1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2019 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by DHCanary, Jun 19, 2018.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

This is a big shock. RIP :emoticon-0106-cryin

2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Because they want to drive in the car most likely to give them a chance of being F1 WDC ?

Works both ways .

3. Number 1 Jasper

Thank you .

Very interesting .

4. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

According to an interview in the Times today, Claire is very aware the team is broken but she is taking the responsibility to fix it, as much for the family, which includes Nate, as for the 1000 employees and their families and mortgages. Not only is Lance Stroll's father off (yet to be confirmed) Martini have not renewed their contract and no replacement has been identified. They will receive less from Liberty Media next year given their current standing, The hint was, the finances will need addressing but there is money in the bank.
    They know the issues with the car and are working on fixing them.

I have never been a fan of Paddy Lowe but accept that might just be prejudice on my part. I never really understood what he brought to the party but it could simply be he has a quiet personality, which doesn't make me think of him as a leader. Might he be too nice and not challenging enough.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. Number 1 Jasper

Sadly , I think they will have to lose 1/2 the current staff for a start .

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Stroll is rumoured to be putting in £30m a year I think? I believe the Martini money isn't huge for a title sponsor, but still a significant gap to fill.

Supposedly Kubica's backers promised £1m a race, which is £21m or so for a full season. Maybe Sirotkin's backers can step up their contribution if it is necessary to keep the team alive? Perhaps we see SMP-Williams Racing? It's going to be tricky, there don't appear to be all that many pay drivers out of the sport right now?? Lafiti seems to have some money behind him?

One rumour I love the sound of is "Telefonica Mclaren-Renault", with Sainz and Alonso driving.

7. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Depending on whether or not the 2021 financial regulations are approved, they might have to anyway! As might several other teams. In Williams case, that might allow them to downsize sooner, do the bare minimum to survive for 2019 and 2020, then compete on a more level playing field in 2021. I fear the big teams will front-load 2021 development costs to try and steal a march on those that can't however.

Speaking of the 2021 financial rules, I'm really curious how teams like Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull address it. They spend so far over the proposed cap, and probably have twice the staff. Do they go for wholesale redundancies, or do they try and carve the team in two and run as separate outfits (perhaps with shared premises)? I wonder if this is the reason for Mclaren exploring the Indy option.

8. Number 1 Jasper

I agree .

I think it's a given no matter what that williams , unless bought out by a manufacturer , will have to get rid of 50% of the staff no matter what .

9. Justjazz

There are many things they can do. The amount they attribute to developing a engine for supply to other teams is an easy scam, then there is outsource.
    F1 would have to put a cap on engine development and manufacture by Renault, Ferrari, Merc, but how do you police it,. They could easily argue they are buying in solutions from their commercial operations at a fraction of the real cost. The only controllable area is the chassis development and build cost but there would be ways round that too for the big teams. I understand the desire and why and I am sure they will put a dressing on it but realistically IF a team wants to outsource to a company they use also control and buy in at a fraction of its cost, how can you argue the commercial leg of the company is selling at a loss.

10. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

The PU spending isn't really an issue as long as customer teams get same PU as manufacturers at a fixed (by FIA) price. All teams they 'pay' the same for PU's. The problem is that IF a cost cap comes in it will take a minimum of 2 years to make any difference. i.e. the rules for 2021 will be set by say 2019 so teams have 2 years worth of development money to put in before any cost caps! The big teams will spend massively to gain an advantage that they will probably hold for the first 3 years. Just like Merc spent big to develop the new PUs and it has taken 3 years for Ferrari to catch up maybe even overtake but Renault are still behind!!!

I do feel sorry for Williams as they are one of the few teams that are really on their own. Re Bull/Torro Rosso are funded by a drinks company, Merc, Ferrari, Renault by car manufacturers, Hass by engineering manufacturer, Force India (were funded by business people, McLaren by investors and their own car production, and Sauber (similar to Williams) but now supported by investors and Ferrari.

It would be sad for Williams to disappear, I hope they can drag themselves back.

11. Number 1 Jasper

Good post .

The other thing with Williams , is they are a PLC , so have to be held accountable to the share holders .

I think they are the only one ?

ched999uk likes this.
  12. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The superlicence rules have limited the stock of pay drivers. They have to be at least passable these days.

13. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

JAMES KEY JOINS MCLAREN AS TECHNICAL DIRECTOR

14. Justjazz

In summary therefore cost limits are window dressing, as always there will be enough smart people who find a way round it.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  15. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Helmut has said no, looks like they want a barrel load of compensation from McLaren or will hold him to his 2020 contract!

16. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Or let them have Norris

17. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Seems like another error from MCLaren in announcing they had signed him! Maybe they should have negotiated a leave date with RB first!! If I were RB I would put him on gardening leave immediately, you don't want him passing on 2019 or beyond info to a rival.

18. Number 1 Jasper

If they announced they had him before being 100% certain . Then they are stupid .

easynic150 likes this.
  19. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

please log in to view this image

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  20. Number 1 Jasper

Are you suggesting HE leaked the info , or that he is loving it ?