1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Formation

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Premier_Bound_Tiger, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Premier_Bound_Tiger

Premier_Bound_Tiger Well-Known Member

Just wondering what formation will we see used next season? The 3-5-2 served us well in the championship but I can't really see it working in the Premiership, especially when you look at the times Man City tried it this season and got ripped apart by the likes of Norwich.

I know Agnew has stated that we will continue with the 3-5-2 at least for pre-season but that asks the question why are we after renewing Rosenior's contract? And surely he will want assurance that he will play before he signs anything which suggests a 4 back formation?

I'd personally like to see us adapt a 4-2-3-1 as a feel it will benefit the attacking flair of Brady, Aluko and Boyd etc...
    However surely Bruce has a formation in mind, as correct me if I'm wrong but in the Summer transfer market don't you buy players to fit a system rather then buy players then fit a system around them?

2. disquietTiger

disquietTiger Active Member

I expecting us to play 3-5-2 till we get a hammering, then a 4-2-3-1 with 2 'full backs' (possibly one, with Elmo or Brady taking the other spot) with the wing backs as wingers.

For example

Chezzy Faye Hobbs
    Elmo - Meyler - Evans - Quinn - Brady
    Fryatt - Aluko

then

Rosenior - Chezzy - Hobbs - Brady/or LB
    Meyler - Quinn
    Elmo - Aluko - Winger/Brady
    Fryatt

I've used the players above to show what I think we'll do rather that the team we'll actually put out.

3. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

4-5-1 seems to be the obvious way to go.

4. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Formation wise, I want to see who Brucie brings in first,we may be in for a surprise.

5. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

I suspect that we shall see all the main types(352,442,433,4411,4231) of formations. Horses for courses. Who is available and who is not on the day. We need to mix it up and not be predictable. 3 - 5 - 2 though when played correctly works best for us.

As for Norwich ripping Man City to pieces ? were Man City bothered especially a week after the Wigan FAC Final mess ? maybe not.

6. The FRENCH TICKLER

You may be correct at places like Chelsea and Man Utd.

7. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Rather than being stuck to a single formation, I fully expect Brucie to adapt according to the players he wants to put out and the team we're playing against.

8. The FRENCH TICKLER

Maybe a 9-1 formation would work at say Man U and Chelsea. All hands to the pumps.

9. Marshyx

Marshyx Member

Last day of the season tactics worked well for me!

10. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Where's Mike Basset when you need him?

11. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I think we'll sign players so we can play a variety of formations. That's maybe why the Figueroa link (left back) and I'm sure that's why Rosenior has been retained so we can adopt 4 at the back if required.

12. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I'd play a little more old school and go for 4-2-4, 3-2-5 etc.

13. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Although it makes perfect sense, this never actually happens with us does it? I don't know if other teams do it more but for as long as I can remember we've just had a formation which we play every week regardless of opposition. Last year it was 3-5-2 and whilst we diverted to 4-4-2 a few times earlier on, but it wasn't down to the teams we were playing it was more to do with the players available at the time. In the PL we started off playing 4-3-1-2 against everyone and then changed to 4-5-1/4-6-0 against everyone.

In terms of formations it's never going to be 100% right. If we lose heavily playing 3-5-2 everyone will blame the formation, I think some people have already decided that's going to be the problem. If we start playing 4-5-1 as some people want, and we struggle to score goals people will also blame 4-5-1. One thing I know is I'd rather see us lose games going for it than doing so not even trying to attack. Can't stand teams like that. The 4-2-3-1 we played under Barmby was good on paper, but there was never enough men getting forward, the two sitting midfielders did just that; sat in their own half. The 3-5-2 this season rarely left us exposed at the back. I guess my point is that there's a lot more to it than the numbers we call a formation.

14. Willson

Willson Well-Known Member

I can't see it going at all well if we attempt to play 352, seriously hoping we play 4231:

--------------New Keeper-------------

Rosenior---Chester----Hobbs---Figuroa

----------Meyler----New CDM---------

------Elmo-----Aluko-----Brady-------

--------------New CF-----------------

15. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Makes no odds really, if he sticks with a formation he'll get whinged at, if he changes it, he'll get whinged at. Fans are always better managers, linesmen, refs and players than those in front of them.

16. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I'd go 4-2-4 (with our preferred targets)

Sinan Bolat

Rosenior ---- McShane ----- Chester ----- Figueroa

Meyler ---- Quinn

Elmohammady ---- -------- Brady

Aluko ------ Hooper

17. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

People read to much into formations. As long as players are played in there correct position then its all down to performance and mentality of players.

I think we'll see various formations through the season.

18. McGregor HU5

McGregor HU5 Well-Known Member

That comes down to formations though.

19. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I think he means as long as people aren't just buggering off out of position.

20. McGregor HU5

McGregor HU5 Well-Known Member

If you don't mind, I'm going to be a bitch for a second... Casual's use of the word "played" suggests that it is Bruce who should tell them to play in their best position, therefore Bruce and the formations fault if they play out of position. If he'd said "as long as players are playing in their correct positions" then what you posted would apply.

<cool>