1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Future England (fantasy) sides?

Discussion in 'England' started by Poolliver LallanaDelRey, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

Lets get Started

Now I for one am bored of the current system. Unlike some of you however I can see it's advantages, but in my opinion we play very boring football and we look foolish when it does not pay off (Just like yesterday).

Some of state that lack technical quality (so we are forced to play this way) and though I am inclined to agree with you after yesterday; I do think we have players that can give us a more "technical" option.

My Future England side:

----------------------------------- Hart(C) -----------------------------------

Walker (RWB)-------- Richards (CB) --------- Jones (CB)------------ Cole (LWB)

--------------------------------Carrick (CDM)---------------------------------

-------------------Wilshere (RAM) ---------- Cleverley (LAM)-------------------

--------Sturridge (RF / RW)--------Rooney (CF)--------- Young (LF /LW)--------

Subs and other options:

Goalkeepers
    Green
    Ruddy

Midfield
    Parker (switch for Rodwell)
    Oxlade-Chamberline (For an Attacking midfield player or winger)
    Gerrard (for any midfield role)*
    Henderson (A Cleverley replacement)

*Gerrards legs are not what they used to be; in 2 years time this may also be questionable. This is why I have Gerrard outside the first 11. He would still play when needed as he is a class option. However we need to build a system that does not rely on Gerrard playing.

Defenders
    Smalling
    Terry (If we need to change to a more disciplined system)
    Kelly (Can play as a disciplined CB or a disciplined RB)
    Baines*

*With Ashley Cole playing a role which requires legs; at his age he may not be up for a full 90 minutes (In 2 years time); he may also not play every game, this is why I have Baines as more of a rotational substitute

Attacking
    Walcott (Gives us pace when we need it)
    Sinclair (He would play a similar system to this at Swansea)
    Welbeck
    Carroll (Provides and Ariel option and would be good to knock the ball on for the players around him)

The system
    Lets look at the back line; In my opinion this is a very aggressive and football capable back line thus linking up with our midfield better and hopefully providing quicker service. A very differnt back line to what say Terry and lescott can offer which is by far much more conservative and if you do not mind the expresion "anti-technical".

In midfield firstly we have a holding midfielder this is the player which would be used to protect the defense as well and making it possible for the other midfielders to attack, look ahead and roam. This is something England have lacked before and would help players such as Wilshere out a great deal. This would also benefit our attack.

Our attack would play though the wings enabling our attacking midfielder to go forward and join in to what could be a 4 or 5 player attack.

Surprise Inclusions:
    I have tried to make my fantasy future squad young, therefore you may see many players that you personally may want to switch for an older player.

In terms of picking Henderson; I do believe this guy is yet to peak; he is apparently the most skillfull player in the Liverpool squad (however yet to bring this to a match based environment much like Joe Cole) and I feel he would perform better providing he had less defensive requirments asked of him.

Another surprising inclusion may be Ashley Young after his awful performance in Euro 2012; however I feel he would suit the new system and play true to his club form.

However

However this is just the squad I would pick. Who would you pick to represent England and why?

Updates
    I have decided having both Rodwell and Parker in the team is a slight overkill. I have replaced Rodwell with Carrick who is also much better on the ball anyways in my opinion.

In terms of Ashley Cole. I was probably wrong, he has been our best Left back for 30 years. Although I feel Baines had another cracking year making it in to the PFA's team of the year, Cole does have the edge and has proven himself internationally. I admit I was wrong here. I have moved Baines to the bench

I have now explained why Gerrard is not in my starting line up. Likewise how I would play Ashley Cole and Baines

2. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Not sure what point in the future would have both Rodwell, Terry and Parker in it. Rodwell hasn't really kicked on over the past couple of seasons so I'm not so sure he'd be good enough for international level any time soon, if ever. Pretty much all the youngsters you've picked are some way off being better than what we already have, Wilshere, Walker and perhaps Smalling being the exceptions. As for Carroll, he showed yesterday how far off from being a good player he is with a 60 minute cameo resulting in a 53% passing accuracy, 3 fouls and one shot off target. The pressure of a big money move and getting taken to the Euros both appear to have knocked him a long way back, in my opinion. Then again you have to hesitate about picking Rooney when he plays as badly as he did.

