1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic GENERAL ELECTION CALLED - 8th JUNE 2017

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Apr 18, 2017.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

It's not rocket science really just consider running up a £30k credit card bill and then paying back the minimum payment every month. The debt never goes away it just increases all the time because you end up borrowing more to meet your other monthly commitments. The problem is that there comes a time when that debt will be called in and failure to pay could see you bankrupt.

Labour with the shackles of the Trade Unions also has a history of throwing good money after bad trying to keep outdated industry going, remember all those sh1t cars coming out of British Leyland and Tony Benn throwing money at the outdated Meridan plant where Triumph Motorcyles were still being manufactured to a design decades old?

The Trade Unions were holding the country to ransom in the 70s demanding unrealistic wages for poor quality products, producing inferior goods to those being imported from abroad at a cheaper price. Reliable, well built cars and motorcyles at far more competitive prices mainly from Japan at the time killed off our motor industries and like it or not it was the Trade Unions that were the cancer that did so.

Younger posters won't remember those dark days, but don't be fooled by Corbyn and his cronies as they are on a mission to take us back there to try and realise their idealistic, unrealistic dream of a Marxist state <ok>

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  2. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

You're confusing internal and external.

Internally the EU is broadly free trade between states. Externally I agree it is quite protectionist, like every other trade bloc in the world. The EU has the advantage that it is at least the closest to free trading of the blocs, but yes it (obviously) is not there yet.

Post-Brexit, we are talking about our external relationship. You cannot both promote free trade and promote protectionism externally.

3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

That is kind of the balance I think we need to carefully strike. Encourage domestic trade first, trade more freely in areas that we are less able to service ourselves. E.g. for now that means power stations, but I would like to see an emphasis on getting back skills and developing a domestic sector that could bring back a degree of self reliance. Public sector projects should always look to a competitive domestic supplier before external options in my opinion. For example, the police and other public services should look to buy cars manufactured in the UK (it's pretty much impossible to buy one by a british owned firm!), it will still benefit the foreign owners, but it keeps people employed here. Private companies would continue to be unrestricted unless tariffs are put upon us by Europe, in which case we tariff right back at them.
    i just think we should always look to have our builders building, our plants manufacturing and our people trained and developed first to fill our nations needs. Yes that is protectionist as you say. But the corperate race to the bottom for wages does so few people good, with cheaper imports of, people and products eroding our wealth. A government should make decisions to better their peoples prospects not a corperate bottom line!

Bah!

carrowcanario, DUNCAN DONUTS and KIO like this.
  4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

5. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I can think of 49 Billion reasons why Corbyn will not be elected. <ok>

6. Canary Rob

All of those proposals look very much like what voters want <ok> and I can see the merit in them.

But it wouldn't be free trade! (I know you're not saying it would be, I just mean that the Tories are bare-faced lying when they say we'll be free trading buccaneering Brits)

7. Canary Rob

Is that the exit fee the Tories will be gifting Europe to rescue our economy? ;)

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  8. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

9. General Melchett

Leaving the EU will make it easier to trade with some nations outside of the EU though, so whilst not free trade, we will have greater freedom to trade outside the block........well at least in theory. Depends what deals are done.

Bah!

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anyone with the swear filter switched on might wish to ignore this as it contains some fairly ripe language. But the message is valid - and it's too good not to post ... zigazig ha! <ok>

chinacanary likes this.

11. Canary Rob

Here's hoping! <ok>

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

13. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

chinacanary and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  14. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I can think of 918 Billion reasons why the Tories shouldn't be trusted. <ok>

canary-dave likes this.
  15. Canary Rob

Hopefully.

But I would point out that there you are quoting a free market fanatic who argues for pretty much the opposite of what Melchett and others set out above. Personally, I think it's the latter who count because that's what the country voted for. I don't think we're getting free trade simple because I don't think the majority of voters want it.

The problem that bloke makes, as with most ideological extremists, is he thinks everyone will follow his logic and behave with absolute economic rationalism. This completely forgets the human element. The bit where people vote with their heart. The bit where politicians act by what they think will get them votes. We voted for Brexit ffs, we are not economic rationalists!

Don't get me wrong, I personally hope he's right because I (to a lesser extent) support free trade. But I think we have to face the reality of humans being humans and one man's economic rationalism is another man's heartless cultural destruction. <ok>

16. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I watch all of these videos from Jonathan Pie, Brilliant comedy sketches with some serious food for thought a lot of the time

DHCanary and Walsh.i.am like this.
  17. General Melchett

The voters don't negotiate the Brexit deal though. The politicians will do what's best for them and their financial backers. Just have to hope they align with ours, though i doubt it.

Bah!

Canary Rob and carrowcanario like this.
  18. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

This made me <laugh> - and feel physically :emoticon-0119-puke: at the same time :(
    A fairer society for all (that can afford to live in it - an ever decreasing number!)

please log in to view this image

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Corbyn is a good man with some good ideas but he's the leader of a party that would stab him in the back at a minutes notice , and new labour are the same as the Tories just not quite so evil.

I won't be voting as I want the Tories to get us out of the EU but they will ruthlessly step on the weak and unstable with thier policies.

On a side note my brother in law earns about £200k a year and his daughters got free school meals , seems pretty daft to me .

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Sorry, but I can't find it in me to have a single ounce of support for a
    manipulating bitch that does stuff like this <grr>

Canary Rob, ncgandy and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.