1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Sports Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, Oct 24, 2016.

1. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

Cubs win the world series in baseball. Some finish.They've waited over a hundred years to win it. Not a fascinating sport but one I pay a passing interest to after being to a good few games over there

2. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

3. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I have absolutely no interest in baseball, but even I know that the Chicago Cubs have always been a team that never gets anywhere. They are famous for it. The name and reputation occasionally pops up for derision in films, for example, with characters wearing Cubs shirts to illustrate that they themselves are mediocre.

Anyway, Bill Murray loves them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37856511

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Laces tells me he's a very good driver. Waltzed through F2 -apparently. Perhaps he should do strictly next year also.

5. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Former Chelsea and Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas is set to earn a reported £11m a year after taking over Chinese Super League team Shanghai SIPG.

Jesus, just when you thought the money couldn't get anymore obscene the Chinese raise the bar again.

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Cilic beats Djokovic in straight sets. Now over to you, Andy.

7. fran-MLs little camera

Murray takes 1st set vs. Berdych after being 6-1 down in the tie break.

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Has Djokovic just switched off completely? Watching him at Wimbledon post Roland Garros, gone was the intensity in his play. Could he just sustain an "injury" leading up to the O2 tournament as he seriously needs some rest. It must be hard to maintain that level which he has for the best part of 4 or 5 consecutive years. Welcome to your new status Andy! I have a feeling he will go into the Oz Open, and unlike Djoko or Nadal, Andy is one of those players who can pace himself through a tournament without busting a gut such is his skill level, and then has the capability to up it when necessary as we all saw in Rio!!!

9. fran-MLs little camera

Murray won 7-6, 7-5

Only has to win the semi tomorrow and he is world number one. :)

10. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

11. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

As you said, SR it is devastating news. Now he has to be mentally strong which I am sure he has in abundance.

12. TheSecondStain

Whilst I am in no way interested in tennis, there was a time in ancient past, when I was, so I feel I can comment on this. Djokovic strikes me as a player who greatly draws upon something from within. There are several more talented players around, but Djokovic has a determination which he can call upon from within himself. It's his sheer will to not be defeated which carries him through, because under most circumstances, his will and his measure of skill is enough. So more talented players can't overcome him. However, if that passion is ever blunted, by injury, lack of confidence, or indeed by being satisfied, he becomes far less of a champion, despite his own efforts. There may yet be a big enough championship where by he can raise his will to win, though he has won so much. Even the hungriest athlete eventually becomes satisfied with their lot. Perhaps Djokovic is.

The Ides of March likes this.
  13. fran-MLs little camera

Murray has been so consistent this year and, like Djokovic, he never knows when he's beaten. He was 6-1 down in a tie break and he won it...I wonder if champions are able to take each point as it comes whereas the rest of us fold when we look at a mountain to climb. I have seen players do really well against Murray...even take a set...but then sag when things turn against them....as if all hope becomes lost. I honestly thought Murray had peaked a couple of years ago and, being at the same age as Djokovic, I thought he would never make the top, but he's just getting stronger and stronger mentally. How he does it with his dodgy ankles and back I will never know....similar to Austin, Murray has no ankle ligaments (hence the ankle supports he's worn since his teens). I hope he gets the number one spot....even though it may be short lived with the last tournament of the season coming up soon in London.

14. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Rumours abound that Novak has a few major personal problems at the moment, which obviously don't help but like TSS I wonder whether he's not only tired physically and mentally but also thinks that he's done everything, whereas Andy still has a few targets to aim for - being number one, winning the French and Australian Opens being the three main ones.It's a heck of a long season for tennis players with near-enough 50 weeks of playing and training - Andy seems to have coped with this better this year than usual whereas Novak hasn't.

Andy should beat Raonic this afternoon and will be No 1 earlier than even he expected. Good luck, Andy!!

15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Nope, I was referring to Stoffel Vandoorne.

This kid is good too though.

fatletiss likes this.
  16. fran-MLs little camera

Raonic pulls out of his match v Murray, so Andy is number one. Shame in a way, but have to look forward to final tomorrow.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  17. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Murray haters will now be saying that he doesn't deserve the No 1 because he was helped by Raonic pulling out :mad: I really hope he wins the final tomorrow.

18. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

19. TheSecondStain

Is Judy Murray standing in a hole or do tennis balls weigh so much.?

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

They'll be the same people who say player X is rubbish after having on bad game.... Murray deserves this because of what happens over the many years of hard work and effort.

Well done Murray.