Not having a go just giving my opinion.

My squad for the first qualifier would be: Hart, Richards, Jagielka, Lescott, Cole, Walcott, Lampard, Wilshere, Young, Rooney, Welbeck; Ruddy, Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Baines, Lennon, Milner, Parker, Johnson, Gerrard, Sturridge and an extra GK that no one really gives a **** about. Assuming all are fit and playing well of course too.

3. Pete Doherty

Pete Doherty New Member

Hart

Richards
    Smalling
    Jones
    Cole

Wilshere
    Carrick

Johnson
    Cleverley
    Young

Rooney

Subs:
    Butland
    Ruddy
    Walker
    Cahill
    Baines
    Rodwell
    Gerrard
    Chamberlain
    Sturridge
    Redmond
    Carroll
    Welbeck

4. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

1. Not sure what point in the future would have both Rodwell, Terry and Parker in it..

My theory behind Parker and Rodwell is they would be used as "Holding midfielders" to do the dirty work so that other players can move forward to do the more technical side. My theory is every team needs a defensive midfielder in order to make there attacks free flowing; Spain for example have Sergio Busquets and play him in front of Fabregas.

Looking back though; i do agree, maybe having Parker and Rodwell in the team is a tad overkill. Especially when we have a certain Carrick who can control the ball as well as play the defensive role.

Carrick in.. Rodwell Out..

In terms of Terry and Kelly; they give the side a different sort of defender (In case of emergency) this is in case the game changes for whatever reason and we have to sit back and defend (as we have been doing); it basically means we can change how the team plays on the day with minimal substitutes. Likewise this is why I included Carroll.

2. Pretty much all the youngsters you've picked are some way off being better than what we already have, Wilshere, Walker and perhaps Smalling being the exceptions.

I feel Cleverly can bring more to our team "technically" than a lot of players we had at this tournament, though I admit Henderson is a punt (I have explained this :) ).

Jones is also quite promising and is more of a "technical" center back; although he hasn't proved his worth yet, he has made it in to one of the most glorified premier league teams in England and has shown glimpses of being a good player for England; worth his chance in my personal opinion.

Sturridge has had a strong season for Chelsea despite having a bit of a blip towards the end of the season. He will certainly begin to feature in our international team soon.

I feel it is better to build for the future than trying to get the best out of the failed crop and golden generation of English football. This is just my opinion however I do see where you are coming from.

3. As for Carroll, he showed yesterday how far off from being a good player he is with a 60 minute cameo resulting in a 53% passing accuracy, 3 fouls and one shot off target. The pressure of a big money move and getting taken to the Euros both appear to have knocked him a long way back, in my opinion. Then again you have to hesitate about picking Rooney when he plays as badly as he did.

Now I may be slightly biased here; however i thought Carroll played well in one of the earlier games; and in terms of the last game, no played really looked there best. Andy Carroll gives our side another option look at him as our Fernando Llorente if you will. He can be used well if we simply give him service and get players around him to play off his headers. He is not a Technical option but he is a good game changer if needed, reducing again the amount of substitutions that we make in order to change the game.

In terms of Rooney; he is a player who frustrated me and I did indeed hesitate when i was drawing up my formation; however I do believe in a Manchester United shirt the boy is a match winner and probably one of the best players in the world (not joking surprisingly). In the formation i drew up I played Wayne Rooney along side two others in a front 3. I believe this is because Rooneys link up play is one of his best aspects and if we give him players to link up with we can get the best out of him. Of course I have provided a lot of striking options so Wayne Rooney would not be a certain starter.

I will have a dig at him why i am here though; his England performances have been dire and he should defiantly not be waltzing his way in to the starting line up so easily. Perhaps threaten to not play him at all unless he actually performs well? <steam>.

