1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Footballing reasons

Discussion in 'England' started by silkship, Jun 7, 2012.

1. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Laurent has thrown his two pence in - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/07/laurent-blanc-rio-ferdinand.

What confuses me is this idea that Roy made the decision for non-footballing reasons. Surely everything with regard to this ultimately works back to a footballing reason.

What is the issue with Terry and Ferdinand being in the same squad? Previous might disrupt the team spirit and unity and affect the performance on the pitch - sounds like a footballing reason.

Ferdinand left behind & Terry taken - two players won't play together, decision made in favour of the better player. Footballing reason.

Kelly called up instead of Rio- only a few days earlier England had replaced Lampard with a centre back- moving Jones over to be the back up right back- Cahill gets injured so Jones moves over to central def back up and Kelly comes in at right back. What would be the value of having a fifth potential centre back? Jones was selected ahead of Rio in the main squad so it is right that he be moved across to centre back ahead of his inclusion. Footballing reason.

Ferdinand was upset because he was publically made to look a fool, by himself. The night before he tweeted lyrics that suggested he obviously thought he was about to be called up. His lack of grace is hardly surprising, but it is a shame. The simple fact is that his own manager cast doubt on his ability to handle tournament football.

2. UIR - Kagawa Powa

UIR - Kagawa Powa New Member

The bollocks you chat amazes me.

Footballing reasons are only believed by morons. Anyone who thinks Terry is better than Rio or ever has been needs immediate help. One is a thug who relies on others to clean up after him while the other is a player whos the most talented and most successful defender we have had in years. When Rio played in WC or Euros we didnt concede goals. Its something mad like 1 goal conceded with Rio on the pitch. Thats down to Rio, nobody else. The guy reads the game like a midfielder, he sees all.

The fact is many English people have been force fed the lie that John Terry is a great defender. Hes slow, has poor positioning and gives away fouls ( rio went years without giving away a free kick in the final 3rd not long ago, he rarely does it even now if ever ) and causes disruption on and off the pitch.

Have you ever seen Rio assault a player on a pitch like Terry did v Barcelona?

Rio is also liked in the England set up, hes very popular while John Terry is far from popular. Many players dislike him and some cant stand him. You think dropping Rio will stop any adversity towards Terry? Think again. Smalling and Jones are 2 United defenders in the team and its likely both have a very low opinion of Terry.

When all the big anti racism groups are condemning Roy and England it says alot. If you believe this wasnt racially motivated then you are kidding yourself.

Its going to get very very ugly this, englands entire reputation is ****ed because of some insane stupidity and the kick it out campaign the FA claim to back is a farce considering we are taking a racist with us to the Euros.

Englands only slim hope is that there are no incidents involving race at all in the euros or that JT is injured before it starts and sent home. Only then will england have a slim chance of coming out of this without to much trouble. We can say goodbye to any hopes of hosting a Euros or World Cup though. Uefa and Fifa dont need an excuse.

3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Ohh a black player who is over the hill and injury prone is dropped in favour of a white man so it must be racist. Get that chip off your shoulder you knob.

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Better to keep qiet and let everyone think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

You won't like this, but the truth is Rio is not good enough!

5. UIR - Kagawa Powa

Over the hill............... when you know what your talking about then get involved but anyone who considers Rio over the hill shouldnt be allowed an opinion.

6. UIR - Kagawa Powa

Yet again more stupidity.

Rio had a better season than all defenders who are English last season bar Lescott. Rio had a better season than all other defenders bar Lescott and Kompany.

He has no fitness issues and hes without doubt better than Terry.

If you dont mind supporting a side that has selected a racist ahead of the better player as the season proved then so be it. It says alot about you.

I mean we are talking about a man who selected a winger who cant cross, shot or anything in Downing, the worst player in the PL last season......a striker whos idea of a good game is a few knock downs and **** all else in Carroll, a defender who is hated by his team mates and is a racist and a thug and 7 Liverpool players.......which is insanity.

Ironically the racist **** might miss the whole thing through injury...............Karma. Also shows how ****ing stupid Roy was and that his decision is bullshit.

7. Big Ern

your sad pathetic victim mentality is the reason you don't get on, not your skin colour, you need therapy.

8. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

You are so full of bullshit you must be a mushroom paradise!

Rio no longer has what it takes! FACT

9. UIR - Kagawa Powa

Sure thing racists.

Keep supporting racists and thugs. Cheer on Terry and everything he stands for.

10. silkship

With so many sweeping statements I dub you the Janitor of 606.

11. UIR - Kagawa Powa

Silk...... What are his fitness issues........considering Terry might miss the Euros anyway, plkease tell me, a United fan who watched Rio all season.....what are his current injury worries. Hes 100% fit just now. So please......do tell.

Terry stands accused..........with video evidence of him committing the offence. The fact is the FA got the case pushed back so he wouldnt be in jail for the Euros. Everyone with at least 1 braincell knows he did it.

Someone pointed out that in all other business sectors Terry would of been suspended until his court date and his future dependent on the outcome.

12. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

In my opinion neither is Terry, to be honest I wouldn't of had either of them in my first choice squad but Rio would definitely of been on standby, Terry would not of been anywhere near my team after the stunt he pulled in the world cup.

13. UIR - Kagawa Powa

Your sig has ever had more meaning than in the England board. My god what a shameful bunch of idiots we have in this country. Defending a man like Terry.

Anyway Terry isnt good enough to be in the team while Rio is. His england record is better than any of the golden gen, when he played england had a solid defence. When he didnt we were weak at the back. This is because having a defender who can control the ball, take a touch and play the ball to a fellow player always, always beat hoofing it 70 yards up field.

Rio is Manchester United, Terry is Stoke.

14. Big Ern

Totally agree, I felt sorry for Upson during the world cup, he got singled out for blame simply because he was the only defender who was in shot.

15. silkship

He's got issues with his back - ask your manager http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18044588! It's not whether he is 100% now, after a break, it's where he is relative to the other players after one game... and then two. What's the point of taking a player who can't play in every game, especially a back up player who you would become reliant on if injuries dictated. Rio was a great player and read the game well- at this peak was possibly better than Terry, but look at their individual honours;

Rio
    Hammer of the Year (1): 1997–98
    PFA Premier League Team of the Year (5): 2001–02 (Leeds), 2004–05, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09 (Manchester United)
    Premier League Player of the Month (1): October 2001
    FIFPro World XI (1): 2007–08
    London Youth Games Hall of Fame: 2009 inductee[52]

PFA Player of the Year: 2004–05
    FIFA World Cup Team of the Tournament: 2006
    FIFPro World XI: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    UEFA Club Football Awards Best Defender: 2005, 2008, 2009[96]
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009
    Chelsea Player of the Year: 2001, 2006

He's not stood trial yet so is technically innocent - the FA cocked up by taking away his captaincy and had to pay out a couple million to Fabio for it

16. UIR - Kagawa Powa

Hes not stood trial so is technically innocent......

erm........ except for the fact his trial will be a formality and hes on camera doing it. Yeh, innocent....

They cocked up giving him the captaincy at all.

Seriously, how can you defend this man. Your probably one of those who goes back to rios missed drugs test as a slur against Rio as its all you have yet the list of things terry did wrong would be something even the worst criminals would be proud of.

17. silkship

I don't think it is a formality- there is an alternative explanation that has been put forward. At this moment in time both are plausible. You've not assessed the full evidence objectively, I suspect you've watched a youtube video- edited and posted by an unnamed party.

Also, this trial isn't Terry versus Rio Ferdinand - it doesn't matter what Rio has done, I quite like him. Personally I don't think he applied himself in the same way Neville and Giggs did, although United did improve his concentration. Although I don't doubt his professionalism I have a nagging sense that the TV shows, restuarant and music ventures might be a better explanation as to why he is not in the squad than what has been suggested in the media. At one point he was world class though, 2002 stands out.

I'm not defending Terry here, I'm defending the law.

18. Big Ern

bang on. I've seen 2 different videos of the alledged racial abuse and they are slightly different, he definitley says 'you black ****' in one of them, but what he says immediatly prior to that is obscured by another players head, in the other he doesn't say anything prior to saying 'you BLIND ****', I don't like Terry, I think he's a useless egotistical **** TBH, but I believe his version of events because I've actually bothered to research it rather than jump on the bandwagon.

I just hate dick-heads who reach for the race card at every opportunity.

19. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

And there is the single biggest problem. The FA should have stepped in straight away and told Terry that he is suspended from England duty until he has cleared his name. That's what would happen to nearly anyother professional and if he believes he's innocent(as I'm sure he does) then he wouldn't have had the option to put the trial back and we'd already have a concrete answer of whether he should even be eligible for England or not. Most politicians are forced to resign when they're charged with any crime, let alone racism, so the whole guilty until proven innocent really doesn't fly anymore, there's nothing wrong stopping him playing for England until he clears his name.

In terms of the Terry/Ferdinand footballing debate, I think it comes down to how Hodgson wants England to play. My choice would be Rio and not taking Terry because I'd like to see us play attacking football with a high line which we all know Terry can't keep up with. Hodgson seems to want to set us up to play hoofball and defend in numbers, which suits Terry well. Eitherway, I'd say Rio would be the automatic pick and Terry the one you'd worry over so by leaving Rio out it suggests to me that they wanted to avoid additional controversy, which is non-football. I don't buy the fitness problems with Rio, he only played one less league game than Terry last season, I think it's an easy excuse to hide behind.

Ultimately, whilst I find racism deplorable there's no reason to blame Terry for all this as none of it should have been left in his hands. From tomorrow onwards I will be filled with positivity for all the squad(even Downing! <yikes> ) and will be 100% behind Hodgson :)

20. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

It was a footballing reason. As confirmed by his own club manager, Rio is incapable of playing a game every 4 days. I think SAF and his physios will know pretty well if Rio us up to the task. They say he isn't, so he's not an option. This whole furore over the 7th or 8th best choice for this championship is silly.