1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gas Vs MK Dons/Charlton Thread And Poll

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gasheadseamge79, Nov 17, 2016.

?

Points Won

Poll closed Nov 20, 2016.
  1. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 2

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. 6

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Im missing the game tonight due to illness. Chest and throat infection :(

2. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Well, well, we do seem to have hit a bad patch which I suppose was liable to happen after a brilliant start.
    Getting hammered at home by a team below us is exceptionally hard to take.
    The reaction of DC and the boys is going to be an interesting watch.

3. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bet your gutted you didn't go<laugh>

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I listened to the game tonight. We didnt do too bad by the sounds of things during the 1st half and was pretty unlucky or shall I say, as usual we were not clinical or ruthless. We had chances, good chances in fact but failed to take 1. Charlton however has 2 chances and scores them both.
    2nd half DC makes a double sub at half time. Instead of that giving us that impetus, Charlton scored very early and that was game set match. DC immediately made the 3rd sub which soon after gave us a big issue as unfortunately Salter got injured which is apparently a broken arm! Now down to 10 men, DC could have learnt a lesson from the Millwall game being down to 10 men and losing 3-0. Damage limitation. But DC dont do damage limitation. He still wanted to go for it as he believes in the squad but it sounded like some of the players had given up and had their heads down. That made it inevitable that we were going to lose by more. But it sounded like the fans appreciated that DC didnt want to give up and they got behind the team. I dont think any set of home fans would want to see their team sit back and play damage limitation and get dominated. It was nice to hear the fans sing right to the end and applaude the team instead of booing. That im sure would give DC and the players a lift.

We are still top 10 and only a win away from the play offs. Could be worse!

old timer and bs3 gas like this.
  5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Also, Karl Robinson was watching in the stands who is reported to be the new Charlton manager so their players would have been keen to impress!

6. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

We need a few clean sheets and ugly wins now to get things back on track. We're shipping far too many goals and the lads will lose confidence if they keep getting hammered.

7. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Mortified.

8. bs3 gas

bs3 gas Well-Known Member

Just got back, and as CJS said I thought our fans were brilliant. Made me proud to be a gashead.

9. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

bs3 gas how many sets of supporters do you know who stand and applaud their team off after a 5-1 drubbing even after that defeat last night I felt proud to be a Gashead. I thought Charlton were a good side but we were unlucky to be 2 down at half time their keeper made a good save and the defender threw himself to his left to head another goal bound shot out for a corner if they had gone in then we would have had a different match but we still need to be more clinical in front of goal. After we went down to 10 men I thought that the work rate of some of the players was better than I have seen for a long time. I try not to knock any player who wars the Blue and white quarters but Harrison last I think put in a shift better than I have ever seen from him near the end I saw him sprinting back to help out in defence something I have not seen to often from him. Were the supporters shouting ROOS last night or were they BOOING our keeper before the game began as I wasn't sure which it was.

During last Saturdays match with M K Dons their defender Hendry got a knock on the head, when he was told to leave the pitch as he had had treatment he was stood on the touch line in front of where I was stood, all of a sudden he really glared at the supporters stood in front of him. I was told last night at the match he indicated that he had been hit on the side of his head by something thrown from the crowd, I hope this isn't true because serious injury could happen to a player and of course the club could get into serious trouble for it

bs3 gas likes this.
  10. old timer

Jake Salter-Clarke out for 8 - 12 weeks

11. Gastronomic

I really think DC needs to take stock because we're shipping far too many goals. It's unlucky to have one result like this now and again but we can't afford a habit. MK Dons could have run up a similar score at their place, and then there was Millwall. I think he should put up the shutters for a couple of games to steady the ship and get a few clean sheets. I think there are signs that we don't defend well from the front, or when we haven't got the ball. If you look at the number of long range shots or long mazey runs that we're letting happen at the moment it's inviting trouble.

Quilllogic likes this.
  12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Central defender Jake Clarke-Salter could be out of action for between eight to twelve weeks following the injury he sustained in last night’s game against Charlton Athletic.

The official diagnosis is that he has a fracture dislocation of his elbow.

He was taken to A&E last night, under sedation, and spent the night in hospital. He is undergoing surgery this morning and is likely to remain in hospital for at least another night.

Everyone at Bristol Rovers wishes Jake a speedy recovery.

http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/jakes-injury-3431954.aspx#K1bGxZhYyvShrBS9.99

old timer likes this.
  13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I didnt see the game so I am only going by the highlights but I think Roos could have done so much better for the 1st 3 goals. 1st goal was a deflection but he didnt look like he made an effort. 2nd goal he didnt make himself big enough and could have done better as a result. 3rd goal the header went straight to him but somehow it went in like the keeper had slippery gloves on. Could sound harsh but thats the opinion I have based on what I have just seen! Shame the highlights didnt show our 1st half chances like when we hit the pst and the many Taylor chances that went straight to their keeper.

14. Gastronomic

An elbow's a really nasty injury because it is such a complicated joint. Rehabilitation has to be really careful otherwise you can get setbacks such as a ruptured bicep. It's a horrible injury.

15. Gastronomic

There weren't enough bodies on the line, I'm afraid. People standing off, not marking, allowing runs and crosses that shouldn't have happened. All the goals look pretty soft in my opinion. And one of their players stunned their keeper with a direct hit just before the penalty.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  16. old timer

I was surprised to see their keeper get yellow carded for the penalty from where I was stood it looked like defender brought him down. I also have to admit that I thought he would save it such was our luck last night, also noticed that the linesman didn't flag for the penalty
    I don't know whether it's just me but I was baffled by our mid field last night, the only time Chris Lines ran direct at their defence with the ball it caused panic but he kept going wide and didn't give the fullback or the wingers room to manoeuvre they didn't seem to want to close down their opponents and Rory Gaffney seemed to spend more time helping out the defence than playing as a striker. Did they give a MOM award or were they to embarrassed

17. bs3 gas

bs3 gas Well-Known Member

I don't think they gave a MOM award last night. If they did they should have gave it to the supporters.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  18. Gastronomic

I think they should study the MK Dons(a), Millwall and Charlton games carefully, because I reckon there are a few alarming patterns which they need to try and address.

19. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah somethings not right the goals we're shipping is totally unacceptable.

Quilllogic likes this.
  20. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

1st goal unlucky deflection.
    2nd goal Leadbitter switched off
    3rd goal the header was powerful but maybe Roos should've kept it out
    4th goal deflected so Roos was badly deceived
    5th goal Roos was so slow to react, for me he should have saved it.

It was a collective off night. Nobody seemed to be able to pass for toffee, and we played into Charlton's hands. The first half was a close game and we had chances, so if we'd been able to put one away it could have been a different story. The second half was probably the longest I've ever had to endure, it was a slow and painful death of sorts, and it was just uncharacteristic mistake after uncharacteristic mistake.

The Rovers fans were remarkable. The Charlton fans were pathetic considering the score. Big shame about Clarke-Salter, I think he's a class act.

We will only find out how this result and performance affects us by the end of the Chesterfield game. DC has usually been able to get a response in the past, like after we lost to Chesham last year we followed it up by beating Carlisle.