4. an extra GK that no one really gives a **** about.

Haha! So true!

5. Keith Fit

Keith Fit Well-Known Member

The principal of changing tactics is sound, for sure. But it's not England's way to be able to play a la Wenger's Arsenal, which is where this tactic comes from more or less. Instead, England should not abandon its' principles of being solid defensively and instead go for the 4-2-3-1, in my opinion.

Also, I don't agree with a couple of your selections - I think England have been one of the worst culprits of picking players out of position and I don't see how Richards & Jones makes a good CB partnership when there's not really a lot Cahill and Jagielka have done wrong. Similarly Johnson played pretty well at RB, and Ashley Cole remains our best lb. I'm not so convinced about this need to bin off the oldies - would Andrea Pirlo have been binned off in your team? For me, it's about a system with defined roles and responsibilities. Jose Mourinho always said you need 22 players to win things, two per position. So that's what I'd like to see from England. Allowing for form, my squad would look like:

GK: Hart <capt> (Amos)
    RB: Johnson (Walker)
    LB: Cole (Baines)
    CB: Cahill (Terry)
    CB: Lescott (Jagielka)

DM: Wilshere (Barkley)
    DM: Rodwell (Huddlestone)
    CAM: Gerrard (Shelvey? Zaha? McEachran?)

RM/RW: Walcott (Sturridge)
    CF: Rooney (Welbeck)
    LM/LW: Ox (Young)

A lot can change; maybe Henderson or Shelvey will improve, maybe Zaha or Clyne will transfer and impress, maybe Sammy Ameobi will get better, then there's Micah Richards, Martin Kelly, Will Keane, Delfuoneso....but what I would say is that we have to go with a style that just works for the players we have. We should forget the days of target men, of workhorses and put some talent in there. Sure, we have to be ruthless and cut the likes of Parker, Barry, Carroll and so on out, but that's just how it goes. Picking a player on form is utter rubbish - it's only valid if they fit into the system. I think Rooney's CF role is less traditional in this style, but so there would be an expectancy on the Ox and Walcott to both cut in, make a front three, then drop back to have a midfield 5. Just makes sense to me.

6. Le God

Le God Member

Rooney in all of your teams LOL this a comedy thread?

7. No Kane No Gain

No matter what tactic we use, we should definitely play 11 players Nedders! <yikes>

8. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

That was a really great post; Some of your views contrast mine however you do make good points :).

You have to consider my system is very much built around attacking principles rather than the native defensive ones. Everyone player in my back four has the ability to control the ball and almost merge with the midfield, they could play the high line and bring more confidence into our team (much like what Ferdinand did for us in his prime).

Your selection of Cahill and Lescott / Jagielka makes sense. As you have set up your England team to play more solidly in terms of defense and you are playing what would be native to the players; I consider this the wiser option due to the way England players are brought through but not one i would be as fond to see.

In terms of Ashley Cole. I was probably wrong, he has been our best Left back for 30 years. Although I feel Baines had another cracking year making it in to the PFA's team of the year, Cole does have the edge and has proven himself internationally. I admit I was wrong here.

Funny enough this is just how I would have Rooney set up as well :cheesy:

9. No Kane No Gain

Fair enough, Poolliver, there's no real answers and you've thought it all through. I mentioned Rooney because I was criticising Carroll predominantly on his Italy performance and didn't want to ignore that he was by no means the only underperformer. Carroll scored a good goal against Sweden but I didn't see him working well with his teammeates so I still don't see him as a realistic option for that role.

