1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Everton Vs Sunderland: Official Sunderland Not606 Match Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, May 8, 2015.

?

Outcome

Poll closed May 9, 2015.
  1. Everton

25.0%
  2. Sunderland

37.5%
  3. Draw

37.5%
  1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Everton Vs Sunderland
    Official Sunderland Not606 Match Thread

please log in to view this image

Goodison Park

Preview
    Relegation-threatened Sunderland knew they had to win last weekend at home to Southampton, and they did ... just.

If they are looking for omens, they won 2-1 as well at the same stage last season, which was the first of a run of four consecutive victories and sparked an escape route no-one thought possible.

But without wanting to dampen any Wearside spirits, three of their last four matches 12 months ago were at the Stadium of Light; this time they have only one home game left.

They haven't won away from home in 2015 and you feel that might have to change to be sure of safety.

I watched the Black Cats draw at Stoke in their last away game, and in stark contrast to their north-east rivals Newcastle, I witnessed enough fight and spirit to offer hope.

John O'Shea returned for the second half with a patched-up face like a beaten boxer, Lee Cattermole as ever was putting his body on the line, Connor Wickham covered every inch of the pitch.

There was a togetherness evident, which is certainly going to be required. Also, they do have players that can pop up and a produce a moment of quality, like a Defoe or a Larsson, and that could be the difference between joy and despair.

With fixtures at the Emirates and Stamford Bridge still to come, I've heard it suggested that this is Sunderland's easiest trip remaining.

However, I know there is a strong determination in the Everton squad to finish a disappointing season strongly and as high up the table as possible.

They have taken 16 points from the last 21 and are 11 unbeaten at home. I was at Goodison Park for their victory over Manchester United, where they were very organised and clinical on the break.

They'll have more of an attacking intent in this one whilst trying to keep a fifth home clean sheet in a row. Everton supporters must be wondering where their team would be if they had hit those consistent heights more often during the campaign.

Sunderland will be hoping they drop below them on another pivotal day at the bottom of the table.

Match Appointments

Team News

Everton
    Everton have no new injury worries ahead of the visit of Sunderland.

Luke Garbutt returns to the squad after overcoming tonsillitis but Steven Pienaar is not yet ready to return from muscle fatigue issues.
    Sunderland
    Sunderland captain John O'Shea will miss his first game of the season after suffering a rib injury last weekend.

Steven Fletcher is fit after missing two games with an ankle complaint, while defender Wes Brown returns from a knee injury.

Facts and stats

Head to Head
    • Sunderland ended a run of six straight defeats at Goodison Park last season, when Ki Sung-Yeung's penalty gave them victory.
    • The last three meetings have produced just four goals; two were penalties, while another was an own goal.
    Everton
    • Everton have won five of their last seven matches (W5, D1, L1).
    • The Toffees haven't lost at Goodison Park in 2015, going eight league games unbeaten there (11 in all competitions).
    • They have won their last four home games without conceding a goal.
    • Everton have scored in seven successive league games, the joint-longest current run in the Premier League.
    • Leighton Baines has nine assists in the league this season, three more than any other defender, and two away from his best ever tally in a Premier League campaign, which was 11 in 2010-11.
    Sunderland
    • Sunderland have won two of their last four league matches.
    • But the Black Cats haven't won away from home in the league in 2015. It's eight league matches since they won away, 1-0 at Newcastle on 21 December.
    • Sunderland are four points better off than at this stage last season, when they staged their 'great escape' to avoid relegation.
    • They have the lowest-scoring top goalscorer in the Premier League this season - Connor Wickham with five goals.
    • Lee Cattermole has collected 13 yellow cards in the league this season - the record in a single Premier League campaign is 14.
    Head to Head

Form

This Season's Reverse Fixture

Last Corresponding Fixture

Betting
    http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/everton-v-sunderland/winner

Streaming
    http://xn--frstrowsports-39b.eu/

2. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Great thread - as usual <cheers>

Brian Storm likes this.
  3. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Nice one Funky..I wish I was going down, but will be stuck at work..

4. Brian Storm

You're welcome lads. I've voted on the optimistic side as always and gone for the win. I think it will be a draw. But it's a fixture we can win, very winnable if we show the fight some of the teams around us have shown and recently we've seen a glimpse of that fight in ourselves.

5. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

What a fabulous thread, this lad is a credit to the board ..... where would we be without him?

Other match thread starters must be slitting their own veins looking at this.

If Bri ever quits we may as well all just give up.

I, for one, believe we should be paying for a service like this, why we should get all this for nowt?

If the players put in this much effort tomorrow the 3 points are just a formality <ok>

6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

You can have the points for the craic

marcusblackcat likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

Cheers fella

8. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

Heart says point head says nowt

9. Smug in Boots

Everton have lost 13 games this season, just like Sunderland ........ unlucky for someone tomorrow <ok>

Oh, and we've also only conceded 4 more goals despite an 8 nil.

10. Brian Storm

Oh it's winnable, a mix of fortune and a clinical edge in front of goal can't be far off.

11. TurkeyTeeth™

TurkeyTeeth™ Well-Known Member

You're going down red knight .....

12. MrRAWhite

Look what the winds blew in..

13. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

---------Pantillimon------------
    Jones---Vergini--Brown----Pva
    -----------Cattermole----------
    ---------Larsson--Gomez-----
    ----Defoe--Graham--Wickham-

Sam_Fring likes this.
  14. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

thought i could smell something

15. Smug in Boots

What's your problem, as long as it's someone witty & interesting ............ oh right, see what you mean <doh>

16. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

nice one funky. divvent dee one, aye!

a draw would be good, a win superb.
    start hard and keep gannin at them to nick the win, please.

17. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

Only manage a win last season due to sending off and a defensive display that Jose would have been proud of. A draw at worst for us I think

18. Smug in Boots

I believe we'll win tomorrow, I believe because I love my club and want them to win.
    I don't give a shiney shyte about 'jinxing things' by predicting a win, it's football not witchcraft.

I believe we'll win because thinking the worst would be betraying the people going there to cheer the team on.
    I believe because I have no choice and have to believe.
    I believe because I owe it to the people around me who want to believe and take courage from my endless belief.

Haway the Lads!!!!!!!!!

West Brom will beat Newcastle, Hull & Leicester will lose and we'll all be looking forward to next week.

I won't be hiding behind the settee tomorrow, I'll be watching expecting a great day and a win.
    I wish I could be there to celebrate like we celebrated at Chelsea & Man Utd last season.

I'm already planning my trips to Arsenal & Chelsea and expecting to have a great time.

Bollox to fearing the worst, Everton aren't Chelsea, they're below Southampton, Stoke, West Ham & Swansea ffs.
    We've just beaten Southampton and, unless I'm mistaken, drew at Swansea & Stoke recently and only lost at West Ham in the last minute.

2-0 to Sunderland and a great afternoon watching everyone else squirm <ok>

19. MrRAWhite

Nice one marra..I hope you are right..

20. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

O Shea..out..