provide an outlet but failed to do that miserably. I'd prefer Welbeck in a situation like that. Bigger, more physical and experienced. For me, Vardy is like a fish out of water at this World Cup and it's exposing his lack of variety and footballing nouse.

6. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. It's been the making of the lad. He's been immense in all aspects. His mental strength the one that stands out the most. Should we be surprised though? I think he's top drawer.

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

8. NotSoMightyEastbourneBoro

Yay we won! But by god we were completely clueless......

As usual we started brightly with some nice controlled attacking football but decided after about 30mins of this that we would settle for penalties and spent the next 85mins passing it around our centre backs. Then with about 5mins to go in extra time realised that settling for a point in a World Cup knock-out game was not an option. That was a completely clueless, gutless and moronic performance by quite a lot of the team and Southgate's management of the team was bewildering. What the hell were they trying to achieve?!?!?!?

Pickford kept his concentration and dealt with shots when they sporadically came in. Maybe could have been braver for the goal but most would assume that as Trips was on the post then he would deal. Good strong arm to save the penalty.

Some of Stones and Walkers passing was verging on the suicidal at the back. Maguire was close to being man of the match for me purely for the way he attacked the ball and tried to get it moving forwards rather than backwards and sideways like everybody else. A bit of good-old fashioned decisive defending from him. He's impressed me so far even though he is not always that comfortable on the ball.

Trippier was MoM for me again as he was our main (only) creative outlet. Could have done better with the goal but it was at pace and 9 times out of 10 I'm sure it would have gone over the bar. Clearly affected his confidence as he looked shaky after that and struggled a bit. But redeemed himself with a cracking penalty. Young was just complete **** and should have been taken off after going down injured in the 2nd half. For God's sake drop him for the Sweden game.

Central midfield were complete woeful and offered no attacking threat or creativity whatsoever. Alli strolled around and played sideways and backwards balls all night. Can only assume he is injured as looked so out of sorts. Southgate shouldn't have played him and definitely should have taken him off at half time..... never mind drawing it out for 80 bloody minutes. Henderson was Henderson which means he did bugger all. Is he supposed to be helping to marshall the defence as the back three seemed all over the place at times trying to plug the gaps when Henderson was nowhere to be seen. Was Lingard playing?

Sterling. Just piss off.

Kane scored his customary penalty and caused them headaches for 70mins. Then looked absolutely spent seeing as he had to do pretty much everything himself from winning the ball in midfield to trying to create chances for the waste of space that was Sterling........ or himself. By the time Vardy came on it was too late as he was knackered.

Dier was as his name suggests dire. But kept his cool for the penalty so well done. Vardy, Rose and Rashford struggled to get into the game with the little time they had but we had been defending for so long by this point that it would be hard for anybody to turn it around.

But I'm too old for this **** now. Watched it down the pub which was too hot, too loud and full of morons chugging pints and hurling abuse at all and sundry (Ok, I did hurl abuse at Sterling but that's just normal). Will watch the QF at home I think as I just can't stand watching it in pubs anymore. Bah humbug!

9. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

10. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I know I was <whistle>

11. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Three impeccable penalties from the Spurs boys.
    I wonder what inspired them...................

scaletowidth.jpg

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

Great, isn't it? <party>

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  13. deedub93

All the penalty scorers were either Spurs or Spurs wannabees. Surely it's time for Rashford to put in a transfer request.

PleaseNotPoll and SpursDisciple like this.
  14. deedub93

Knockout tournaments are about results not playing pretty football, Juve taught us that.
    I'm impressed that Southgate took our penalty shootout issues seriously and actually did something about it.
    I know what you mean about pubs, although I will be in Rwanda on Saturday so not much choice.

15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you don't have £uardiola ruining you for a year...

16. "Thanks for that Brian"

But Bonzo doesn't make mistakes anymore...............Pep's fixed him and made him 'The World's Greatest Right Back' TM and all with a big happy smile on his dopey old face..............

17. NotSoMightyEastbourneBoro

Yeah, I do understand that but yesterdays result was down to luck and that is a dangerous path to walk. Sure, if we were playing Brazil or France then you have to play intelligently and stretch them, tire them out, too keep the ball as we are pants at winning it back. But we had the measure of Colombia yet seemed incapable of creating any chances if note. We should have won that in the 90mins once we went ahead but now the team has played a sapping extra 30mins that will not help. I don't mind the football not being pretty, but I'd rather go out trying to attack rather than bore the opposition and fans into a coma.

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I think you meant to say IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME, FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME...even though the next major football tournament takes place in twelve different countries, including Scotland and Azerbaijan.