1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread FC Midtjylland V Saints. Europa League Play Off 2nd Leg 27/08/15 ko 19:45

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintkitch, Aug 25, 2015.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Didn't their keeper make 5 thousand saves? :)

2. Island Saint

Island Saint Well-Known Member

I have also heard their whole stadium catering comprises a couple of loaves and a few fish.

fatletiss likes this.
  3. bazooka that mayuka

Yes, yes and yes again, drove me mad that we were pulling everyone back. Make it so much harder to defend with so many bodies in the box and piles the pressure on as there is no release!

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Didn't know where to post this but Ryan can't wait to be back :)

fatletiss likes this.
  5. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I actually thought they really struggled to deal with Pelle second half, when we got the ball up to him reasonably quickly. The trick is to try and get at least a couple of players around him to try and win the second ball. It won't be pretty, but it will be effective.

6. fatletiss

It will be pretty if it is an accurate pass into him- he dealt with this really well in the first leg and as long as he controls and passes it, we'll be fine.

*please Graziano, no flicks, no champagne pass attempts, K.I.S.S.*

7. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

A game we should win but we need to step up from how we played at Watford. The game is ours to take - hoping the mindset is right on the day. Tactically, it is evident that they could not handle Pelle in the first leg - does not mean they have been ignoring this in training, so am hoping we have a Plan B for this one if we decide to play long-ball from the outset and it does not work. I think this is going to be tough fixture as both teams have a lot to lose and you can be sure the Danes will pull every trick they can to keep us from scoring, as they tried in the first leg.

8. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Why does everyone assume we should win. I think people forget that there are some good teams outside the major leagues in Europe and the Premier League is not as strong as it was, plus Midtjylland have home advantage and can sit on their advantage. We must respect our opposition and hope for an early goal to help us.

saintalfie, Libby and Archers Road like this.
  9. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I have never been drawn into predicting results. I have no idea what will happen on Thursday though what I would like to happen is not the same thing as predicting what will happen.

10. fatletiss

Why does thinking we're going to win, now mean we're disrespecting the opposition.

I went to the first game and saw us take 45 minutes to get used to them and then dominate them without seeing them off. This is why I think we'll win and comfortably.

11. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I did not say thinking that we are going to win is a bad thing, that is an opinion that you have made from what you have observed and is fair enough. However, saying that we should win is a bit different; just watch Malmo - just because they are not on the big club radar from a media-hyped league does not mean that they are not a threat, nor do I think the Danish champions will be any different.

12. fatletiss

Fair point. I'll read properly next time :)

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  13. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Comfortably? That'll be a new one for Saints.

Any problems then just remember, THE CATS DIDN'T DO IT, LEAVE THEM ALONE !!!

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

One of my cat visitors is wondering why he has a big target painted on his side. <devil>

shoot_spiderman and Archers Road like this.
  15. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

My opinion is that we should be really direct. Aim for Pelle and have Long and Rodriguez constantly making runs off him. Their cb's couldn't win anything against Pelle in the first game, so it's not necessary to be patient and to keep the ball on the floor. I'm assuming Mane is out. If not then I'd play him over JRod.

Long and JRod staying very narrow and close to Pelle, rather than playing like wingers. Long and Rodriguez would need to be ballsy and not bother back tracking. It would cause absolute mayhem if we play like this and the other team won't know what to do imo. Another thing I like about setting up like this is you still get JWP's set pieces and still get the two DM's and Davis. There's also the bonus of getting the height and power of the three centre backs for set pieces. The back three would need to squeeze the game with a high line. It's super unlikely we'll do this as it's unconventional. But there's no harm in voicing my opinion.

My team (3-3-3-1)
    Rodriguez Pelle Long
    -------------JWP
    Romeu Wanyama Davis
    Yoshida Fonte Caulker
    -------------Stek

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. fatletiss

Would it upset you if I pointed out that their most dangerous player was a wide player who caused us a lot of problems breaking wide? Did you also notice how well they kept the ball in the first half? We go narrow, he'll have acres of space.

I am horrified at the tactical approach you've suggested there, but as you say it's your opinion. My opinion is that is appalling, too narrow and we'd get picked off way too easy. If we don't show some patience, they'll get plenty of possession and we'd be playing right into their hands. They couldn't cope with Pelle in the second half the other night because he dropped in and controlled the ball to link with others and a lot of that was on the floor/into his body.

To play the three strikers narrow, would block all the space and be easier to pick up players and defend against. To break them down, we do need to have plenty of runs up front - that is about the only thing I can agree with in your post. If we play forward early for the striker to run into wide in space then I'm happy with that, but I fear your suggestion of direct is bang it up in the air to Pelle and let the other two pick up the flick ons. If Mane is fit, I'd play Jayrod over Long, he can run at a defender better than Long.

We need to get the right blend of attacking them at pace while also be mindful of possession as they will keep it when they have it. First half last week they knocked it about well. If Mane is out, that will be pretty bad for us as I think we need players getting in behind them and Mane can do that. I would get as much width as possible (could be full backs) and get that wide player as high up the pitch as possible. I'd like to see us break fast by running at them rather than banging it into Pelle. We still don't use Pelle's best attribute enough - get the ball wide early and cross from high up the pitch. The goal against Newcastle is Pelle at his best. If we can get behind them early and deliver an early cross with Pelle attacking it early, then he'd have a field day, rather than knocking them in from deep which is what we tend to do.

Our two CDMs will be important as we must protect that space in front of the CBs. The three at the back might work as it would allow the full backs to play as wide midfielders and also allow Cedric in without worrying about the height issue (the three Cb's would pick up in open play and Cedric less likely to be isolated at far post as he'll be further forward).

If you now posted that this was a wind-up, I'd believe you and say "well done, you've got me!"

Ps. Did you get excited when Sam Allardyce became available :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    shoot_spiderman likes this.
  17. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

LOL!

18. saintkitch

saintkitch Well-Known Member

I think we need to play a system and style that at least gets us a 2-2 draw. :emoticon-0105-wink:

OddRiverOakWizards and fatletiss like this.
  19. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Saints flight departs 10:30 as ENZ576 to Karup. Appears to be a rather ancient BAe146 G-SMLA.

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Better send Wanyama separately or it might struggle to gain height. Our luxury days seem behind us now Cortese has left.