1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Germany 1-5 England

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Alert, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Fifteen years ago.

David Seaman
    Gary Neville
    Ashley Cole
    Steven Gerrard
    Rio Ferdinand
    Sol Campbell
    David Beckham
    Paul Scholes
    Emile Heskey
    Michael Owen
    Nicky Barmby

was at the game. what has happened to England since? Beaten by Iceland.

2. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

remember it so well, watched it in a harbourside bar on menorca, in a moment of stupidity i made a bet with the wife to do something i had never done before or since - win this and i"ii sing karaoke later, she swears to this day they had to prop me up in front of the mic whilst i performed the del mix of crying, thank god there were no video phones in those day.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Or so you thought <whistle>

4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I was at Bristol airport waiting to fly to Barcalona.
    Everyone was gathered around a tiny TV in the centre of the departure lounge.
    Germany scored - then our flights were announced.
    I saw the score about 24 hours later when I read a day-old Sun newspaper.
    Typical - missed 1966 by being born 6 months too late and missed a brilliant win by being in the air!!!

5. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

even Heskey scored that night!!

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

You raise an interesting debate there.
    Heskey didn't score many - and a striker is supposed to score of course, but have you noticed how many assists he got when in the England team?
    Every striker LOVED partnering him - he could hold the ball up whilst you had time to drink the last of your lager, stub your fag out and stroll forward for a tap-in.
    He was an easy target man - you could play a 30 yard ball to him and he would trap it and control it.
    Very underestimated imho.

7. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

How many of the current XI would get in that team?

8. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Holland beaten at home by Greece last night, didn't quality for Euros- Currently as bad as us- Wonder if any parallels, comparisons and conclusions could be drawn?

9. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

People can slate England all they like but considering the talent they have, Holland are without doubt worse than us at the moment. It's (very slightly) comforting to know that it's not just us.

10. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Yes,thats how I feel, but just think that there could be a common denominator or something- No idea what it is- I would be in football myself if I had the answer

11. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

They would have been too young

RedorDead and BCFCRob like this.
  12. Cliftonville

At present the Dutch talent pool is shallow. That can be understandable given the size of the nation, its number of players, league strength - Dutch second division football sees gates of low thousands to hundreds, and the gulf in income.

Summary. England are rank given the advantages the Country should have.

13. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

Holland have a 14 million population, we have over 60 million. not that comforting!!

14. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Iceland have a population of 330,000 yet we still lost to them and they qualified for the Euros.

15. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

using that logic, the usa, russia, china etc would win everythng, yet we do well in a raft of sports, top 2 or3 in the world in rugby, cricket, etc plus top 2 in the olyimpics, we should celebrate what a great sporting nation we are.

NickH likes this.
  16. Cliftonville

Why should failure v Iceland be celebrated?

The Olympic success of Team GB is down to long term planning x lottery funding.

Per capita England has less coaches than Iceland. Grass roots football in this Country has neither the financing or organisation of its counterparts in Europe. A disgrace for a nation which sees ninety million pound transfer fees.

17. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

there will be a number of people in any of 300 countries who are good at something ... it maybe that the fastest runner over 5k might be from the UK however the next 8 fastest over 5k may all come from the same country! At any given time any country will have someone better than anyone else from that country and with good fortune be the number 1 world wide .....
    Iceland 330,000 . .. .. .. .01% is 330 pretty much the average number of competitors from the top 10 nations
    6000 is .01% of our population 32, 160 USA and 137,600 Chinese

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  18. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Size means very little (!)
    Fact is the football culture of British youth has been disappearing steadily since 1966. In Milan, Madrid or on Copacabana Beach, a kid gets the rights to the block by pulling a new trick which leaves the hard-arsed defender chewing grass (or sand). It gets him adored, or gets him a nice pair of dadoonifers to play with, or it maybe keeps him safe, so he relies on artistry for that.
    In Britain, kids don't play on the streets. They stopped doing that in the seventies. Park football (correct me if i'm wrong Cliff) is mostly about hoof ball and little by way of experienced and inspired coaching, or the development of artistic expression on a football field. On some pitches, a trick will see people hate you for expressing yourself in that way (or more accurately being able to). Its a dumbing down comparable to anything from the current worlds of British music, education, politics or media, and its been happening for 40 years. So our stock is very thin (next to bankruptcy). Its now all about high end investment, private ownership (sorry but that is a conservative obsession) and greed.

There is plenty of investment to build large stadiums, so that more spectators can spend ever more money to watch Bjorn, Francois, Jurgen and Juan Carlos parade their sweet skills while they fool us into thinking the English boys are really THAT good, but not much investment in the roots of it all.
    And after all, the kids can always go play on their computer anyhow

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  19. Cliftonville

Too much is. Things are improving, there are now nationwide very good football schools, development centres and junior clubs. I have also seen kids teams that are selecting kids due to their size, pace and power allied to bullying (including violence) tactics, and that is at under eights, under nines ..Levels.

Joined up it is not. And that is where the richest league in the world and its lucre is needed. Sadly the idea of common good and altruism is alien to the EPL etc.

20. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

That's hardly the metric we should be using though is it. Nothing in sport works that way.

Going by that logic we are well and truly punching above our weight being where we are!