I change my mind all the time though, I wasn't in favour of players playing in different positions to those they play at club football pre tournament but Walcott who I've never seen play well in a 442 was one of our better players and I've also picked Sturridge in a different role than he plays for Chelsea :D

10. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

----------------Hart-------------------
    Richards--Jones(c)---Smalling--Baines--
    ---------------Rodwell-----------------
    -----Cleverly----------Wilshere---------
    Sturridge------------------Oxlade-Chamberlain
    --------------Welbeck-----------------

11. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

You need to have some experience in the side - I would still pick Ashley Cole at LB for the World Cup campaign.
    Gerrard was our best player and Terry also did all right and would pair him with Cahill.
    For me the big one to come in will be young Wilshere - he will help us keep the ball

12. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

Agreed on Ashley Cole. He will be 33 by the world cup and thus is younger than I thought he would be thus I am restoring him to my starting 11. However my formation would put quite a bit of strain on the wing so I would probably start to use him in conjunction with Baines as he got older.

I have said why I have put Terry on the bench above.

As for Gerrard, he was our best player but i feel we need to move on, with all due respect he does not have the discipline to be a defensive midfielder in my opinion. He is also not as great at going forward as he used to be; he can provide good long passes however I feel Carrick would also offer this as well as discipline meaning we would not need a player like Parker to back him up defensively. I would perhaps play Gerrard in rotation or in front of Cleverley in my team. This is due to Cleverley experence and Gerrards class.

But face it; Gerrard is loosing his legs a little (as hard as it is to say) and come the world cup he will be even slower going forward. (My prediction)

13. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

It's clear Hart is our #1 keeper...and even at 33, Ash Cole will still be our best LB

Parker will be 33 which is probably too old but right now we're struggling for alternatives.

Hart

Johnson - Cahill - Lescott - A. Cole

Parker

J.Cole Wilshere

Young Rooney Sturridge

14. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Nobody on here even giving a mention to Jake Livermore. Last season, he impressed me more than Rodwell has ever done. Needs to kick on and get into their first team and with Parker getting on, he could get into their team sooner rather than later.

15. theblues

theblues Member

Hart
    Walker, Cahill, Terry, Baines
    Wilshere, Gerrard
    Ox, Rooney, Cleverley
    Welbeck

Subs:
    Butland, Ruddy
    Jones, Smalling, Johnson, Lescott
    Rodwell, Walcott, Young, Milner
    Carroll, Sturridge

There's also a host of other names that may come good in the next couple of years. Powell, Barkley, Stockdale, Gibbs, Shawcross, Lallana, Henderson, Sinclair, Adam Johnson and Ince are all still young and relatively unproven, so the above squad may still be pretty different from what I've put down. It all depends on who shines through for their club and almost as importantly, which club they play for.

16. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

The player deserves a mention. He certainly does look like an impressive prospect; I must confess I tilted more to Rodwell as I know the player better and Rodwell himself is in the mold of a defensive midfielder (something my team requires strongly in order for the rest of the midfield to flourish). Livermore is a player playing more in the Jenas role for me, I am not sure if he is as good defensively as people say, but a very good prospect nonetheless.

I guess with a lot of our youth we just have to wait and see. Mind you I have given the role of defensive midfielder to two experienced players Carrick and Parker. As they have a Vital job in the team protecting the defense. (Carrick also has great technical passing ability in my opinion).

17. No Kane No Gain

He's got a lot of admirable qualities but I've yet to see anything he'd add anything to the England team. Parker's only 31 and players like him who shun the limelight and work hard on their fitness tend to stick around a lot longer, plus Sandro would still be ahead of him and is a better prospect. I'd love to be proven wrong on Livermore but I see Caulker as the most likely to have an England career and I think Tom Carroll's progress over the next couple of seasons should be very interesting.

18. Keith Fit

Keith Fit Well-Known Member

:shocked:

:cheesy:

Fixed...

:emoticon-0103-cool:

19. theHotHead

theHotHead New Member

I fail to see the point of this thread, none of the teams suggested provide me with any kind of enthusiasm, optimism or excitement :(

Goes to show how lacking England really is in quality players.

20. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

No offence; but I do not think we are lacking at all.. Sorry for choking you out a little but please try to be optimistic :emoticon-0103-cool:.

But honestly I struggle to see where abouts in my squad at least we lack "quality". I do admit that Cleverley, Sinclair and Henderson were all punts, but the others are set up to play pivot-able roles for there respected clubs and will be top players.