1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Flexibility in defence

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TheCasual, Aug 15, 2023.

1. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

So after watching the extended highlights of City on Saturday I notice something.

So with Greaves playing left back it allowed us flexibility. At some points in the game Greaves played as a traditional left back and other points he played as a third centre back.

This allowed Coyle really push forward.

We could do it the other side. We could play Jones centre back/right back and then have Vinagre attacking down the left.

I think this started with Man City last season. They played Nathan Ake at left and he could play as either as left back or left sided centre back.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

We effectively went 3-5-2 in the second half on Saturday, which not only allowed Coyle to get forward, but allowed Traore to go more central, which is where he should be. I like the flexibility, Greaves still made runs and Coyle dropped back, I thought it worked really well.

3. jhe10

jhe10 Well-Known Member

This is how we played most of last season after Rosenior took over, when in possession (and when Greaves was playing left back). Greaves would tuck in, not as an extra CB but as extra midfield (but available to drop back if we lost possession. Meanwhile Christie would be miles upfield. Don't think this is a new development.

4. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

Inverted full back I believe its called?

5. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

It is. Apprently Pepe started that Bayern with Phillip Lahm.