1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fox & McManus Away? Crosas To Stay?

Discussion in 'Celtic' started by VenomPD, Jan 26, 2010.

1. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

Looks like Danny Fox will agree terms with Burnley today or tomorrow. If Mowbray has decided he isn't good enough then I admire the man for admitting that his own signing wasn't right, something Strachan clearly loathed doing. If he is being sold to balance the books then the board need shot.

Big Mick looks like going to team up with WGS on a four month loan deal with a view to a permanent move in the summer. In his first full season alongside Big Bobo the guy was a revelation. After he was given the captaincy and put beside Caldwell things went downhill from there. Whether it was the pressure of being captain, playing beside "Heid" or a mix of the two we'll never know.

Personally, I felt the 3 CB's badly let Celtic down last season. Every corner, free-kick and long throw was watched from behind my own hands or with my stomach in knots. Big Mick is obviously a Celtic fan to the core but at the end of the day; talent must come first. He can wear his heart on his sleeve and bleed green until doomsday it won't alter the fact he has become a liability every time he pulls on the jersey.

In regards to the "Crosas to Malaga" rumours, I'm hoping they are not true. The lad makes mistakes occasionally but these are outweighed by his range of passing from the middle. Scott Brown and N'Guemo have the delivery of a dyslexic postman. If Celtic are to play the passing game Mogga wants to play; then in my opinion the midfield should be built around this guy. He is already 22 but hasn't played 100 first team games yet for all his clubs combined. Give the lad the rest of the season in the middle and let him gain experience.

Anyone agree with selling Fox, Mick or Crosas? Or should we keep them?

2. anportmorbhoy

anportmorbhoy Well-Known Member

If we are selling Fox as we have someone better lined up then fine

If we are going to cash in on him and revert to Lee Naylor then i'll be very worried

If we are going to sell and bring in the33 year old Zinidine kilbane then i'll think about quitting watching them altogether

3. Magic Laudrup 11

Magic Laudrup 11 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was quite surprised reading that Fox was going to go, I thought he hadn't been too bad and is certainly better than Naylor. Is the scandinavian lad a replacement for him? Could be quite a risk if he is. Fair play to Mowbray though for admitting he made a mistake.

4. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

I agree Anport

Fox hasn't been the revelation that I thought he was at first. I think he was just that bit better than Naylor and that made me blinkered. Charlie Mulgrew is not the answer as the guy can't defend at all. He's worse than Naylor and Fox at defending if anything. Left backs are like hens teeth and I have a sneaking suspicion that the boy Misun is firmly in Mogga's radar as a long term replacement for Fox/Naylor. Wee Caddy did a fine job on Sunday and think Mowbray will be playing him there for the time being.

What about Crosas? Would you keep him?

5. anportmorbhoy

I like Crosas and would definately keep him.

He and N'Guemo play well together - althought theres not goign to be many goals between them.

He is composed on the ball and can pick a pass. We'd be very short in that position if we sell him. In fact with N'Guemo still away we have no natural central players other than him at the min.

He is a must to keep - until summer at least

Mick clearly isnt in Mowbrays plans - so can go. He's not goog enough. That said he is club captain - we shoudl be selling for cash to allow Mowbray some money to spend not sending him on loan.

Plus if we send on loan he may be found out before the deal is made permanent

6. Maltese Mick

Maltese Mick Guest

Venom this post is almost good enough to be moved to article in the homepage if it was slightly less structured like a forum post. Just a wee consideration if your gonna put the effort into decent posts like this in the future <whistle>

7. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

I was planning on writing it like an article but got a bit lazy.

8. Maltese Mick

Maltese Mick Guest

but it is opinionated enough to be a blog, although ill admit that ive never followed a blog in my life, well apart from CQN

9. Maltese Mick

Maltese Mick Guest

and to actually comment on the post...

why to hell would fox be an automatic starter when fit under Mowbray just for him to flog him after a few months?

Surely if he is being sold for such a low amount of money (we paid 1.5m - 2m for him) then it must mean that there is some sort of personal issue there.

10. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

Unless Mogga is getting rid of bad influences. Although he kept all those mental boys at Hibs and never punted Bednar after the coke issue at West Brom.

The goldfish bowl of Glasgow is getting to Mowbray, no doubt about it. Although I believe he has the character to make it to May and build a good team. The guy loves Celtic, the Celtic fans and is football to the core. It's the media he hates. Strachan at least had a bit of the rascal in him. Mowbray seems a bit put out by the beasting he has taken from the media. But I think he is personally hurt by an element of the support turning on him.

11. Bhoy From Brum

Bhoy From Brum Well-Known Member

Fox is only 22/23 & looked good so far this season & could develop in to a very good player in time. If we've doubled our money & have someone in mind then fine but I don't see how selling your left back when your trying to rebuild the defence works!!

Not a fan of letting McManus going on loan. He's the club captain ffs, what sort of message is that to the world when we let our skipper go to Boro on loan <doh> Just sell him for £2m <ok> No way Boro will want him permanently in the summer having had him play for them for 6 months <laugh>

Crosas must stay <ok> I think him & Brown will become a great partnership. With Crosas sitting deep & dictating the play & Brown making forward runs to support the front 2.

12. Mr G

Mr G Member

I have a fearing we are going to sign someone like Kilbane, some one who's not going to set the world on fire but will probably do the job once fox is gone.

I thought that the whole idea was for celtic to develope a player and then sell them at a profit?? (unfortunately)

13. Bhoy From Brum

Kilbane would do a job & available on loan perhaps till the summer? That would be my preference to get him for 6 months & get a new guy in the summer, unless we have someone on the radar.

I wouldn't want us to spend £1m/£2m on a fullback we're not sure of & sign him on a 5 year contract just because we need a fullback.

We can cover Zinedanes wages & keep some cash aside for a new fullback.

14. Thomas The Cat

Thomas The Cat Well-Known Member

Fox positionaly is shocking, and when your left center half is McManus or Loovens the dutch inernational <laugh> your going to be shown up.
    If the £2.5m we are said to have paid can be recouped I'd take it and have another go at sourcing a left back, sticking with Naylor is not an option, he is not a footballer in a million years.

15. Bhoy From Brum

TTC- we have what 5 days to find another leftback?

I'd get one on loan like a Zinedane Kilbane till the end of the season. Caddis & Wilson can play there too & Naylor is out of contract in the summer so i expect a £250k transfer to Ipswich/Boro before the end of the month.

I think we paid £1.5m for Fox, the remaining £1m based on appearances, trophies etc.

What we don't need is a guy bought in for the sake of it who we haven't scouted properly who's some mediocre, piss poor playerwho we're stuck with for 3 years.

16. Thomas The Cat

The guy that was on loan to motherwell would be a option, he done well in the SPL, knows what its about and would cost less than Fox.

17. Bhoy From Brum

18. Thomas The Cat

Yassin Moutaouakil

19. anportmorbhoy

I cant see Fox's price dropping between now and May - therefore if we dont have a replacement lined up why not keep him til the summer and scout someone over the next 4 1/2 months?

He's not the best - i'd happily get someone better in, but why flog him now unless we need the money to pay for a replacement?

Its like the Kenny Miller sale - good money - too good to turn down - but with no replacement why? We probably could have sold miller 5 months later for the same price

20. Bhoy From Brum

He's a rightback according to wiki, I thought Hammel was there leftback?