1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guesses?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Prince Knut, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Saw this earlier. Already lots of rumours about who might be. If anything not confirming just makes it worse as now loads of rumours about who it may or may not be.

Its a shame it’s such a big deal and secret. If it is true, then would hope could be announced and then just move on like no biggie.

3. Prince Knut

It is a 'Biggie' though Bisc, isn't it? I 100% agree that when the damn breaks it will (and should be) as normal as your friends, family and workmates being gay, but I do think the first Prem players, especially on the same side*, should be a landmark moment.

* No pun intended.

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  4. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Personally couldn't care less and don't understand why so many people do .

5. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

I don’t think we’re the ones that it will be aimed at really.

I guess have to ask young teenagers, especially makes that are gay or still working out how they fit in and are footballers and atm see no one in their profession like them and wondering if that means they can’t carry on playing.

Prince Knut likes this.
  6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Saw this yesterday, my response was...

Don't give a ****, good luck to them

7. saintKlopp

Me neither. I suppose the authors of this stuff will claim some contextual relevance given the impending World Cup, but it just seems like another bit of gratuitous sensationalism.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

I think the whole thing is that this is not really about the fact that they don't want to reveal all but that the usual rags are hunting them and publishing the story to sell their toilet paper versions of newspapers.

Imo thats the real issue, their choice is actually their choice isn't it?

9. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

That's a bit of an odd take.

Zanjinho likes this.
  10. Prince Knut

Have to admit that I hadn't realised that the story originated in the S*n, so yes, you have a point. But, I still maintain, as I said to Bisc, two Prem players (especially from the same team) coming out should be epoch-making. I'd be fascinated to see the reaction of a team with a right-wing fanbase like Chelsea, for instance, if it's them.

johnsonsbaby likes this.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

Its inclusion.

same are girls looking at "stars" seeing all male and not sticking with it how many years is it since WSL was put onto sky main stream (free) 2? that's not even viewable by the vast majority of people . the Lionessess bullshit is all about making heros for girls to encourage them to kick a ball about

Same for LGBTQ++ there's far more examples of why not to play than reasons to play when a 14 or 15 year old looks about. they see nothing but abuse and risk, which is why they hide their situation until post career if they are any good or just drop out. again 10 years ago.... none of this was really thought about much so we didn't solve it yet.

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  12. moreinjuredthanowen

yes it would but there's reasons why they didn't want to and are being forced out in a wave of nosiness. the abuse up and down the prem week in and week out just for an example.

I note why you've said a club and don't want to push more but also note that players have been "injured" for the world cup and all.

Its something that could be positive but done for the wrong reasons (selling rags) rather than the right reasons (inspiring kids and giving football the chance to normalise this)

As we speak not one single "top" player has come out in the prime or early part of career and gone through the pain of normalising LGBTQ++ in the football arena or very many other impact sports either.

Until all clubs can make the effort to show this is good then its the unspoken nod that not talking about it is easier and we all continue on while of course kids don't see it as something for them.

I suppose these players can count themselves lucky they are not in the USA where we had the womens toilets debacle and trump got involved. You'd hope on one level they'd be elft off but i am sure the rags will do everything to drive them naming themselves.

Prince Knut likes this.
  13. johnsonsbaby

Speaking personally, I've got two gay nephews and they haven't been put off anything.

I completely understand the role model aspect, (not just in sport but in all walks of life). I just think claiming that a teenage footballer with the capacity to make it would be put off because they don't see any gay players at the top is an odd take. Some people claim that the sport is full of gays anyway, they just aren't out.

Prince Knut and Zanjinho like this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

i don't think its odd at all.

If you are not made welcome then theres a barrier. I'm glad you've an example where its worked out.

99% of stories i have read and hear are kids suffering through this process in general

Prince Knut likes this.
  15. johnsonsbaby

Parents raising children to focus on their sexuality as being significant in any way are doing a poor job in their parenting.

Prince Knut likes this.
  16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I think it's an easy and convenient excuse. Its the way of the world for modern day youngsters unfortunately; if at first you don't succeed, give up and blame someone else.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  17. moreinjuredthanowen

given the two faced antics on i'm a celebrity i'd say its exaclty the opposite.

the older members are being complete and utter two faced ****s to the tory (including referring to him as such to dehumanise and don't even realise they are at it) the youngest z listers in there are not even bothers but the toryboy and see his efforts as honest enough so they just ge ton with getting on for the 14 days or whatever.

anyway... young folk are told a lot of things by angry old folk who have caused most of their issues in the first place. kids are alright <ok>

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

That your Bible then? I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here <laugh>

19. saintKlopp

#ageist

20. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

why?