1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

From The Manager's Mouth - Dempsey Wants Out

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Fulhaman, Aug 17, 2012.

1. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

DR - Great post. You should write a novel.

Bandit - I think you're right. If he does ever pull on a Fulham shirt again he'll probably play out of his skin. There was a game two seasons ago where he threw his toys out of the pram because Sparky took him off and there was much debate over whether he should start the next match or ought to be dropped. He started, scored twice, and we won. Not quite the same situation now, but it's what he does. If no deal is done then making him spend the first two weeks of the season on the naughty step could be a stroke of managerial genius by Jol.

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I did try using a smiley once, Bidley, and I couldn't get it to work. I think it was my computer's way of telling me not to pretend I was young and cool any more.

3. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

I meant to add ... feel free to add to the story, if you feel the urge.

Bandit and Captain .. I agree completely. Dempsey should just eat his humble pie and come back to the squad. I suspect we've all been in his place to one degree or another - though never so public. That first day back will be aweful, but each day it will get better and better. By November, I think everyone will have forgotten about it.

Captain, I've written a couple of novels (political crime and one about life in the music industry) but could never get them published through the normal route. I finally gave up about a year ago after sending query letters to about 1,000 literary agents. But if amongst our friendly group of bloggers there's a literary agent, let me know ...

4. Captain Morgan

I'm about to gear up for another serious crack at getting some of my children's fiction published (that is, fiction I write with a target readership of children, not fiction written by my children). If I get a foot in the door, DR, I'll see what contacts might be of use for you. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting though!

5. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

fantastic player, would love him at SAFC but asking too much as we have just spent about £22m, which i am delighted about.

6. dempsey's revenge

Captain ... good luck with book. I've probably spent 5000 hours on writing and trying to get published without much to show for my efforts beyond a few rejection letters from agents. But I don't regret trying. I loved writing the books and the people that read them said they were better than most of the fiction they'd read that year.

If you love to write, you'll do it no matter what the outcome might be. But the writers who are in it for money are almost certain to face a nasty surprise. I have two friends who've been published through the regular process - both would say they'd earned about 1 cent an hour for their efforts.

7. Moorsleymountainman

Moorsleymountainman Active Member

Without taking the bait, have you ever been norf of Watford. Sunderland is a "City" by the way. I agree, the "City" centre is not the best but no footballers live in Sunderland. The ground is in Sunderland to which footballers "visit" 2/3/4 times a month maximum and then leave. Durham, Wynyard & Ponteland are the 3 favourites areas to live. Durham (2 miles from me) is a stunning part of the country. Just because London is given 99% of England's budget (to which we all contribute) it doesn't mean it's all rosy down there. Anway could yabba on but I can't be arsed...

8. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

The point.

You missed it.

Dempsey said ages ago he wanted CL football. Then he wanted to go to Liverpool (no CL football, maybe in 3/4 years). Now it looks like his only option is Sunderland, which is arguably a sideways step and not the reason he wanted to leave in the first place.

DR's post had nothing to do with Sunderland as a geographical location.

9. Moorsleymountainman

Moorsleymountainman Active Member

Ah, I get it, just read a few posts and sounded like a bit of a dig at my beloved NE. (Can't have that)
    Well, if he comes here he can have CL next year (tongue firmly in cheek) Tbh, I don't think we are in for him although really strong vibes up here.. and.. for any player to "refuse" to play would be starting off way down for me. (Even though Sess did it for his move and we all love him)
    I also think Fulham and Sunderland are on par and will both be around 8-12..but money talks..He seems to have messed up down there so will have to go somewhere.

10. Captain Morgan

That sounds about right from my experiences too, DR. In several attempts at getting my stories published I consistently managed to fail better but no more. But with my work situation changing (as of the beginning of next week), I'm going to have more time to write the kind of thing that I want to write and less time writing what I have to, so I'm going to set aside some quality time for fiction (alongside the bill-paying stuff) and see where that takes me. I'll keep you posted (probably in McBride's - sorry for sending this one so far off-topic, everyone).

11. dempsey's revenge

Sorry about the work situation, Captain. I wouldn't wish stress like that on a QPR fan. Contact me off-line of you want me to read anything you've written.

12. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Agreed with all. Jol seems to be fairly open to Demps playing for us again, but I think Clint has had his nose put out of joint and just wants to go anywhere now just to save face.

13. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

The answer that would suit all is for Demps to buy out his contract,
    4/5mil. he could then be a free agent and sell his services to the highest bidder.

14. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

What a brilliant thought rosc. That used to happen (well occasionally) before Agents took over.

15. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

No Dempsey and no Dembele, but don't worry we've got Kieran Richardson. How ****ing depressing.

16. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Richardson for the £2m being mentioned. I've said all along that an experienced winger would be on my shopping list.

However the crucial point is this: he is not and cannot be a replacement for Dembele. That's the problem. Where can we find anyone who can do Dembele's job?

On an aside, I would love Dempsey to back down and come back. The guy is still a massive fan favourite, that's the only reason there has been such an issue for most of us. If both sides can back down and let him play out his contract... maybe having him back in the fold for a season will help distract from losing Dembele.

17. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

The suggestions I would make to Jol on how to spend the money from Dempsey and Dembele would be

Buy the following

Dries Martin from PSV
    Marten Maartens from AZ Alkmaar
    Derek Boteng from Dnipro

Matis Suarez from Anderlecht
    or Nicklas Helenius Jensen from Aalborg

18. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Now I understand how these welsh suicide pacts work.

19. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

I wish - now I see why you manage the top team in the Fantasy League, SuperBri. I understand Boateng wants a move and surely we can now afford him.

20. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Thanks I try to watch European football, all the above players have impressed me. They are not Household names who we couldn't afford like Messi, but I think they are players who like Dembele could come to us and be tested to see if they could be Premier League players.
    Boateng played well against us in both games, and at the time I said we should put in an offer, but I think they'd only just bought him.