1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2018 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Smithers, Apr 25, 2017.

1. WestCoastBoogaloo

WestCoastBoogaloo Well-Known Member

I never really felt that Eric Boullier was the problem at McLaren as he wasn't responsible for the design of the car, just the racing of it, or at least that's how I understood what his role was (happy to be corrected though). However, McLaren fundamentally need to get better in all aspects so if this helps to achieve that then so be it. According to Joe Saward along with this management restructure they have also abandoned the idea of a 2019 Indycar entry in order to fully focus on F1, which seemed the bloody obvious thing to do considering their recent performance.

With Boullier leaving the thought occurs that we haven't heard a lot about Peter Prodomou this season, he's the guy in charge of aero isn't he? If the MCL33 has such an aero flaw that is not showing up in the wind tunnel and is holding the team back I'd expect him to go rather than Boullier (not that I know much about it obviously). This makes me think he was just fed up or clashed with the decision making up top and decided to go.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Hmm, might Ron be making an application? Guess not, but I wonder who actually was responsible for pushing him out, responsible as in shifting the blame on to him in the political sense. I do think McLaren will fix their issues, other than being a works team which might have been fundamental in being right at the top. They messed that one up although in fairness we all thought Honda failed to deliver. But you have to wonder how much was actually the issue of arrogance in McLaren, who failed to work with Honda properly.
    Probably a combination of it all. wasted 4 years and another 2 more yet I guess.

3. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Reported by PlanetF1 and probably many other sites
    ''The Red Bull boss also says it was strange that Mercedes, or Vowles, even felt the need to motivate Hamilton by Vowles falling on his sword.

“I have never worked with Lewis and I don’t know what makes him tick and what doesn’t, but it’s a fairly bizarre thing to need to do for somebody – to throw themselves under the bus to motivate a driver to go faster from fourth back into the lead.”''

Is Lewis losing motivation? I do wonder. Not a criticism of Lewis more an observation. Always hardest to leave at the top but those who do rarely regret. Maybe its time, the tone of his comments has changed.

4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I think next season will be his last .

5. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can see why he's losing motivation. Yes he's got or had a top car all these years, but you can tell he's a racer. He thrives on racing. This generation is drive to a delta racing. It's damn hard to actually race these cars wheel to wheel. Next year may reinvigorate him but maybe his mind is already set.

Big Ern likes this.
  6. happyal

happyal Active Member

Is he really? Is there any evidence of that, apart from him keep saying it? Every time he seems to be in a mid field car he tends to drift in and out. If memory serves too, if he had any half decent team mate in these lesser cars, he tends to get beat too.

Compare that to Alonso, where he gives everything, no matter what his car is like and I honestly thinks he likes having a cushion and by far the best car. In fact I think once it starts getting close, he'll quit.

7. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Alonso maybe used to give everything but these days he just wants to retire the car after 10 or so laps. It's a sad end for the guy.

And yes, I do believe Hamilton is a racer. He's most happy when he wins after a fight. And most grumpy when he loses without a fight. He performs well when he has something to fight for and goes off the boil when there's nothing at stake. It's been his whole career, junior series and all. He burst onto the scene in many people's eyes, but anyone who'd seen him pre 2007 could see it all coming.

All drivers have their quirks which benefit or hinder them at certain times.

Number 1 Jasper and easynic150 like this.
  8. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Everyone is a racer when they are winning.

9. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Most people like to win and in the moment couldn't care less how they win. It's that nagging feeling you get after that spoils things.

10. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Marchionne has just died in hospital.

11. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Quite true, BLS.

12. Number 1 Jasper

LTL reported it Earlier .

R.I.P .

13. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Fingers crossed for a sensible backer.

Number 1 Jasper, DHCanary and Big Ern like this.
  14. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Would Force India be a good option for a works Honda or an Audi for example?

The unpaid engine bill and the ease by which they have let Mercedes overtake them in recent weeks now suddenly makes more sense. It really is two tier F1 at the moment.

15. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Yeah, an Audi/VW platform for Force India could be right. Everything is there for an F1 team.

Not sure how the likes of Mercedes etc would be like if they knew they were supplying engines to a team that would become a works rival? The rules state that one of them has to do it, so maybe Honda could step in for a year, as out of all of them they're the ones Audi/VW would learn least from, unless its how to do it wrong!

16. Number 1 Jasper

Is there factory at Silverstone just the old Jordan place , of have they expanded ?

If they have not expanded , maybe a bit too small ?

17. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

That would be interesting but I would guess Honda would argue that they have only so far provided PUs to 1 team and next year they will have to ramp up to supply 2 teams. So suddenly having to supply a third would be very difficult not only in production but also support terms. Where as Merc would just carry on supplying the new FI team :)

From what I have read VW/Audi/Porsche have suggested that they are not interested in the proposed PU structure for 2021. Maybe it is just a bluff and they are working on it now!!!

18. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Honda have got themselvres together better than Renault imo, they've had less lead in time and only 1 team to gather data from, it's probably more reliable already (ask RBR) and I wouldn't be surprised if they have an all-round better PU than Renault next year

easynic150 and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  19. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it's the same site, I couldn't comment on the building/staff numbers. Jordan's budget in 2004 was around the $80m mark, so not a million miles off the $120m Force India are thought to spend each year. I'd be surprised if they had the spare capital to invest in facilities that dramatically increased their size/staff numbers though.

Were a manufacturer to come in, I would imagine they could work across multiple sites if needs be. Mercedes have Brackley and Brixworth for example. There's probably plenty of old F1 factories kicking around they could repurpose until they'd built their own bespoke site too. I don't think the Hingham site Caterham had is used for anything, for example.

The bigger problem is nobody serious is going to commit to a sport where there's no agreement for 2021 and beyond. Audi are part of those discussions I think, so until they know what's happening (and are happy with it), I can't see anybody big moving into F1.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  20. Number 1 Jasper

I'm beginning to wonder about a part buyout of Williams. Pretty sure I read Claire say recently that they would never be anyone's " B" team , but may look to work closer with a partner ? Or something like that ?