1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Film (movie for Ellewood) thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by look_back_in_amber, Nov 10, 2015.

1. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" has to be one of my favourite films. Also "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".
    Favourite Brit, films..."Barry Lyndon" and "The Devils"...and "Get Carter".
    I've missed a lot by only watching about 1 movie every 5 years, usually 3-5 years after they are released, so I enjoy reading other peoples recommendations.

Craigo and look_back_in_amber like this.
  2. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Barry Lyndon is one of the most underrated films of all time IMO. Brilliantly produced by Kubrick...many of the scenes are photographic works of art and the funeral scene of Lyndons little son is a real tearjerker. Right up there with the Julie Christie, Peter Finch, Alan Bates version of Far From the Madding Crowd....

Craigo and look_back_in_amber like this.
  3. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Certainly on my must watch list; you have given me much to seek out!

This is an excellent thread and much credit to Quill and Ellewood. :emoticon-0148-yes:

Edit: Sorry, really should include Look Back In Amber for the thread!

I rate Daniel Day Lewis very highly, the film that I love, though, is Last of the Mohicans, superb in everyway.

4. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Fully agree Fez, The Revenant looks like it will be a cracker, thanks Quill <ok>

5. Quill

Quill Bastard

On a slightly different note to The Revenant, the next film in the Marvel series, Captain America: Civil War, released it's trailer early this morning.

As a big comic book fan, this is definitely on my most anticipated for next year.

EDIT: Didn't realise how **** quality that original video was, put in a proper one now.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

Watched selfless on afdah on Monday night
    Really enjoyed it, not usually a fan of Ryan Reynolds
    But he was very good in it, also has Ben Kingsley
    As the old dying billionaire,

7. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

TV not film so I will hold my hands up now but am amazed how the Walking Dead gets better and better. A lot of people gave up with it after a few series but without giving spoilers the episode with the the two Zen stick men a few weeks ago was one of the best things I've seen for a long time. There's a lot of cheese in the Walking Dead but the good stuff more than makes up for it.

8. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

The original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is on FilmFour next week, much better with Noomi Rapace in Swedish rather than the Hollywood remake with some supermodel playing the part

9. Quill

Quill Bastard

Only just noticed this.

Surprised that was the Kubrick film you chose. Not saying it is a bad choice, as the cinematography is exquisite and the acting also, but that would probably be bottom of my list of Kubrick films.

10. Quill

Quill Bastard

Some sad movie news, Setsuko Hara, one of the greatest actors/actresses to come from Japan, probably most famous for her roles in the Yasujiro Ozu films Tokyo Story and Late Spring, has died at the age of 95.

RIP

11. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

If you shut your eyes when the film actually starts, it's like an episode of Paddington Bear...

12. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

Gangs of New York on tonight! Cracking film :emoticon-0148-yes:

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  13. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Most, if not all of his films, were brilliant in their own way. Such a diverse variety of subject matter and technical presentation. The soundtrack (music) is what attracted me the most in Lyndon, apart from all it's other attributes. Just shows you how tastes can vary. "Vive la difference". I certainly couldn't puth is movies in any order of preference - the mood changes constantly. But I get your point.

14. Quill

Quill Bastard

Absolutely, none of his films are bad, and all of them are very different and have their own great things about them.

If I was going to order them, at this current moment I would say:

1. A Clockwork Orange
    2. The Shining
    3. Dr. Strangelove
    4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    5. Paths of Glory
    6. Full Metal Jacket
    7. The Killing
    8. Eyes Wide Shut
    9. Fear and Desire
    10. Barry Lyndon
    11. Spartacus
    12. Lolita
    13. Killer's Kiss

This will very likely be different tomorrow. I haven't watched half of those films in a long while either.

tigerscanada likes this.
  15. Quill

Quill Bastard

One of God knows how many films which DiCaprio was ignored for (not nominated in this one).

16. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

Full Metal Jacket and The Shining are my 1-2 for Kubrick though FMJ is a bit windy in places and goes on a bit.

17. Quill

Quill Bastard

The Shining is probably my favourite horror film.

Full Metal Jacket loses steam after the boot camp stuff. In terms of war films by Kubrick, Paths of Glory is superior in nearly every way IMO.

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  18. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Another great movie which I've watched over and over again is Robert Redford's saga of the legendary Mountain Man "Jeremiah Johnson"...one mans decades long battle against the wilderness and hostile Indians. Equally as good is Daniel Day Lewis' performance in "The Last of the Mohicans", also a great book by Fenimore Cooper.

19. OedipusTex

OedipusTex Well-Known Member

Folks who talk politics usually show they don't know what the hell they're talking about. Let's keep it to movies.

I recently watched The Lion in Winter and loved it. The funny thing is I'd tried to watch it a couple of times earlier over the course of years and couldn't last 20 minutes. I don't know why it suddenly resonated with me, but it did. And I have never been a Peter O'Toole fan.

20. OedipusTex

OedipusTex Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly disagree. The additional 4 of the seven feature an array of sins awaiting redemption, while the additional 4 samurai are pretty much alike. Seven Samurai spends too much time laying out how the battle will play out, which is not nearly as important to the story as the characters. They're both outstanding films, but I have to give the nod to The Magnificent Seven.