1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2012 (Game)

Discussion in 'F1 Off Topic' started by Forza Bianchi, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

Codemasters have revealed the first screenshots of the new F1 game, and (back in April) gave us a few details about the game.

please log in to view this image

Unfortunately the only thing that looks aesthetically pleasing is also outdated.

In April, Stephen Hood revealed some details about the game. To summarise:
    • They've put a lot of time into "expanding the career mode and several other single-player modes"
    • There will be a new introductory mode based around the young driver tests. It will help casual players learn the basics, but all players will have to do it.
    • The development team is doing new stuff with the weather and lighting, and there are "significant" changes to the underlying physics engine.
    • They are "changing the IU (user interface) dramatically for this season"

They also mentioned on twitter that AI improvements are a major focus for them this year. The game will be playable at E3 (June 5th-7th) and we'll get some gameplay footage then.

2. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

The F1 game series just does not interest me and im really disappointed at myself for thinking that. I was waiting for F1 series games to become available on the xbox for years and was bursting with excitement when F1 2010 was released. However its graphics, simulation, gameplay was a big letdown. I think maybe my hopes were that it would be on a similar level to the Forza Motorsport series in terms of versatility amd attention to detail with regards to physical simulation.

Unless Turn 10 somehow manage to come up with a real Forza stinker I cant ever imagine me putting the F1 disc in before the Forza one when I am looking my racing simulation thrills.

3. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Well-Known Member

There's a yellow T-bar on Maldonado's car. It should be red. This game is most disappointing.

4. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Let's just hope it is not another "arcade" simulation of F1.

5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

apparently the best F1 game for realistic physics is GP4 by the legend that is Geoff Crammond, who did all the early GP games for microprose and stunt car racer. It's pretty sad that no one has hired him to do it since 2002, which to me is akin to Alonso being overlooked for an F1 drive. The thing is if they did make a true F1 simulator how many people would be able to play it well? escpecially if they only have a controller rather than a wheel and pedals.

6. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

If they don't do something about the PS3 framerate issue, then there's no point in buying it. 2011 was runied for me by the dreadful graphics.

7. Big Ern

i've not played 2011, but 2010 Monaco causes problems through sector 3, the problem is the PS3 itself. A console just doesn't have the processing power to make a really good F1 simulator, I'd prefer they scale ddown the GFX and upscale the gameplay, but I know that'll never happen as it's far easier and cheaper to make a game look good rather than make it good. Especially when you consider the PS3 is now over 5 years old, that's a hell of a long time for computer technology, and they have to design games to work on the oldest version of it.

8. ASenna94

ASenna94 New Member

Hopefully it will be a improvement on F1 2011.

9. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They've already said they're not trying to make R Factor or iRacing and i for one dont want them to. They are making a game. Not saying i want Mario Kart by any means but there has to be a balance.

On a more general note it does worry me that the main feature they've announced for this game is basically a tutorial.

10. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Did anyone get a chance in the closed beta of the other new Codemasters F1 game, https://f1onlinethegame.com/. I got access to the beta, but couldn't get it to work on my laptop annoyingly. From what I've seen it looked pretty impressive, although I can't say a lot due to the NDA. It's going to be a free to play online F1 management game though (not sure if you drive too yet), with lots of customisation too.

11. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I got the Beta call but annoyingly I was away on business so had no chance to even have a go :(

[video=youtube;ZN-dtff14EA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZN-dtff14EA[/video]

12. Big Ern

So, when it comes out shall we race?

13. random92

random92 Member

It's not a bad game actually. Procrastination from revision for finals led me to playing it extensively. From what they've been saying, it'll extend beyond the 2 days this week

14. nh-f1

nh-f1 Member

I don't care for graphics in games much, because games with average or below average graphics produces a good gameplay experience, and thats what you want from a game. I think the graphics in Forza 4 and GT5 are pretty basic, but thats because its a racing simulation, so the graphics have to be held back to make a good game.

Look at games like Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins and even Battlefield 3. There are a few problems with graphics tearing and not looking very sharp, but the gameplay is amazing because of that.

I can't wait for F1 2012, from those points listed, it's improving everything I want improved. The young driver test thing is good for all people. For those new to F1 and racing games, it helps them understand the sport and how to drive fast. For F1 veterans and take racing games seriously, it adds to the realism of being a driver, and gives you even more track time.

15. Big Ern

If you want racing realism go to a go Kart track, no simulator can compare (I've been on an F1 simulator so I can confirm this), the F1 series are GAMES, forza is not a simulator, it tries to be, but fails, because consoles simpy don't have the processing power to be able to do it.

To be honest I'm not sure I'd really want it to be, simply because the online racing would be pretty pointless as a slight knock would end the race, and most people online aren't really good enough to drive a kart well. I'm quite happy that if someone does something silly in front of me and clips my front wing it doesn't snap it off and ruin my race, like it would if it was a simulator.
    If it tried to hard to be a simulator it would be too hard to play, unless you really think you're good enough to drive an F1 car, which most are not.

16. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

You know what another big difference for me between the F1 series and Forza? Tilke! Some circuits on the F1 game are an absolute chore to drive they are than mundane. But I can never get bored of driving tracks like Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, Infineon Raceway etc... Americans seem to know how to make a good track

17. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Thats all well and good but at £30 for 30mins its not exactly doable as a regular thing now is it?

18. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Gran Turismo 5>Forza>F1 2011.

19. Nazara

Nazara Active Member

Fixed <ok>

20. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If it was truely realistic we'd all need to have been coached from the age of 5 to be able to actually drive them to a decent standard. If the onlinee shows anything its that there's a pretty steep learning curve in the game as it is.

Foza and GT are very good, but different games. They strive a bit more for realism, but their still games. If you put on driving gloves to play them and take it incredibly seriously its because you're a twat.

For me the game has to be realistic enough to be immersive, while still ultimately being fun, which is its main purpose. For my money it gets the balance pretty good.