1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Euros - let’s have it !

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by C19RK73, Jun 10, 2021.

1. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Dont let facts get in the way of some people mate.

2. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Well no, some of the attackers have to fill in.

3. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

No attacker has filled in as a defender for England apart from last night for 2-3 minutes.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  4. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i saw the same one, lads who made no attempt to fight back (why would they, being vastly outnumbered) yet the idiots still kicking into them...add the racist abuse on social media for young lads that are good enough to represent our country, who had the balls to stand in front of the world and take an important penalty and as a child of the 70's i really hoped we had come past all that sh1te, we still have a way to go, unfortunately.

5. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I'm sick of it now. It makes us look ****ing idiotic at this point.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  6. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

But, but we played 5 at the back Southgate is so defensive. Which is why a full back was on the edge of the Italian 6 yard box smashing home a volley. No, wait, what?

Saf likes this.
  7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Hate it!! Did you see the Italian grab the camera and say “it’s coming home” and laugh! It was almost like doing their team talk for them. And takspkrt do a “self preservation society “ take off and say “we’re gonna bring home the trophy from wemberley “ (added the syllable as they did!!)!! If I had been managing the opposition I’d have stuck the song on in the dressing room before kick off!

8. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Is hasn't come home in the thirty years that song has been out. We wheel it out every time we win at a tournament and the world ****ing laughs at us.

I adore the song, I really do. But when football is coming home, I won't need some plastic twat singing that song to let me know.

Still, better than sweet Caroline.

9. Saf

Assisted by the wing back on the other side :headbang:

The Norton Cat likes this.
  10. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Wrong

11. Sunderpitt

Not sure why we played crap 2nd half, sitting back on a one nil lead was never going to work.

As for the penalties, I presume the whole squad practiced taking them and the top 5 were chosen and put on the field to take them.

However I did notice it was the two most senior and experienced players who scored. The youngest less experienced missed. Perhaps they were affected by performance anxiety like the young British woman at Wimbledon? Something that cannot be practiced and should have been considered?

FellTop and Draig like this.
  12. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Looking at the starting eleven last night only two players could be described as attackers imo, I may be wrong but the rest all looked like midfield or defenders, the first 10 minutes were amazing and had Italy completely bamboozled and the oft criticised full backs played a major part in it . The following 80 + minutes were all over the place, the managers changes were as baffling as LJ's.as he completely lost the plot .

Pablo likes this.
  13. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member

Which bit and why am I wrong?

14. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member

Spot on Clocky.

15. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I really don't understand how people can criticise Southgate tactically. Do they not look at the evidence in front of them? He got it right against Germany and, although the opposition wasn't quite as tough, he got it right in the other knock out games. The back three/wing backs was the right way to set up for Italy, despite the fact that it was perhaps more obvious to match them in a 433, and that showed early on. But Italy went behind early and therefore had to chase the game. The opposition aren't a passive force, you have to consider that they are going to want to win the game too. They forced us back and we ended up having to sit and wait for a break. When you've been sitting like that its difficult to change the game and break the momentum. Once the equaliser was scored, we had to try and change that momentum and Southgate made changes that did just that. He knew how to change that momentum. Ergo, he's not **** tactically. The only criticism that can be levelled at him is that he didn't make those changes before the equaliser. Arguably though, when the game is that finely balanced, you don't want to do anything to upset that balance. Imagine getting to a final and still whingeing.

badgerbill, FellTop, Dorset and 2 others like this.
  16. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

17. Sunderpitt

Waking up this morning?

18. Saf

That's the football culture we have now, unfortunately.

These 'supporters' always look for a scapegoat. They want and demand success in every game, the moment a result goes against us the gloom merchants come out looking for somebody to blame. Southgate is our second most successful manager ever, he's only behind Sir Alf Ramsey and 'supporters' don't believe he's fit to manage England <doh>

He's clearly a guy who knows what is required to navigate and progress through an international tournament. His results since becoming our manager back this assessment up. People calling for him to be sacked after becoming so close to actually winning an international tournament is simply laughable.

They've made claims on here about playing so many defenders etc and then they go quiet when asked to back up their claim. Basically, they want to find faults with the set-up and won't be happy until they've done so.

badgerbill, FellTop, SAFCDRUM and 3 others like this.
  19. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why we were as flat as a fart for 75 percent of the game last night, and for long periods in six of the seven games we played.

Do you want to win tournaments or just get to semi finals? If it's option one, then hard questions need to be asked.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  20. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I can’t argue with how successful he’s been since he took over but I still don’t like the bloke, he comes across as weak as piss