1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Sports Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, Oct 24, 2016.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I must have missed Hamilton not being a prima donna!!

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

In fairness when he first started in F1 he was alright. He was actually quite pleasant in his GP2 years too - I met him a couple of times back then and he was always unfailingly polite and humble.

The money and fame has gone to his head - and his concept of 'celebrity' - and it's turned him into a cock.

davecg69 likes this.
  3. fatletiss

I was referring to Liebherrs Legacy saying "after two years of not being a prima Donna".... I must have blinked!!

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

I have to agree, as you know I'm a fan of his and I certainly think he's the better driver. But as you say Rosberg has upped his game and so far has driven better this season.

In a way it's similar to the Fury Klitschko fight. Fury fought above a level he ever had before in his career and Klitschko fought below previous levels.

Even know I know you and others don't like him. I think skill alone he's comfortably the better driver and most will acknowledge that. Just been been under the par this year.

He has been unlucky with retirements but as someone mentioned on here before, his driving style may have contributed to it. Similar to road cars I suppose... an aggresive driver will get problems before a sensible one.

As I've said I think Hammy has no chance bar a dnf, and even though I want him to win, if that happens I hope it's not in the final race.

5. Le Tissier's Laces

Yeah, I agree, he is the better driver. Which kind of makes Rosberg's focus and success this season all the more impressive in all honesty. It's a bit like Trump vs Clinton for me - I mean, I don't like either of them, but if I have to make a choice....it's Clinton/Rosberg rather than the 'personality'.

Give me years of Dani Ric and Verstappen over those two any day.

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah he's always been like that and if that's someones personality then it will never go away fully.

We may see it differently but from when he first came on the scene I was thought he was a bit of a cocky prick. Then I thought he toned it down a bit for a couple yeaes as he realised people were starting to hate him for it.

It seems to have come out a lot more again this season with his actions in press conference etc.
    It may be that it's come out more this year cos things haven't gone his way, which probably says quite a lot about the sorta person he is tbh.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh certainly, he's most definitely not my favourite driver on the track... the two you mention along with Bottas and a couple of others are all some of my favourites.

I just like Hamilton cos he's bloody good and I like his aggresive style... in a sport that is becoming increasingly more dull (want of better word/phrase) his style is exciting as he takes risks etc. Similar to Verstappen I suppose... it's exciting.

Also - this may sound weird - but due to his talent I think with a couple more titles he'll probably go down as one of the greatest ever (or at least in his era/generation)... and I dunno I just think it would be kinda nice to have a Brit remembered as one of the best in his sport... we don't have too many <laugh>

8. Le Tissier's Laces

We have a few of them already in F1!

But yeah, I do take your point, and I've never denied his skill. He's like the Ronaldo of F1. Brilliant, but really hard to like.

Libby likes this.
  9. fatletiss

For me he's not much different to other years. Me. Me. Me. Please like me. Please like me.

10. Le Tissier's Laces

I wrote an article about him years ago for a magazine - about how he needed to focus on being a multiple champion rather than a celebrity - and how by doing so he will gain the celebrity he so craves. I'll try and dig it out.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Like I said... we may see it differently then :)

P.s. I know it's not the right thread but you going Farmhouse pre-Inter?

12. fatletiss

Depending on traffic, yes. Always difficult to judge midweek though.

Libby likes this.
  13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Murray takes first set 6-3 v Tsonga in Vienna.

They really look after their ball boys in Austria. They pick up and catch balls with nets so less bending down and they also have small padded stools to kneel on. :)

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Murray wins the title in a tie break in 2nd set, but Tsonga really took it to him.

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

Lewis really needs a good start today

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Eventful start! <yikes>

Hamilton locked up and cut a corner.

Safety car out

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Pivotal moment there with Rosberg coming out of pits just in front of red bulls.

Barring something major this is only going to finish Hamilton 1st & Nico 2nd

18. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Watched the first 10 laps then turned off

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Vettel not happy with Max <laugh>

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

I stuck with it and the latter stages have actually been better than the earlier ones.