1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Expectations for the season ahead…

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by LD19SAFC, Jun 26, 2022.

?

Where will we finish?

1. Top 2

1.8%
  2. 3rd - 6th

24.1%
  3. 7th - 12th

59.8%
  4. 13-18th

12.5%
  5. 19-24th

1.8%
  1. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Aye, you’re right… Here’s hoping we get 2 or 3 real good signings in over the next month or so.

2. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Anywhere from 5th to 10th imo.

3. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

Not too concerned just yet. I would have liked to have had Broadhead sorted by now and to have the keeper situation resolved but I'm very confident that we'll get what we need by the time the window closes.

This team might be largely our "League One" team, but the team that finished the season in League One under Alex Neil was already a mid-table Championship club, on balance, in terms of ability in my opinion.

4. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Still think we will be OK. Need a few in though. Couple of strikers and a backup keeper, would like a big, strong midfielder to dominate games as well.

I'm comfortable with the recruitment so far and I think we will get the players we need and still plenty of time to sort it for the season (although Coventry is pretty close now!)

5. LD19SAFC

It’s gonna be tough. Coventry done well last season and have won all of their pre season games…

6. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

They have done well since going up. Don't think they have ever been close to going back to L1, in fact they were up in the playoffs for a bit last season IIRC. Very tough start for us imo.

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  7. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

due a loss then :)

8. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

They have an excellent manager, who is capable of stepping up but may never get the chance...

Oliver's Army likes this.
  9. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Depends on how quickly we can bring players in, especially strikers who know how to put chances away.

10. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

if offered, I'd take a no drama mid table finish now. Quite a few teams in the Championship alot more equipped than we are. As much as I can't stand them, Norwich have their best part of a Premier leauge squad with loads of money to spend. Watford will be there or there abouts, there's two for starters. This next season has to be used for stability. Folk are getting excited and that's great, but vast improvement is needed for the 1st team. That run we went on last season was just that, a run. Hopefully we come out all guns blazing, but for all the new season cards sold, patience will be required.

11. Downeys Loup

Downeys Loup Well-Known Member

Steady start hoping for mid-table while we settle in first half of season, improve the squad in January and push for the play-offs would be ideal for me. Sets up perfectly to push on the next season for an automatic spot.

12. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

This for me really. Anyone from 18th up at Christmas still has a realistic chance of playoffs I'm sure we were about 14th at Christmas when we won the league under Keane. All it needs is 2 or 3 good runs of 5 or 6 games unbeaten and we will be sniffing around the top 6. For me the world Cup break will be a good judgement point. Basically Try and win as many games as possible before then and basically know what your aims are after that be it top 6 or battling relegation. I don't really think there are any stress free games in the championship as generally until the last 5 or 6 games every team is fighting for 1 or the other.

13. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

We will be in contention 4 out of 5 matches. In that odd fifth match, we will learn who will be on the retained list.

One of those four we contend in will be like yesterday where we will have felt we deserved better but didn't take our chances.

In three of those four we contend in -- there will be a '1' in the score line.

On the bench or the pitch, posters will often refer to Trai Hume in the match day threads.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  14. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

I believe the Mirror has us finishing bottom.
    Somebody doesn’t like us.
    I think a relaxing mid table mostly looking up but never quite threatening.

Robertson and smithy in nl like this.
  15. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Really hard to say, but Id say somewhere in hhe middle eight, possibly at the lower end of it if we can't afford, can't attract , or dont have room on the wage bill for more quality help up front, which I think we all see we need.

It will probably be this , from now which will shape our season, but every club is always looking for goals.

I like the fact that we have kept the squad more or less together , as wholesale changes almost never work. But, though we looked really good for the last third of the season just gone, we were still in League One and were at that level.

Some of those ayers will improve for the season they had, and the manager is now in a division he knows very well. .

Decent incomings already mind, and one or two more of the same level, and that could see us 7-12 rather than 12-18.

But, I'm never right anyway!

clockstander and Robertson like this.
  16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

It's going to be tough but we have the team spirit and never say die attitude to do well. With Alex Neil we have a good manager who knows when and how to change games. I'll be happy with staying in the Championship but I think we will finish top half.
    If we get off to a good start, the momentum will build and we could even push for the play-offs similar to Luton / Coventry last year.
    It all depends on who comes in and who goes out - can't wait.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  17. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

As it stands, I think we have a squad capable of finishing 14th or 15th. This is a tough league with sides brimming with talent. 3 or 4 additions to the first eleven and the top 10 is a distinct possibility.

After the last 6 years, a season of stability wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm certainly not expecting miracles. Steadily build a squad capable of going up and staying there. Everything doesn't have to happen in 1 season.

We've got a great manager and a side which is used to playing together, which has tremendous potential. Enjoy the ride!

RTB likes this.
  18. LD19SAFC

4 games in… What we thinking? I’d probably say bottom half now, looking how the squad currently stands.

19. TeamOfTalents

TeamOfTalents Well-Known Member

Top 10 assuming we get the deals done

20. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Still playoffs for me